Patriots getting hosed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Patriots getting hosed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup. The clock running off 10 seconds after they awarded Denver a "bonus injury timeout" was probably the most absurd.
Oddly, that was the rare call the refs got right. (Probably because it was a rules call, not a judgment call.) The clock was stopped after the completed pass to allow an injured Bronco to get off the field. Once he was off the field and the the ball was spotted, the clock restarted. Surprised the Brady/Belichick braintrust didn't know that rule.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The fix was absolutely in... line opened - 3.5 vegas was up to something here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What Chung did was textbook def-holding.

Nonsense, he never even impeded the receiver. It happens on every single pass play. It that is holding, then what Denver did to Gronk on his Offensive PI call is holding too. Meanwhile, LaFell was freaking tackled in OT and no call. Hell, he was wrapped up while the ball was in the air too. Roger Goodell exacted some revenge last night via the zebras. That's about all.

But if Brady ever throws another deep sideline route to Chandler, or Josh calls for one, they both need to be slapped upside the head.

Reaction Score
Yes what a badge of honor. You can join the list of clowns I'm stuck calling out here.

Crying about referees. Pretty sad, but there are worse crimes for sure.

Whaler put me on some list. With a bunch of other boneyarders on that list. What a disappointing start to the week.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Gotta love Giants fans who feel the need to hijack Patriots related threads. Where are the Giants threads so I can go over there and tell them to quit whining and sahq on it???

Reaction Score
Oddly, that was the rare call the refs got right. (Probably because it was a rules call, not a judgment call.) The clock was stopped after the completed pass to allow an injured Bronco to get off the field. Once he was off the field and the the ball was spotted, the clock restarted. Surprised the Brady/Belichick braintrust didn't know that rule.

It is a weird rule though. Because if the team has a timeout, then the timeout is expended. So you're punishing the offense because the defense ran out of timeouts. The logic on it is totally off, even though the refs got it right.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Yeah, I didn't know that rule either until after it was explained well after the 15 minutes post-post edit period. I take that gripe back. I thought the refs awarded the Broncos a freebie timeout because of the injury. I didn't realize it was a clock re-start deal.

Gotta give Brady/Belichick credit here though. Instead of sulking and whining about it like some other teams do (John Harbaugh, Big Ben, Tomlin), they continued on their drive and got into FG range.

Reaction Score
Gotta love Giants fans who feel the need to hijack Patriots related threads. Where are the Giants threads so I can go over there and tell them to quit whining and sahq on it???
In all fairness, there is a Pro Sports section on the BY so this thread shouldn't even be here.

Dooley

Reaction Score
What Chung did was textbook def-holding.

I didn't have a problem with the call either. But much like complaining an ump's strike zone, I want consistency. If Chung gets a flag, Talib should've gotten one in OT too.

But eh, what's done is done. On to Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
There has never been a professional team with fewet fans than the Patrios between 1975/1995.

That they could leverage Hartford for a stadium shows how sad it was.
Those days were fun being a Patriots fan. Had season tickets in 1990. The bandwagon exploded with Brady, not Bledsoe. Though Bledsoe gave us hope.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It sucks to lose the game last night, but the reality for the Patriots is that they need to get healthy somehow. Thankfully it doesn't seem like Gronk's injury isn't too severe and that Amendola/Collins could return soon, but it's crazy how many key players have gone down in consecutive weeks

Big sigh of relief over the Gronk apparent news. Hightower is a big loss that was overshadowed by Gronk's injury last night. We need Collins or Hightower on the field because without either, our second level is quite a bit slower and those bounce plays that Anderson ran with little resistance last night will crush us.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm a Giants, Yankees and Knicks fan. I don't like the Red Sox but I've always respected their fans, I like the Celts, I don't like the Patriots but over 90% of it is the fans. As I've stated here many times before growing up in CT. I didn't see any Patriots fans, now when I go back they are everywhere. You talk to any real fans and they will tell you how much they can't stand the pink hats. The Red Sox got some of them when they broke through and started winning in the 2000's but the Patriots seem to have a whole fanbase of them. I'm not sure if upstater is a pink hat or not but he's on a Uconn site and all he ever posts about is his defense of all things Patriots and Penn State football, it's just weird.

There is a reason why franchises like the Cowboys, Yankees and Patriots are valued in the billions - they all have a deeper, more diverse customer base to sell merchandising. Personally, I wouldn't wear a green Yankees hat or a yellow Patriots sweatshirt...it's not my taste either. Our football coach wore a red UConn sweater on Saturday and while I'm sure HFD spat all over his TV, I didn't hear much fuss about it. Sports marketing is much different today than it was back when we grew up. There were never pink Yankee hats in the 80s. But MLB and the Yankees realized that fans come in all forms and have made billions of more dollars by offering more people more product choice.

Dooley

Reaction Score
There has never been a professional team with fewet fans than the Patrios between 1975/1995.

That they could leverage Hartford for a stadium shows how sad it was.

There is a very easy explanation to this: no professional team lost more between 75-95 than the Patriots. I grew up a Patriots/Yankees fan combo (to make it even worse, I also was a diehard Whaler fan!) and there wasn't a day that my friends would bust my stones about it. They all rooted for the Giants/Red Sox because that combo won games back then. Even as a wee lad, I've always understood that sports are cyclical. So every time my buddies would claim that the Pats/Yanks would never win, I would scoff as much as I scoff at the idea that Pats/Yanks fans claim today that those teams will always win. But it's years like the 80s and 90s that make 2000-2015 all the more rewarding. Same thing with UConn football. It's the Pasqualoni era type years, with putrid crowds at the Rent, that will make future years of winning in front of packed houses all the more enjoyable.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, there is a Pro Sports section on the BY so this thread shouldn't even be here.
True, because every single thread on this board is related to UConn football.

Or maybe you could...I dunno...let the moderators moderate. Just an idea.

Reaction Score
True, because every single thread on this board is related to UConn football.

Or maybe you could...I dunno...let the moderators moderate. Just an idea.
Most are at least college football related. Thanks for the input though sport!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"It's a conspiracy against us" say fans of the team that went to 6 Super Bowls and won 4 since 2001.

Dooley

Reaction Score
As a TB Bucs fan of 37 years, I would strongly debate this stat. ;)

Fair point. I forget about the non-northeast located teams from my own little bubble. :)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Superjohn's posts provide about as much clarity as exists on the Boneyard.

When it comes to things New York vs Boston, that couldn't be further from the truth.

Reaction Score
"It's a conspiracy against us" say fans of the team that went to 6 Super Bowls and won 4 since 2001.
One fan in this thread said that, and now it's all fans who are saying that.

The only thing worse than conspiracy theorists are people who take those opinions and try to make it sound like it's the entire fan base's.

Reaction Score
Are there some bandwagon fans? Sure, but this isn't anything new in sports. Whenever a professional sports team wins a lot, bandwagon fans are bound to pop up anywhere. It happened with the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc so to use a sweeping generalization to apply to all Boston teams isn't entirely accurate or fair.
I didn't apply it to all Boston teams, I applied it to the Patriots.

Reaction Score
There is one on the men's basketball board and nobody is whining. Giants fans are saying they suck and calling out mistakes Coughlin and Eli continue to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom