Our prevent defense | The Boneyard

Our prevent defense

Reaction Score
Against UMess our "prevent" gave up 150+ yards and two TDs in ten plays in less than 3 minutes of clock time. I don't know what to say except they named it wrong. This problem existed all season long.

First drive. UMess gets the ball at their 27 with 13:25 remaining. 1-incomplete, 2- 40 yard pass, 3-incomplete, 4- 18 yard pass, 5- 6 yard pass. 6- 1 yard TD run. 11:52 remaining.

We hold the ball for eight minutes and score a TD then deploy our "prevent" again.

UMess gets the ball at their 22 with 3:28 remaining. 1- 28 yard pass, 2- 34 yard pass, 3- 16 yard pass, 4- 1 yard TD run. 2:03 remaining.

This against a team that scored 6 points in the entire game before the prevent was employed. The prevent was terrible all year regardless of the half in which it was deployed. I know we have a lot of problems. But we lost a lot of close games. Fixing this one aspect of the defense is necessary if you want to win games. I read we should not be critical after a win. But it's tough to watch UMess chew up the prevent defense and pretend not to notice the ineptness.

Reaction Score
Against UMess our "prevent" gave up 150+ yards and two TDs in ten plays in less than 3 minutes of clock time. I don't know what to say except they named it wrong. This problem existed all season long.

First drive. UMess gets the ball at their 27 with 13:25 remaining. 1-incomplete, 2- 40 yard pass, 3-incomplete, 4- 18 yard pass, 5- 6 yard pass. 6- 1 yard TD run. 11:52 remaining.

We hold the ball for eight minutes and score a TD then deploy our "prevent" again.

UMess gets the ball at their 22 with 3:28 remaining. 1- 28 yard pass, 2- 34 yard pass, 3- 16 yard pass, 4- 1 yard TD run. 2:03 remaining.

This against a team that scored 6 points in the entire game before the prevent was employed. The prevent was terrible all year regardless of the half in which it was deployed. I know we have a lot of problems. But we lost a lot of close games. Fixing this one aspect of the defense is necessary if you want to win games. I read we should not be critical after a win. But it's tough to watch UMess chew up the prevent defense and pretend not to notice the ineptness.
Listened to it on radio, so didn't see the defense, and WayneO didn't talk about it. "Dance with who brung ya". stay agressive

Reaction Score
Listened to it on radio, so didn't see the defense, and WayneO didn't talk about it. "Dance with who brung ya". stay agressive
It was the same old problem. Soft zone with a lack of speed on defense to close down on the receiver plus getting beat deep in man coverage.

The roster needs more speed across the board.

Reaction Score
Mora seems to call this scheme on defense and then do the HCRE2.0 "execution" excuse. It's your job as DC to know what your team is capable of running on defense, need to replace Mora with a better DC.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

UMass couldn't do anything in the fist half. I realize there's second half adjustments, but they seemed to score their three TDs too easily.

Reaction Score
You know it was a long year when we’re whining about D calls up 3 scores.

Reaction Score
I would concentrate efforts on getting more games to the point where the coaches can decide whether or not to play "prevent".
Thank you. Typical OP hyperbole. The first drive was horrific D. The second drive he pointed to the game was over and no one cared.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Similar to going way too conservative way too early against USF and USU on both offense and defense. We don’t have the guys who can go half speed or reserved and still be effective. All out effort is needed for 60 minutes regardless of score

Reaction Score
just going to mention, Prevent is when you put your linebackers and D-Backs on the goal line to prevent hail mary's. Basically what Auburn tried and failed to do. Sounds like what you're saying is they were just giving up underneath routes to keep the clock moving and UMass just did that down the field?

Reaction Score
Thank you. Typical OP hyperbole. The first drive was horrific D. The second drive he pointed to the game was over and no one cared.
If we didn't eat up 8 minutes on the offensive drive after the "UMess prevent TD", we would have been in real trouble. Our offense saved the defense in the 4th quarter.

It would be hyperbole if it didn't happen all season long.

Reaction Score
If we didn't eat up 8 minutes on the offensive drive after the "UMess prevent TD", we would have been in real trouble. Our offense saved the defense in the 4th quarter.

It would be hyperbole if it didn't happen all season long.
So a play that didn't matter should be treated as if it did matter because if things prior to the play had gone differently it would have mattered? As brilliant as if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So a play that didn't matter should be treated as if it did matter because if things prior to the play had gone differently it would have mattered? As brilliant as if your aunt had balls she's be your uncle.
Not a play. Our prevent defense has been absolutely awful. It is among the dozen things that need to be fixed. I mentioned it because an example had just been presented to us. It was fresh in mind and undeniable. But please continue with you pithy critiques, if you must.

Reaction Score
Not a play. Our prevent defense has been absolutely awful. It is among the dozen things that need to be fixed. I mentioned it because an example had just been presented to us. It was fresh in mind and undeniable. But please continue with you pithy critiques, if you must.
I don't understand where all the angst in this thread is coming from. Defensive play calling was not aggressive enough in general and the prevent/deep drop scheme (when used) had 5 defenders standing around as the WR caught the ball and insured the opponent QB looked like Johnny U.
Offense in the game did a great 4 minute drill at end of game and kept the DC from giving UMass a chance to come back. Scoring drives of 1:33 minutes for 73 yards and 1:25 minutes for 78 yards in 4th quarter for UMass; UConn goes 3 and out instead of our 8:12 scoring drive and could have been looking at 25 to 18 score with 8 minutes to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom