Pascal Chukwu | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Pascal Chukwu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
“The Chukwu thing, I was blown away by. I didn’t know he was unhappy,” coach Cooley told the Providence Journal. “It was a total shocker. It blew me completely out of the water.”

Providence coach Cooley was quite candid in discussing with the Providence Journal the issues of so many players transferring recently.

“Any kid, when they’re unhappy with anything, they think there’s a quick fix somewhere else. I call them the ‘microwave generation.’ It’s the age of instant gratification. Not many kids want to persevere if they don’t get what they want right away. The ones who do become like LaDontae Henton (one of Providence’s all-time leading scorers who progressed yearly at the school).”
I have nothing against Ed Cooley, other than wondering how his performance at Fairfield really justified a promotion. He had one decent team there that won exactly nothing. Regardless, this statement along with the stuff from the behind-the-scenes piece about PC's loss to Dayton makes me wonder if he has any idea what's going on. I'm sure he's a good guy and has some positive qualities, but he seems out of his depth.

Reaction Score
Who is saying he is a must have? I don't get that at all. I think we all acknowledge with our scholarship situation and that fact he is a local kid would make him a nice addition. But other than you, I don't hear anyone say he is a musty have.

Show me the post where I say he is a must-have for UConn.. I've never said that. Idk where you're getting that from

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Show me the post where I say he is a must-have for UConn.. I've never said that. Idk where you're getting that from

The only person who has called him a "must-have" is the guy who looks for excuses to dump on the coaching staff. Therefore, if Chukwu chooses to go elsewhere, he can make a thread slamming their lack of recruiting acumen (which is funny because none of us know whether or not we actually reached out to him).

Reaction Score

LOL. You did in your previous post.

"With UConn's history of developing players at every position, I understand why many of us are saying he is a "must-have". Especially since our front court will look different by the time Paschal is eligible.

Reaction Score
Here is what you said in its entirety. Pretty sure you say he is a must have.
We are gonna have a ton of scholarship availability for 2016-2017. Considering that, I'd take a 7'2 Center with a year of play + a development year under his belt + 3 remaining years of eligibility left any day of the week.

With UConn's history of developing players at every position, I understand why many of us are saying he is a "must-have". Especially since our front court will look different by the time Paschal is eligible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think you are misreading the quotes. The way I read it, only the first one is about Chukwu. The second one is about transfers generally, so he's not talking about a specific kid.

We can agree to disagree, for sure, but I think given the context of the article and Cooley's talk with the reporter, it seems like he's talking about Chukwu and some other transfers.

Reaction Score
Here is what you said in its entirety. Pretty sure you say he is a must have.

Reasons I don't like pronouns. By "us" I meant posters in general, not to imply I think he is a must have.

For the record, I do agree with you that he would be a nice addition. Just making a case as to why UConn should pursue him if they haven't yet.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I still can't figure this out as a sensible basketball decision on Chukwu's part.
The basketball decision that should have been questioned was choosing PC to begin with. Realizing that it is not a place to build a basketball career is pretty much a no-brainer.

Reaction Score
So I don't normally do this because usually half the people who read it will just think it's nonsense BUT I have a source! One of Cooleys old staff members at Fairfield works with me now. He's still very connected to Cooley and chatted with him yesterday and he assured me UConn is very in the mix... What is that worth? Probably nothing....but it is just something I felt like reporting!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So I don't normally do this because usually half the people who read it will just think it's nonsense BUT I have a source! One of Cooleys old staff members at Fairfield works with me now. He's still very connected to Cooley and chatted with him yesterday and he assured me UConn is very in the mix... What is that worth? Probably nothing....but it is just something I felt like reporting!
Do you work at a car wash?

Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree, for sure, but I think given the context of the article and Cooley's talk with the reporter, it seems like he's talking about Chukwu and some other transfers.

Don't think we're disagreeing. Your original post said "said it about one of our players". Now your post says "talking about Chuckwu and some other transfers".

Singling out one player is different than talking about a number of players, even if those players are identifiable. Cooley did the latter, not the former.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Don't think we're disagreeing. Your original post said "said it about one of our players". Now your post says "talking about Chuckwu and some other transfers".

Singling out one player is different than talking about a number of players, even if those players are identifiable. Cooley did the latter, not the former.

Why does it matter if he's talking about just Chukwu, or Chukwu and others? Either way, it reeks of sour grapes when the article is about Chukwu leaving Providence, and Cooley says "some kids" try to take the easy way out.

Reaction Score
Why does it matter if he's talking about just Chukwu, or Chukwu and others? Either way, it reeks of sour grapes when the article is about Chukwu leaving Providence, and Cooley says "some kids" try to take the easy way out.

Its a difference between bad mouthing an individual kid and speaking generally to the issue why so many kids transfer theses days.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Its a difference between bad mouthing an individual kid and speaking generally to the issue why so many kids transfer theses days.

Context is important here. He made the quote to a reporter who was writing an article about Pascal Chukwu transferring from Providence, and he gave quotes to the author about the same subject in (assumedly) the same interview. It's not hard to see where that comment was rooted.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you have something like this in the future don't hesitate to post it! Half of us think that the "half the people" thinking this is nonsense are full of nonsense.

Reaction Score
I was told this evening Paschal will not be coming to UConn. I can confirm we did contact him and while Paschal likes coach ollie and the program he will be headed elsewhere. Currently his list is Kansas, MSU, Nebraska, UVA and Maryland. From what i was told UVA is a slight front-runner.

All focus should be on Larrier and rising seniors for 2016.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I was told this evening Paschal will not be coming to UConn. I can confirm we did contact him and while Paschal likes coach ollie and the program he will be headed elsewhere. Currently his list is Kansas, MSU, Nebraska, UVA and Maryland. From what i was told UVA is a slight front-runner.

I'm going to hope you're wrong, but thanks for passing this on regardless.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Thanks!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not the end of the world if true. The last time he selected a lesser school when coming here was an option we went on and wont the title. It's good for our mojo.

Regardless, I wish the kid well.

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for this kid to do big things since he went to my HS, at UCONN or not. I would be psyched to see him land at UVA or MSU. Couldn't go wrong with either. Seems pretty obvious he wants to go to a big state school. I'm guessing his host family initially pushed him towards the small Catholic schools.

Reaction Score
We know that he averaged 2 points a game as a frosh and bailed on a team after one season. Those two facts alone make him far from a must have.

We also know that he's 7'2" and raw, and believe that a number of traditional contending programs would take him. That is enough to know that he's worth a schollie given that we have two open.

Other than that, good luck to the young man and we'll see where he ends up.

Reaction Score
As a Dad of late teens and early 20s, I have no problem with Ed Cooley's basic statement. LeDontae Henton is a good example. Find something that you are good at it and work at it. Switching schools, transfers, switching jobs ... I think there's always something to be said for a young kid to stick things out.

But ... if you are a foreign national in a homogenous Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34