Pascal Chukwu | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Pascal Chukwu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No insider info, but I would be shocked if Chukwu ended up at Alabama, even if PC's lead recruiter is there.

Reaction Score
Heard from a source close to the situation that Duke and Virginia also extended offers today. A lot of ACC activity so far, unsurprisingly.

Reaction Score
Matt (Chicago) said:
If I could post a right now it would be of @James applying some aloe to that burn he just got :D

I'll vouch a bit for @James - I think for the most part he is a pretty good poster. He has a pretty good eye for the game - he was singing Tyus Jones praises early in the year before I was convinced he'd be good enough late in the year as a freshman. And Jones was ridiculous down the stretch against Wisky. I admit I've wanted to argue with him sometimes on what I've though were overly negative assessments of Boat - but that's just hoops talk. Most of the yard would like to argue with me about my assessment of Marcus.

Now, on the other hand, persistent posts about censoring the board would be something that would get Fishy's dander up, whereas I as a non-moderator wouldn't notice or care much, so that might explain the difference in our evaluations. But James has brought some good discussion to the board too.

Reaction Score
Heard from a source close to the situation that Duke and Virginia also extended offers today. A lot of ACC activity so far, unsurprisingly.
I appreciate the updates. He is a local kid who supposedly wants to play close to home. In his home state, resides a blue blood, a 4x national champion, with a decent track record of getting bigs into the league. On paper, this decision is a no brainer. Lets see. By the way, if diversity is important, cross Duke off that list.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think you have to go after Chukwu, but he'll be active for the 2016-2017 season. Gotta think that might turn Zach Brown away if Chukwu stays for more than a year...

Reaction Score
I think you have to go after Chukwu, but he'll be active for the 2016-2017 season. Gotta think that might turn Zach Brown away if Chukwu stays for more than a year...
Well it doesn't really matter because Zach Brown isn't coming.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I think we actually do have a great shot with Brown.

Reaction Score
We need to go all in on Chukwu. He is a must get from a potential standpoint and a protect your home turf standpoint. I really hope the coaches focus and close this.

Reaction Score
I think we actually do have a great shot with Brown.
We are good with him right now. but look at our history with centers who are top ten in the country; Andrew Bynum and Andre Drummond. Bynum skipped UConn for the NBA, and Drummond was never going anywhere but UConn. I wouldn't count on Brown coming, since we really struggle in the recruitment of these elite centers. I'd rather grab Chukwu and just say "oh well" if Brown goes elsewhere, rather than putting the future of the center position on the shoulders of Brown.

Reaction Score
We need to go all in on Chukwu. He is a must get from a potential standpoint and a protect your home turf standpoint. I really hope the coaches focus and close this.
I'd be happy if they got him but he's not a must get at all

caw

Reaction Score
We are good with him right now. but look at our history with centers who are top ten in the country; Andrew Bynum and Andre Drummond. Bynum skipped UConn for the NBA, and Drummond was never going anywhere but UConn. I wouldn't count on Brown coming, since we really struggle in the recruitment of these elite centers. I'd rather grab Chukwu and just say "oh well" if Brown goes elsewhere, rather than putting the future of the center position on the shoulders of Brown.

Bynum is a special case IMO, but I'll come back to that point.

How many top ten players that are centers are there in the past ten years?

Okafor Duke
Towns (PF?) UK
Turner (PF?) UT

Embiid KU
Johnson UK

Noel UK
Tarc UA
Adams Pitt

Davis (PF?) UK
Drummond UConn
Zeller IU

Kanter UK

Favors GT
Cousins UK
Gallon OU

Mullens OSU
Zeller UNC

Koufos OSU

Oden OSU
Hawes Washington
Lopez Stanford

Bynum UConn

That's 22 being liberal and including UConn. 6 at UK, 3 at OSU, 2 at UConn and 1 at IU, UNC, GT, Duke, UA, Pitt, KU, UT, Washington, OU and Stanford.

How many weren't one and dones or less? Answer: 5

Zeller, Lopez and Johnson played only two years. Tarc and Zeller played four years each.

Back to Bynum, he probably would have been a one and done if he was a year younger. He just happened to fit into the last class that could go directly to the NBA. If that rule hadn't changed how many of the above would have likely gone directly to the NBA? All but two...three?

Point being, UConn hasn't done that bad over the past ten years when all that is considered.

Note: I used 24-7s composite rankings to determine top ten players who were centers though I did not include Love who I consider a PF exclusively and I did include Koufos because there was no top ten center and he was the highest. I figure that kind of evens out.

Second note: Davis, Zeller and Okafor won it all in college, Oden and Johnson made NC games and Towns made a FF.

Reaction Score
Still, that is a 9% success rate going off of historical numbers, only one actually suited up. And secondly, I don't think you can accurately compile numbers before Cal got to UK. Its certainly changed everything, he virtually has a monopoly on the big man market. Including 2015, Calipari is 7 for 18 with the top 10 centers. 39% success rate. Almost no point in competing with UK for these guys.

Reaction Score

"I love and respect what Coach Self has done, and is doing, with the program," said Chukwu via text about Kansas. "It's [Kansas] definitely among my list of schools," he added.

Chukwu is still trying to figure what what schools he will consider, but he's hoping to have a better idea of where and when he will visit some schools in the very near future.

"I'm gonna figure that out today," said Chukwu. " I'd love to visit Kansas, but I'll know after today," he added.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If he didn't like the diversity at Providence, I can't imagine he'll like what he finds when he visits Kansas.

Reaction Score
If he didn't like the diversity at Providence, I can't imagine he'll like what he finds when he visits Kansas.
thats true but kansas is also like 5 times the size of PC. Honestly sounds like he had enough with pc/their staff and wants to try it again elsewhere, doubt uconn is a player here as others have noted. he only played 20+ minutes twice in 2015, was he foul prone or just buried by cooley?

Reaction Score
I just find it crazy that Cooley was quoted saying the staff had no clue the kid was unhappy until he met with him recently.
Are they really that disconnected from their players?? Then again, could that be part of the issue?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Lawrence is a pretty awesome college town, and KU has gone to great lengths to make diversity a priority on that campus over the past two decades.

I just find it crazy that Cooley was quoted saying the staff had no clue the kid was unhappy until he met with him recently.
Are they really that disconnected from their players?? Then again, could that be part of the issue?
Looking at the number of transfers they've had, it seems like the disconnect is real

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info Matrim. Never been before, so I was just going off of perception.

Reaction Score
Lawrence is a great college down. Diversity wise, KU is a big state school, not a small private catholic school and there is diversity there. KC is about an hour probably less away so you have a major metro close.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Not sure what kind of diversity he is looking for but this is the ethnic breakdown at KU, Providence and UCONN in case he comes to the Boneyard looking for guidance. :)

Kansas
Race/Ethnicity
American Indian / Alaskan Native 100 1%
Asian 745 4%
African American / Black 772 4%
Hispanic 1,209 6%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 18 <1%
White 14,141 74%
Two or More Races 799 4%
International 1,285 7%
Race/Ethnicity Not Reported 148 1%

Providence