Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Going to 8 would be weird as it likely would start a week earlier and would supercede even more bowl games. Who gives an about watching two unranked mediocre Iowa and Tennessee teams after the play off has already started? Odd.
Who gives an about watching two unranked mediocre Iowa and Tennessee before the playoff has started?

The actual occurrence of bowl games are and always have been meaningless. They get you an extra week of practice and help recruiting. The game itself has little to no appeal to anyone not affiliated with the programs in some way.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well that story says the seats were going to be filled and shockingly... they were. So how were you not wrong?

Old Boneyard arguing tactic of picking one comment that is in the gray area factually and not really the point of the post, and using it to try and refute an entire argument. I actually don't know if the Rose Bowl sold out or not. Stub Hub tickets were going below face leading up to the game. So Florida State returning 2,800 tickets of a small ticket guarantee and Stubhub carrying tickets below face is considered great attendance by you guys. Got it.

Since neither you nor Z specifically indicated which part of my post was wrong, I will assume you meant all of it, and now think Bowls are better for the schools than a home hosted playoff. See how this works?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Old Boneyard arguing tactic of picking one comment that is in the gray area factually and not really the point of the post, and using it to try and refute an entire argument. I actually don't know if the Rose Bowl sold out or not. Stub Hub tickets were going below face leading up to the game. So Florida State returning 2,800 tickets of a small ticket guarantee and Stubhub carrying tickets below face is considered great attendance by you guys. Got it.

Since neither you nor Z specifically indicated which part of my post was wrong, I will assume you meant all of it, and now think Bowls are better for the schools than a home hosted playoff. See how this works?

He was specifically talking about the playoff games and you know that.

Attendance is attendance - who cares what one secondary market bares.

The ratings were great, but attendance was not. FSU ate 2,800 tickets. Seems kind of silly to be playing these games on neutral fields.

'attendance was not great' - that would be your disconnect w reality that you don't want to admit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He was specifically talking about the playoff games and you know that.

Attendance is attendance - who cares what one secondary market bares.

'attendance was not great' - that would be your disconnect w reality that you don't want to admit.

Do you think that if the game was played at FSU or Oregon would have had unsold tickets remaining in the days or day leading up to the game? How did ticket sales go at the other major bowls, like the Orange Bowl?

As for who cares? I suspect that Florida State cares since they had to cover the ticket guarantee.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
Do you think that if the game was played at FSU or Oregon would have had unsold tickets remaining in the days or day leading up to the game? How did ticket sales go at the other major bowls, like the Orange Bowl? As for who cares? I suspect that Florida State cares since they had to cover the ticket guarantee.

Yeah, the rose bowl was practically empty. Sure.

Reaction Score
Attendance really doesn't matter for any of these games when ESPN can generate 2.2 million viewers on a Tuesday night for Marshall vs No Illinois or 2.9 million viewers for Rutgers/UNC at 4:00 in the afternoon the day after Christmas.

As long as ESPN pays for these games to give them programming nobody will care about attendance

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...sketball-espn2-isu-grand-prix-figure-skating/

zls44

Reaction Score
Hey Nelson, the Pro Bowl is actually experimenting with different goal post angles/lengths this year. You should watch, it's right up your alley.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
if this leads as is likely to 8 teams, the chances that any of these conferences expands goes down, not up. the 8 teams will come from the conference champs of the five P5 conferences and three teams chosen by the committee, who will also rank them. no need for the B12 to expand. no need for anyone to expand

Reaction Score
Until UCONN is included in the P 5, I will not contribute to the ratings. I would rather watch the Hartford Knights at Dillon Stadium

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, the rose bowl was practically empty. Sure.

We heard you the first time. You latched onto something that was not the point of my post, and won't let go. I have not seen an article definitely stating the Rose Bowl was a sell out, but I will take your word for it that Stubhub moved enough $10 tickets to sell the stadium out. I will take your word for it that the Orange Bowl was sold out too, although the Mississippi State and Georgia Tech fans wear excellent camouflage.

It's weird, because while you continue to attack me for saying the bowls are bad for the schools, you say in this thread that you are in favor of a hosted playoff model. You realize that attacking someone for something you have agreed with in the same thread makes you an even by Internet message board standards, right?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wish there was a way to bet on things like Nelson making a ridiculous statement, refusing to back down or admit he was wrong, and then changing the subject to deflect.

"Bowls are bad for the schools" is a ridiculous statement? Why?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nothing to do with whether bowls are bad for schools - that's a separate point.

Oh. So you are just hijacking the thread with personal attacks. Got it.

Reaction Score
We heard you the first time. You latched onto something that was not the point of my post, and won't let go. I have not seen an article definitely stating the Rose Bowl was a sell out, but I will take your word for it that Stubhub moved enough $10 tickets to sell the stadium out. I will take your word for it that the Orange Bowl was sold out too, although the Mississippi State and Georgia Tech fans wear excellent camouflage.

It's weird, because while you continue to attack me for saying the bowls are bad for the schools, you say in this thread that you are in favor of a hosted playoff model. You realize that attacking someone for something you have agreed with in the same thread makes you an even by Internet message board standards, right?
Rose Bowl Attendance: 91,322 http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400610177
Rose Bowl Capacity: 92,542 http://www.bing.com/search?q=rose bowl capacity&src=ie9tr

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Aw, nothing personal at all. This place would be a lot less interesting without you, Nelson. I'd still happily buy you a beer. :)

zls44

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
How about that? The game didn't sell out.

Oh, I knew it didn't sell out. But your attitude made it seem like the place was only 80% full. In truth, it was just as amped up and picturesque as it has been forever.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh, I knew it didn't sell out. But your attitude made it seem like the place was only 80% full. In truth, it was just as amped up and picturesque as it has been forever.

So you were making up what I meant rather than responding to what I said. Actually, you managed to effectively hijack the thread in the process. We have a 2 page thread about whether the Rose Bowl was full rather than a discussion of why Bowls are terrible for college football. I guess we know where ESPN stands.

Reaction Score
So you were making up what I meant rather than responding to what I said. Actually, you managed to effectively hijack the thread in the process. We have a 2 page thread about whether the Rose Bowl was full rather than a discussion of why Bowls are terrible for college football. I guess we know where ESPN stands.

Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers is the title of the thread.And the keyword here is TV
Then the discussion delved into expanding the playoffs. what makes you think that the topic was why the bowls are bad for college football? No I am not looking for you to literally have you answer the question as to why you think they are bad but why you think this is the correct topic? Just curious as to what makes you the guru for defining the hijacking of a message board. ...Furthermore, when the subject got off-topic, I didn't see you correcting yourself or anyone else. You are like a typical COP! Enforcing "made-up" rules for everyone else but yourself!

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...isnt-the-same-may-never-be-in-the-playoff-era

Now I get it. CBS Sports ran a story before ESPN got to it, so therefore it must be a lie. Makes more sense now.

Dodd was intentionally misleading and you fell for it. The game was sold out. Tickets were for sale in the secondary market. In this electronic day and age, tickets for every event will be available in the secondary market up until the time of the game or performance. Dodd's story was about nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Dodd was intentionally misleading and you fell for it. The game was sold out. Tickets were for sale in the secondary market. In this electronic day and age, tickets for every event will be available in the secondary market up until the time of the game or performance. Dodd's story was about nothing.

So he was lying about Florida State eating a few thousand tickets?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers is the title of the thread.And the keyword here is TV
Then the discussion delved into expanding the playoffs. what makes you think that the topic was why the bowls are bad for college football? No I am not looking for you to literally have you answer the question as to why you think they are bad but why you think this is the correct topic? Just curious as to what makes you the guru for defining the hijacking of a message board. ...Furthermore, when the subject got off-topic, I didn't see you correcting yourself or anyone else. You are like a typical COP! Enforcing "made-up" rules for everyone else but yourself!

As for the hijacking, that is pretty much all ZLS does. My bad for not picking it up earlier.

My point was that there is a ton of money available for the schools, and they piss a meaningful amount of it away by playing games at random stadiums in random cities, instead of on campus like every other division of football does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom