Pan Am/WUG Trials | The Boneyard

Pan Am/WUG Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Underway at the same time as the U19 trials in CO.

Keil Moore @KeilMoorePSB · 13h13 hours ago
#USAB - Breanna Stewart just put on a show in the first scrimmage of the day. Don't think she missed a shot.

Ms. Marissa @passthaball · 13h13 hours ago
Wow Breanna Stewart hands down, she is eating the competition its way too easy for her

Stewie was quoted recently talking about going to the Pan Am games so maybe she knows already that she'll be part of that team.

Oh, let's not forget Mo who's looking like Tony Parker.

Ms. Marissa @passthaball · 21h21 hours ago
Moriah Jefferson with the in and out then dimes her teammate!! #U19https://instagram.com/p/2teo7aHV4y/

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Underway at the same time as the U19 trials in CO.

Keil Moore @KeilMoorePSB · 13h13 hours ago
#USAB - Breanna Stewart just put on a show in the first scrimmage of the day. Don't think she missed a shot.

Ms. Marissa @passthaball · 13h13 hours ago
Wow Breanna Stewart hands down, she is eating the competition its way too easy for her

Stewie was quoted recently talking about going to the Pan Am games so maybe she knows already that she'll be part of that team.

Oh, let's not forget Mo who's looking like Tony Parker.

Ms. Marissa @passthaball · 21h21 hours ago
Moriah Jefferson with the in and out then dimes her teammate!! #U19https://instagram.com/p/2teo7aHV4y/
I went back and read Stewie's incredible resume with USA Basketball. She had tourneys where she shot 90% on FTs and over 50% from the arc. If she does anything like that this coming season, she could be at the top of the Breanna-Diana-Maya triumvirate. She practiced with Maya Moore, Tina Charles, et al. last fall. Any other competition is easy by comparison.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I went back and read Stewie's incredible resume with USA Basketball. She had tourneys where she shot 90% on FTs and over 50% from the arc. If she does anything like that this coming season, she could be at the top of the Breanna-Diana-Maya triumvirate. She practiced with Maya Moore, Tina Charles, et al. last fall. Any other competition is easy by comparison.
She seemed overwhelmed when she was on the US National Team when they played in Turkey. But that was then, this is now. A full year later, I bet she fits right in.

But playing with and against folks her own age, she will be the superstar.

Reaction Score
Stewie will be the most decorated player in UCONN history with 4 NC's, 2 Gold metals and 4 POY awards..........Plus the 1st pick in the WNBA draft and the top $$$ maker in Europe next year. God bless UCONN and Stewie

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She seemed overwhelmed when she was on the US National Team when they played in Turkey. But that was then, this is now. A full year later, I bet she fits right in.

But playing with and against folks her own age, she will be the superstar.
Yep, she was a little overmatched against the stronger, more experienced international competition, just as Maya struggled a bit in 2010. But WCBB is easy by comparison. As I recall, Maya was pretty good as a senior. :) Stewie will get stronger and learn more tricks so that she'll dominate at the highest level. It's just a matter of time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yep, she was a little overmatched against the stronger, more experienced international competition, just as Maya struggled a bit in 2010. But WCBB is easy by comparison. As I recall, Maya was pretty good as a senior. :) Stewie will get stronger and learn more tricks so that she'll dominate at the highest level. It's just a matter of time.
I am not sure 'overwhelmed' or 'overmatched' are the right words - she and Sims, Maya before her, Sue and Diana before them, all take a little time to integrate into the national team and it is I think more deference and a lack of familiarity. After a few years and numerous teams as pros, players get more adept at the art of integration into a new team. And more confident in what they expect and will be expected to bring to the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am not sure 'overwhelmed' or 'overmatched' are the right words - she and Sims, Maya before her, Sue and Diana before them, all take a little time to integrate into the national team and it is I think more deference and a lack of familiarity. After a few years and numerous teams as pros, players get more adept at the art of integration into a new team. And more confident in what they expect and will be expected to bring to the team.
I saw all 6 games in Turkey in person. Stewie struggled a fair amount, particularly against stronger players, but it looked a little worse than it really was, because she was mauled and should have gotten more foul calls than she did. Stewie did demonstrate her ability and versatility at times. She was the 11th or 12th player for a reason.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewie will be the most decorated player in UCONN history with 4 NC's, 2 Gold metals and 4 POY awards.....Plus the 1st pick in the WNBA draft and the top $$$ maker in Europe next year. God bless UCONN and Stewie
She won't have 4 POY awards. She didn't get one as a FR. She wasn't even an AA as a FR.

Reaction Score
I got a kick out of the look on their faces as captured in the video thumbnail. Captionable?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I got a kick out of the look on their faces as captured in the video thumbnail. Captionable?

The future of the national team is in good hands with those two.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
DeShields hasn't even been a college All-American yet - I'd hold off on putting the future of the national team in her hands.
I'll just repeat what Kyra Elzy said at Big Orange Caravan. She was talking about Diamond. She said you guys are in for a real treat.

Reaction Score
Kyra was a teamate of Holdsclaw.

Yeah, and she should now better than to compare a low percentage second year shooter with fancy moves to a multiple champion who is in the conversation as the best of all-time.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yeah, and she should now better than to compare a low percentage second year shooter with fancy moves to a multiple champion who is in the conversation as the best of all-time.
Well let's look at it like this. Chamique and Diamond had tremendous athletic ability.
Yes Chamique was a 3x champion. Diamond has played one year so far. She was very good. Her college career isn't over yet. Lets see how she does for the time left.

Reaction Score
I saw all 6 games in Turkey in person. Stewie struggled a fair amount, particularly against stronger players, but it looked a little worse than it really was, because she was mauled and should have gotten more foul calls than she did. Stewie did demonstrate her ability and versatility at times. She was the 11th or 12th player for a reason.
Milford - I really enjoy the give and take with UC & Eric. Each post reveals those details that are valuable to me as a student of the game and a follower of WBB in general and UConn in particular. I am impressed with the knowledge and the onsite insights from all you guys. I almost felt like I was in Turkey too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford - I really enjoy the give and take with UC & Eric. Each post reveals those details that are valuable to me as a student of the game and a follower of WBB in general and UConn in particular. I am impressed with the knowledge and the onsite insights from all you guys. I almost felt like I was in Turkey too.
I'm flattered. Thanks. I have to rely on my friends for detailed knowledge. :)

I'll be reporting from Rio in 15 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom