Our frontcourt then and now | The Boneyard

Our frontcourt then and now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We were getting hammered on the boards for the first 2/3 of the season but this is a different team now. Not saying we are a great rebounding team but we are good enough to win another NCC. We don't have to win the rebound battle, we just can't get overwhelmed. We can make up the difference by getting an advantage in turnovers.
It is no secret Florida will try to take Bazz out of the game believing that we will be challenged to score without him. If they double Bazz on the perimeter or sag on him as he penetrates Giffey or Daniels should get open looks and both are outstanding shooters if left open. If we can make good percentage of our open 3's we could win this one going away.
Some worry about which Daniels shows up but he has been outstanding in big games late in the season and during the tourney. He is a bad matchup for anyone Donavan puts on him and I look for him to have a big game.
Young does look like a monster and he is a good player but Florida's frontcourt is actually smaller as long as you measure horizontally.
We beat this team and we'll do it again.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Agreed on above post.

I'd like to add Kromah and Boat are pretty consistent jump shooters as well. Focusing solely on Bazz and leaving shooters open would be a huge mistake and will lead to foul trouble and eventually take pressure off Bazz later in the game. No way our "role players" have another shooting game like they did against Michigan State. I think we are a much better shooting team than we showed in that game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of the reasons why our guards have high rebounding numbers is that there has been a fundamental shift of emphasis on big men boxing out first, second and third. Then maybe reach for the ball.

A big problem with UConn's bigs rebounding is that they couldn't box out and then go after the ball.

Watch the game tomorrow. The bigs are doing a good job boxing out and clearing the lane for the guards to rebound.

Reaction Score
I think an over looked aspect of the match up with Florida is that if our front court does in fact get bullied by their front court, we have the ability to go small and still match up with them height wise. If Brimah and/or Nolan get in foul trouble, we can send them a lineup I don't believe they saw in December, with Bazz, Boat, TSam/Kromah, Giffey, and Daniels at the 5. The pressure that lineup would put on their D negates any defensive liability we face without our bigs in, IMO.

Reaction Score
Don't you guys know they brought the JV team to Gampel and we're gonna get destroyed? Any talk otherwise is wasted finger work.

Reaction Score
Good post. Donny Marshall had a similar analysis this evening on XM Radio. BD will look to take Bazz out leaving opportunities for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom