Paige on Naismith Award list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paige on Naismith Award list

Reaction Score
In fairness to Kamilla, she is only playing 25 minutes a game. And as you noted it and it's perennially an argument made, she is the best player on the best team, and that team is undefeated which stands out. I personally like it, because I don't think you should be penalized too much for your team being great. Stewie, Sue Bird, Chamique Holdsclaw played on loaded teams where u can make arguments about their value, but they stood out regardless. Even last year I'm sure Aliyah Boston was probably in the running for the award but her stats were actually slightly worse than Kamilla's this year. I actually think AE is a better player than Cardoso, but I get why Cardoso is in consideration. Another question is are they undefeated without Cardoso? They do have great backups, but I actually lean towards no. She's had a pretty strong season and stabilized them in a handful of games.
First, I don’t agree that she’s the best player on that team. As for the minutes, I tend to doubt if Paige played 20 mnutes and scored 14 ppg that she would be on this list even though she is clearly the best player on our team. When you play on a loaded team like SC, or in normal years, UConn, that is the tradeoff you make. You subsume your individual goals into the overall efficiency of the team. This almost always means that your recognition as an individual is not as great because you are part of something greater than yourself. Your reward is in winning as a team, (usually at a higher rate than if you simply tried to play for individual stats.) in this case as a part of the odds on favorite to win the title.
I agree that Aaliyah is a better player than Cardoso or for that matter, Rickea Jackson. They both, however are being predicted to go higher than Aaliyah in the upcoming draft. Cardoso, even though the lesser player, I can understand as she is 6’7”, but Jackson is a puzzle. Their scoring is about the same, Aaliyah is a better rebounder, better shooter; 59.4% to 47.1%, and is an inch taller at 6’3”! Also, Aaliyah has missed two (I believe but certainly less than 10) games in her entire college career while Rickea has missed 40+! I just don’t get the imo disrespect ( certainly undervaluing) that is being shown our Aaliyah! (I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it!)Head bang:rolleyes: I mean, I saw one mock draft that had Georgia Amoore, a slow, 5’6”, 42% shooting PG who (with all due respect) will most likely either be (at best) a backup or out of the league within two years, being picked ahead of Aaliyah? (I do think some of the drafts are starting to come to their senses) Somehow I’ve gotten (waay) off the track of my original point :oops: so I’ll just say Cardoso should not be a finalist and Aaliyah is going to take the WNBA by storm!

Reaction Score
First, I don’t agree that she’s the best player on that team. As for the minutes, I tend to doubt if Paige played 20 mnutes and scored 14 ppg that she would be on this list even though she is clearly the best player on our team. When you play on a loaded team like SC, or in normal years, UConn, that is the tradeoff you make. You subsume your individual goals into the overall efficiency of the team. This almost always means that your recognition as an individual is not as great because you are part of something greater than yourself. Your reward is in winning as a team, (usually at a higher rate than if you simply tried to play for individual stats.) in this case as a part of the odds on favorite to win the title.
I agree that Aaliyah is a better player than Cardoso or for that matter, Rickea Jackson. They both, however are being predicted to go higher than Aaliyah in the upcoming draft. Cardoso, even though the lesser player, I can understand as she is 6’7”, but Jackson is a puzzle. Their scoring is about the same, Aaliyah is a better rebounder, better shooter; 59.4% to 47.1%, and is an inch taller at 6’3”! Also, Aaliyah has missed two (I believe but certainly less than 10) games in her entire college career while Rickea has missed 40+! I just don’t get the imo disrespect ( certainly undervaluing) that is being shown our Aaliyah! (I’m mad as hell and I’m not gonna take it!)Head bang:rolleyes: I mean, I saw one mock draft that had Georgia Amoore, a slow, 5’6”, 42% shooting PG who (with all due respect) will most likely either be (at best) a backup or out of the league within two years, being picked ahead of Aaliyah? (I do think some of the drafts are starting to come to their senses) Somehow I’ve gotten (waay) off the track of my original point :oops: so I’ll just say Cardoso should not be a finalist and Aaliyah is going to take the WNBA by storm!

I think the challenge here is that Jackson and Aaliyah play different positions. These mock drafts are trying to figure out fit when pairing players with teams, not just talent alone. If they were both playing wing/guard or forward it would be impossible to argue that Jackson should be higher in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I can’t comment on past years’ bad behaviors because I’d not paid much attention. However, this year has left me shaking my head over and over, many times. It’s saddening to see, so I believe the player with the intentional foul gets suspended one game, and two games if it’s not the first offense. And players involved in in-game fights (intentional bumping, pushing, shoving, slapping, hair pulling, etc.) should be penalized much harsher —excluded or removed from end of year awards/honors, games, etc. And, it should not matter who the player(s) is/are, as well as the affiliated school(s). The instigators of such brawls need to be punished also.
I know I am an armchair coach, but we must stop rewarding bad behaviors with trophies.

PS: This is my last comment on the topic.
Agree 100%. It is head shaking to see the frequency of intentional fouls and bad behavior that has increased almost in direct correlation to the level of physicality and lack of fouls being called. In no small way, the response to correct this has to start at the coaching level. They should be held to be similarly responsible along with an at-fault player when it comes to EOY awards. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom