Pascal Chukwu | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Pascal Chukwu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I still can't figure this out as a sensible basketball decision on Chukwu's part. Granted, the new BE is not the old BE. Granted, FoxSports 1 is not ESPN. In fact, it's all but invisible to bb fans. But, as soon as Dunn announced his return, his name ascended the list of National POY candidates. And you are all set to be slotted in as the starting center on a team led by Kris Dunn. If Dunn makes you look good, you will be noticed. It ain't Ky, but it ain't a junior college, either. Seems like a starting center on a team led by one of, if not the best, pg in the country would be very appealing. Just seems like he's walking away from a great opportunity, only to start over elsewhere. I can only conclude he must have been very miserable there to walk away from that. You're the starting center. Kris Dunn is your pg. What exactly are you thinking?

Reaction Score
I still can't figure this out as a sensible basketball decision on Chukwu's part. Granted, the new BE is not the old BE. Granted, FoxSports 1 is not ESPN. In fact, it's all but invisible to bb fans. But, as soon as Dunn announced his return, his name ascended the list of National POY candidates. And you are all set to be slotted in as the starting center on a team led by Kris Dunn. If Dunn makes you look good, you will be noticed. It ain't Ky, but it ain't a junior college, either. Seems like a starting center on a team led by one of, if not the best, pg in the country would be very appealing. Just seems like he's walking away from a great opportunity, only to start over elsewhere. I can only conclude he must have been very miserable there to walk away from that. You're the starting center. Kris Dunn is your pg. What exactly are you thinking?

Well, he was stuck in Providence.

Reaction Score

He's thinking he played less than 10 minutes and thought he deserved more. Tough to repair those thoughts with a coach you don't trust so why stay? It's not like with just Dunn they will win, heck they couldn't with other decent players. Time to move on to a program who knows what winning really is and can take the time to work on things for a year to strengthen himself and his game. Great move from what I can see!

Reaction Score
Totally agree that Kris Dunn would help Paschal but if you're not happy in the situation in which you find yourself, chances are your performance will suffer too. Kris Dunn or not, Paschal has to be happy where he is.

I think that's what he was thinking.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Totally agree that Kris Dunn would help Paschal but if you're not happy in the situation in which you find yourself, chances are your performance will suffer too. Kris Dunn or not, Paschal has to be happy where he is.

I think that's what he was thinking.

Any sense about whether he is looking at UConn as a possibility?

Reaction Score
Hearing from someone I consider a good source at Providence. Chukwu kept his feelings from their staff and teammates. Teammates as stunned as Cooley. Kid has a huge ego. Wants to be at a program where everything will revolve around him. Fancies himself to be the next Wilt Chamberlain.

Brian Williams in his most imaginative state couldn't be as erroneous as this.

Reaction Score
Any sense about whether he is looking at UConn as a possibility?

Haven't heard anything about UConn but I would be very surprised if UConn didn't do their due diligence and at least gauge Paschal's interest. UConn, specifically Ollie and Ricky, attended a lot of Paschal's games while he was at Prep. So the interest was there then and with Brimah's NBA future on the horizon, I would assume that interest is still there now.

Reaction Score
Haven't heard anything about UConn but I would be very surprised if UConn didn't do their due diligence and at least gauge Paschal's interest. UConn, specifically Ollie and Ricky, attended a lot of Paschal's games while he was at Prep. So the interest was there then and with Brimah's NBA future on the horizon, I would assume that interest is still there now.
I am not so sure. Judging how KO reacted to Mack, he may not be willing to go the extra mile a second time around. My guess is that Paschal really has to prove to the staff he wants UConn, not vice versa.

Reaction Score
I am not so sure. Judging how KO reacted to Mack, he may not be willing to go the extra mile a second time around. My guess is that Paschal really has to prove to the staff he wants UConn, not vice versa.
KO didn't go after Mack because he was focused on Gibbs - the day Mack was released from his LOI at VCU was the same day there was the quote from KO saying that he had a couple of recruits on the brink of committing.

Given that we don't seem to be seriously considering any 2016 Cs, reaching out to Chukwu seems like the smart thing to do.

Reaction Score

But for all we know, Ollie may not have gone after Mack the second time around because either A) he wanted Gibbs a lot more and knew we could get him; and/or B) it was obvious that Mack was just going to end up following Shaka.

Ollie had no problem giving Purvis a second chance and doesn't seem to mind doing the same for Larrier either.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the key difference with Mack was that the coach he liked still wanted him. In some of the other recent "second chance" situations, the original coach was off the table.

Reaction Score

If Kansas is a potential landing spot, he's probably thinking "f#$% Providence".

Reaction Score

A transfer as highly touted as Paschal who is currently the holder of offers from perennial contenders won't be begging for offers or proving his desires to play for a school that hasn't contacted him. If the schools don't come knocking, it's their loss--not his.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
KO didn't go after Mack because he was focused on Gibbs - the day Mack was released from his LOI at VCU was the same day there was the quote from KO saying that he had a couple of recruits on the brink of committing.

Given that we don't seem to be seriously considering any 2016 Cs, reaching out to Chukwu seems like the smart thing to do.
At the same time I feel like Ollie is going all-in on Zach Brown. He has heavy UConn roots and Boo Willingham is very close to Brown. He's his AAU coach and works out with him daily. Going after Chukwu might jeopardize that.

Reaction Score
But for all we know, Ollie may not have gone after Mack the second time around because either A) he wanted Gibbs a lot more and knew we could get him; and/or B) it was obvious that Mack was just going to end up following Shaka.

Ollie had no problem giving Purvis a second chance and doesn't seem to mind doing the same for Larrier either.
ummm, Gibbs and Mack play different positions and given our scholarship situation, each player was exclusive of one another. KO could have very easily recruited both. Like I said, I have no doubt that KO would give Paschal a second chance, but the effort has to come from the kids part. From what I understood with Purvis, he reached out to UConn after realizing his mistake. I expect the same here. Its not that UConn wouldn't accept Paschal, but I highly doubt the staff will put the full court press on this kid.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
“The Chukwu thing, I was blown away by. I didn’t know he was unhappy,” coach Cooley told the Providence Journal. “It was a total shocker. It blew me completely out of the water.”

Providence coach Cooley was quite candid in discussing with the Providence Journal the issues of so many players transferring recently.

“Any kid, when they’re unhappy with anything, they think there’s a quick fix somewhere else. I call them the ‘microwave generation.’ It’s the age of instant gratification. Not many kids want to persevere if they don’t get what they want right away. The ones who do become like LaDontae Henton (one of Providence’s all-time leading scorers who progressed yearly at the school).”

This bugs me, and I'd be pretty upset if Calhoun or Ollie said it about one of our players who was leaving the program. Just like the coaches who whine when a kid is considering leaving for the draft. Just shut your mouth, wish the kid the best and move on. No reason to trash him on the way out.

Reaction Score
A transfer as highly touted as Paschal who is currently the holder of offers from perennial contenders won't be begging for offers or proving his desires to play for a school that hasn't contacted him. If the schools don't come knocking, it's their loss--not his.
Its been pretty clear from the beginning that you are here with an agenda. There is a reason why Paschal averaged 9 mins and 2 points a game last year. The kid is a project with upside. If he doesn't choose wisely, the loss will undoubtedly be his. Not sure where you loyalty lies, but I am sure that Paschal(as humble as you say he is) is no where near a program changer here at UConn. A nice addition, sure. But the program will be just fine if he goes elsewhere. Besides, you can't even confirm if UConn has reached out for him. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Reaction Score
Its been pretty clear from the beginning that you are here with an agenda. There is a reason why Paschal averaged 9 mins and 2 points a game last year. The kid is a project with upside. If he doesn't choose wisely, the loss will undoubtedly be his. Not sure where you loyalty lies, but I am sure that Paschal(as humble as you say he is) is no where near a program changer here at UConn. A nice addition, sure. But the program will be just fine if he goes elsewhere. Besides, you can't even confirm if UConn has reached out for him. Maybe there is a reason for that.

I'm not claiming to have every answer--if I did, I'd be working for a recruiting website and not responding to you. I do have ties to Paschal, but not necessarily this particular situation- sorry that I can't confirm what no one else knows either.

I have no agenda. Just giving my thoughts like everyone else. I figured I could add something worthwhile. Again, I'm not on the inside of this situation and not trying to give that impression.

I think he's better than a project but I agree he has a big upside. His minutes played at PC are a huge factor in why he left. So your argument doesn't really hold water. But there is no argument that he isn't in high demand by high majors. I believe he will be a big boost by the end of his tenure to any school he ends up at. Apparently Duke KU and others think so as well.

Reaction Score
Why I don't get excited about recruiting
When we were recruiting him ,The kid in the eyes of the board Was a highly regarded local kid . A must
When he chose PC he became a 4 year project a back_up at UConn if he came here
No big loss.
At PC a freshman under achiever,we were kind of happy we didn't waste a scholarship on. Actually kind of forgotten.
Transferring from PC ,his stock soared ,he became the guy we could use to replace Brimah,dare I say It , a must.
Kansas gets in the mix , his stature grows to the next superstar lottery pick
You can go from bum to hero to superstar overnight in the recruiting world without actually achieving anything on the court.
The Chukwu narrative could be an SNL skit.

Reaction Score
I'm not claiming to have every answer--if I did, I'd be working for a recruiting website and not responding to you. I do have ties to Paschal, but not necessarily this particular situation- sorry that I can't confirm what no one else knows either.

I have no agenda. Just giving my thoughts like everyone else. I figured I could add something worthwhile. Again, I'm not on the inside of this situation and not trying to give that impression.

I think he's better than a project but I agree he has a big upside. His minutes played at PC are a huge factor in why he left. So your argument doesn't really hold water. But there is no argument that he isn't in high demand by high majors. I believe he will be a big boost by the end of his tenure to any school he ends up at. Apparently Duke KU and others think so as well.
So he should go to Duke or KU then. I saw him play last year and as I said a few times now, he would be a welcome addition here but very far from a can't miss. And I say this only because of the number of scholarships we have. In my mind, UConn has enough "projects" in their front court but since Paschal is over 7 ', he is worth a shot. The height is there, but like so many others, the skill set is tbd. His minutes were a huge factor to him??? I am fairly confident that if Cooley felt he could contribute more and help the team win, he would have played more. If he can't get on the floor at Providence, good luck at these other schools who are supposedly coveting him.

Reaction Score
This bugs me, and I'd be pretty upset if Calhoun or Ollie said it about one of our players who was leaving the program. Just like the coaches who whine when a kid is considering leaving for the draft. Just shut your mouth, wish the kid the best and move on. No reason to trash him on the way out.

I think you are misreading the quotes. The way I read it, only the first one is about Chukwu. The second one is about transfers generally, so he's not talking about a specific kid.

Reaction Score

I don't think Chuckwu is ready for the NBA after this coming season, and Dunn likely is. So Chuckwu may have gotten noticed this year, but might have been forgotten the year or two after.

Reaction Score
We are gonna have a ton of scholarship availability for 2016-2017. Considering that, I'd take a 7'2 Center with a year of play + a development year under his belt + 3 remaining years of eligibility left any day of the week.

With UConn's history of developing players at every position, I understand why many of us are saying he is a "must-have". Especially since our front court will look different by the time Paschal is eligible.

Reaction Score
djct1999 said:
ummm, Gibbs and Mack play different positions and given our scholarship situation, each player was exclusive of one another. KO could have very easily recruited both. Like I said, I have no doubt that KO would give Paschal a second chance, but the effort has to come from the kids part. From what I understood with Purvis, he reached out to UConn after realizing his mistake. I expect the same here. Its not that UConn wouldn't accept Paschal, but I highly doubt the staff will put the full court press on this kid.

They do play different positions, but there are only so many minutes to go around the perimeter especially with a guy like Adams who could play on or off the ball and will demand some PT. If we had shown Gibbs a blueprint where he'll play 30-35 minutes and then tried to add another guard to the equation (who might push Adams to more minutes at the one), in theory it could have caused Gibbs to rethink it and go somewhere else. And then if we don't get Mack (which may have been a long shot with Texas in the picture) we get neither. For long term goals, it would be better for us to get Mack, all things being equal, but all things weren't equal. Gibbs was pretty solid and there was never a hint of any Mack to UConn whispers after he decommited.

More likely, though, it wasn't so much a recruiting strategy and more that we just either figured Mack was a waste of energy. Or maybe that things just didn't end the first time in "the door is always open" fashion. That's the way it goes sometimes - and it could even be our fault (perhaps we put a full court press on him late and put heavy pressure on him and he recoiled a bit). Some parting of the ways are more amicable than others.

Reaction Score
We are gonna have a ton of scholarship availability for 2016-2017. Considering that, I'd take a 7'2 Center with a year of play + a development year under his belt + 3 remaining years of eligibility left any day of the week.

With UConn's history of developing players at every position, I understand why many of us are saying he is a "must-have". Especially since our front court will look different by the time Paschal is eligible.
Who is saying he is a must have? I don't get that at all. I think we all acknowledge with our scholarship situation and that fact he is a local kid would make him a nice addition. But other than you, I don't hear anyone say he is a must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom