Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers | The Boneyard

Overnight TV ratings for CFB playoff- HUGE numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We're going to 8 teams quickly. The overnights were 15+. I included the prior year BCS bowl ratings. This is absolutely huge money for EPSN. I can't see how they would not want to add in 4 more games - I'd bet they get 10+ average for those 4. There is too much money to be made and that's all this is about.

"ESPN announced Friday that the Rose Bowl, in which Oregon defeated Florida State 59-20, received a 15.5 overnight rating. and the Allstate Sugar Bowl, in which top-ranked Alabama lost 42-35 to Ohio State, earned a 15.3 overnight."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/college_football_bowl_tv_viewe.html

2013-14 College Football Bowl TV Ratings
BowlMatchupU.S. household ratingChange from 2012-13
BCS ChampionshipFlorida State-Auburn14.4-5%
RoseStanford-Michigan State10.2+9%
SugarOklahoma-Alabama9.3+50%
OrangeClemson-Ohio State6.7+9%
FiestaBaylor-UCF6.6-11%

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wonder if 6 might be the happy medium with top 2 getting a bye. Great fun watching yesterday.

It would make the participation sheet easier if you did the champion from each of the P5 and the best team from the rest. But I don't like the fact that it would all but ensure the SEC champion of a bye-week, based on how we all know the polls work. It would also ensure that the G5 winner would always have to play an extra game.

That's why I really like the 8-team playoff. Everyone plays the same amount of games. The champion of the major conferences all get in. The G5 best team gets in. And the "best" conferences get 2 at large selections...

Reaction Score
I wonder if 6 might be the happy medium with top 2 getting a bye. Great fun watching yesterday.

Even better watching FSU get humiliated. I hope the police do their job in Tallahassee. The players manhood bight be a tad low at this time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ratings were great, but attendance was not. FSU ate 2,800 tickets. Seems kind of silly to be playing these games on neutral fields.

Reaction Score
hard to go to 6 ... hard to give a bye based on reputation. only option i think would eb to 8. (nobody deserves a bye)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
hard to go to 6 ... hard to give a bye based on reputation. only option i think would eb to 8. (nobody deserves a bye)
Who cares? They game ended up being sold out, or very close to it, and they drew a HUGE tv rating. Why does FSU eating a few tickets mean anything negative?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
The ratings were great, but attendance was not. FSU ate 2,800 tickets. Seems kind of silly to be playing these games on neutral fields.

Both games were packed to the rafters.

Reaction Score
Who cares? They game ended up being sold out, or very close to it, and they drew a HUGE tv rating. Why does FSU eating a few tickets mean anything negative?

I think if there was a multi-round playoff, consideration would have to be given for playing the first/second round at the higher seed. That in essence could defray the exorbitant travel costs associated with traveling to a bowl game. Having home field advantage for a game or two would put huge implications on regular season results, which is something people were afraid the playoffs would dilute.

Reaction Score
The problem with the old bowl system was that teams were selected more for their ability to sell hotel rooms and fill seats. That can't and won't be a consideration under our new four team playoff system. It has to be excellence on the field. As a result, the prospect of fans having to travel across country twice, once for the semifinal and then heading out again for the final, will be problematic for many fans. Taking extra time off and a doubling of travel expenses will take their toll. Don't be surprised to see lots of empty seats at these Championship venues, especially as the newness wears off. But will it even matter if the ratings soar and advertisers line up to pay big bucks? Promoters of the playoff may end up having to pack the stands with blow up dolls to avoid embarrassing attendance but happy TV execs will oblige. The problem is that the event just doesn't have the same gravitas without packed raucous stadiums. Too many of the current Bowl games are sad sights to behold.

Reaction Score
That is why if they go to eight the first round should be at/within driving distance of the higher seed.

Reaction Score
That's Florida State's problem if they can't convince their fans to go to a national semifinal game, much less in phenomenal weather at a historic venue. This model is proving to be a rousing success, it will only get bigger and better. I predict within 10 years, the entire bowl structure will be very, very different.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That's Florida State's problem if they can't convince their fans to go to a national semifinal game, much less in phenomenal weather at a historic venue. This model is proving to be a rousing success, it will only get bigger and better. I predict within 10 years, the entire bowl structure will be very, very different.

Despite ZLS' argument to the contrary, schools would be better off without a bowl system. A home hosted playoff should be the only postseason.

Reaction Score
Despite ZLS' argument to the contrary, schools would be better off without a bowl system. A home hosted playoff should be the only postseason.
You're entirely right, in the end everybody wouuld make more money with a playoff and maybe 3 or 4 NIT-esque bowl games, but a 16-team four-week playoff of 15 games, first round campus sites, final three rotating through four BCS, Cotton, Peach, one other site.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Both games were packed to the rafters.

You have some stupid positions, but this has to be your dumbest. Why should schools share the revenue from their post season games with bowls? Why wouldn't they be better off home hosting a playoff?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're entirely right, in the end everybody wouuld make more money with a playoff and maybe 3 or 4 NIT-esque bowl games, but a 16-team four-week playoff of 15 games, first round campus sites, final three rotating through four BCS, Cotton, Peach, one other site.

Why have bowls at all? Just host at the higher seeded team, with the Final game at a neutral location.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If the name of the game is $$, why surrender two games?
I'd certainly have no problem with 8, but it took us an awful long time to get to 4, and at least for now, there is resistance from the powers that be to go to 8. Maybe watching this unfold is changing some minds? The only other thing I'd throw in favor of 6 teams - there's some additional emphasis on the regular season to try and be one of the top two slots and grab a bye.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'd certainly have no problem with 8, but it took us an awful long time to get to 4, and at least for now, there is resistance from the powers that be to go to 8. Maybe watching this unfold is changing some minds? The only other thing I'd throw in favor of 6 teams - there's some additional emphasis on the regular season to try and be one of the top two slots and grab a bye.

The resistance may dissolve between absurd ticket guarantees to cow town bowl games and massive ratings of playoff games.

Reaction Score
The playoff will expand at some point but I doubt you see every game played thru the bowl system & it's even less likely that the bowl system gets replaced. The major sticking point to me is whether they extend the season into the spring semester or start the season a week or so early which many schools in the South will oppose because that's the traditional start of High School football

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why have bowls at all? Just host at the higher seeded team, with the Final game at a neutral location.
Last three. Semi's and the championship.

zls44

Reaction Score
You have some stupid positions, but this has to be your dumbest. Why should schools share the revenue from their post season games with bowls? Why wouldn't they be better off home hosting a playoff?

I was simply taking issue with your point that the games had lots of empty seats. They categorically did not, which you'd know if you'd watched.

Furthermore, I've always been in favor of an on-campus playoff system, you dimwitted jackwagon.

Reaction Score
Going to 8 would be weird as it likely would start a week earlier and would supercede even more bowl games. Who gives an about watching two unranked mediocre Iowa and Tennessee teams after the play off has already started? Odd.

zls44

Reaction Score
Who gives an about watching two unranked mediocre Iowa and Tennessee teams after the play off has already started? Odd.

I thought those games might be the 'a-ha!' moment where it clicked for everyone how great expanding it would be.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members