Outrebounding the other team seems to be key | The Boneyard

Outrebounding the other team seems to be key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Again UConn outrebounds UCF, this time by 11 and wins. Looking at each of the UConn loses shows them losing the rebounding battle, and the +/- numbers appear to correlate to the actual point loss differential.

Stanford: -2 rebounds and UConn loses by 2 points

Houston: -4 rebounds and UConn loses by 4 points

SMU: -8 rebounds and UConn loses by 9 points

LVille: -15 rebounds and UConn loses by 12 points

Cincy: -3 rebounds and UConn loses by 5 points

This seems to indicate how important it is for UConn to rebound. When they play with energy and rebound they are able to get the W. It all starts with team defense and rebounding. If they do that, they can win even with their shots may not be falling for long periods.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I said in a few threads that this team is undefeated when we win the rebounding battle. Which is why I'd like to see Facey get a few more minutes since he always grabs some boards when he's in there.

Deandre has been doing a MUCH better job of rebounding at the 4 spot for us lately. We're a totally different team when he crashes the boards and gets involved offensively.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When you don't give them second chances, you limit their possessions. When you limit their possessions, you have a good chance to win.

Reaction Score
In my view, games like this tell you very little. UCF is not much of a team. We just have better players. They have no good wins and several losses to pretty awful teams.We should out rebound teams like Central Florida. And we should outscore them too.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Crazy I was just doing the research on this and about to post a similar thread. One additional game worth calling out is Florida. We were -8 in that game. Underscores how much we stole that one.

I think what's even more telling regarding the improvement in our rebounding method is how bad we are beating teams on the boards who do not have a distinct size/physicality advantage over us.

+11 @UCF
+15 UH
+20 Temple
+16 UCF

Even a +7 @ Memphis all in the last 8 games.

We are putting up some HUGE differentials against teams where we can compete lb for lb and it comes down to positioning and process moreso than raw size and athleticism. It tells me we're starting to get the most out of what we have down low.

That's a double edged sword because it suggests we can scrap with a lot of teams but can run into real trouble with the Montrez's and Joel's of the world.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I guess we think alke! I only looked at the losses, as haven't gotten around to researching the wins and rebounds...

Anyway, yes win the against Florida seems to be an outlier in terms of the rebounding +/- . And the rebounding improvement is noticeable as I bet if you look at the earlier wins in Nov/Dec vs now you will see the increase in #s.

As for dealing with the opponent bigs that cannot be stopped from grabbing offensive rebounds, there is a solution perhaps - and that is to try to get them into foul trouble by driving into the lane .... and hope they accumulate fouls. They can't grab rebounds if they are sitting on the bench.

Crazy I was just doing the research on this and about to post a similar thread. One additional game worth calling out is Florida. We were -8 in that game. Underscores how much we stole that one.

I think what's even more telling regarding the improvement in our rebounding method is how bad we are beating teams on the boards who do not have a distinct size/physicality advantage over us.

+11 @UCF
+15 UH
+20 Temple
+16 UCF

Even a +7 @ Memphis all in the last 8 games.

We are putting up some HUGE differentials against teams where we can compete lb for lb and it comes down to positioning and process moreso than raw size and athleticism. It tells me we're starting to get the most out of what we have down low.

That's a double edged sword because it suggests we can scrap with a lot of teams but can run into real trouble with the Montrez's and Joel's of the world.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Marat said:
Again UConn outrebounds UCF, this time by 11 and wins. Looking at each of the UConn loses shows them losing the rebounding battle, and the +/- numbers appear to correlate to the actual point loss differential.

Stanford: -2 rebounds and UConn loses by 2 points

Houston: -4 rebounds and UConn loses by 4 points

SMU: -8 rebounds and UConn loses by 9 points

LVille: -15 rebounds and UConn loses by 12 points

Cincy: -3 rebounds and UConn loses by 5 points

This seems to indicate how important it is for UConn to rebound. When they play with energy and rebound they are able to get the W. It all starts with team defense and rebounding. If they do that, they can win even with their shots may not be falling for long periods.

So, rebounding margin is roughing equal to scoring margin. That should be the message, those rebounds are points.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maryland +3 win by 1
Yale -16 win by 18
Detroit +15 win by 56
BU tie win by 17
BC -1 win by 2
Indiana -2 win by 1
Loyola -1 win by 10
Florida discussed
Maine +8 win by 27
Stanford -2 win by 2
Wash +2 win by 12
EW +16 win by 17
Houston loss discussed
SMU loss discussed
Harvard +2 win by 5

Remainder of season discussed.

Seven games in which UConn tied or lost the rebounding battle and still won. So rebounding is only one of the parameters for a teams' success. The most important parameter is to outscore the opponent. Kudos @YearoftheHusky!

What can be observed is that UConn had only two double digit rebounding margins in the first 12 games of the season (against Detroit and against Eastern Washington) and struggled against teams they "should have" out rebounded. The recent trend is definitely an improvement over earlier in the season.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
What can be observed is that UConn had only two double digit rebounding margins in the first 12 games of the season (against Detroit and against Eastern Washington) and struggled against teams they "should have" out rebounded. The recent trend is definitely an improvement over earlier in the season.

Thanks - that confirms the uptrend in rebounding. They have definately stressed it in practice and its good news that has also translated into games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom