Our 2015-2016 team: Best Outside Shooter? | The Boneyard

Our 2015-2016 team: Best Outside Shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure going into the off season who we can expect to be our best outside shooter. This season we've had so many cold/hot, off/on shooters and no returnee was really consistent.

I think DHam will be the one in the Rashad Anderson mode (+ some). He has a good stroke and will have become comfortable with Div 1 play. However he has to overcome the tendency to frequently pump fake, I hope that was not habit forming. He did pass up a lot of open shots.

He's shown he can hit the 3 and mid range jumper. I can't recall if he can hit it coming off picks ala Rip, but as a set shot jump shooter he's got the tools. In fact I hope its him and I believe he will be green lighted now with Boat gone.

Would have love for our senior Calhoun to fill this role and he still may can with no off season injuries or medical procedures. Purvis has a shot as well but he seems to prefer drives. Adams is an unknown as well as Cassell.

Reaction Score
Purvis is carrying the best 3 pt % into next year, but I think DHam has a better stroke and with a full offseason and some confidence he could be our best 3 pt shooter next year. That said, hopefully all of our guys improve their shooting in the offseason or we could really struggle in that area next year.

Reaction Score
I like Hamilton to be next season's best outside shooter. He showed he's more than capable to hit the three and he should work on that over summer. Purvis' game is mainly driving to the basket. His outside shooting is just a bonus!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Hamilton needs the confidence though. He has the potential to be our best outside shooter next year, but if he can't choose his shots with certainty the bulk of the outside scoring will fall on Purvis.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much the injury impacted him, but interested to see what we can get out of Sam Jr.

Reaction Score
It's going to be Purvis because I think he came on strong second half and can build on it next year. Wouldn't have believed it early on but he surprised. If DHam can improve his midrange consistently it would help, but we need another good shooter.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Hamilton is no rashad from three because he likes to take it to the lane... But he is clearly the best shooter on uconn... Smooth stroke and can only expect it to get better with training in the offseason and more cbb experience

Reaction Score
One of my biggest concerns of this team throughout the season is a go-to 3-point shooter that the PG could kick it out to. Towards the end of the season, Purvis became that guy. For the last 10 games of the season, Purvis finished the season going 24 for 59 behind the arc (40.6%), which was a huge improvement over his first 23 games (30 for 91 for 32.9%).

Reaction Score
bear said:
Purvis is carrying the best 3 pt % into next year, but I think DHam has a better stroke and with a full offseason and some confidence he could be our best 3 pt shooter next year. That said, hopefully all of our guys improve their shooting in the offseason or we could really struggle in that area next year.

Purvis shooting from outside reminds me a lot of Stanley Robinson. I think it was 07-08 he led us 3 pt% but I still never felt comfortable watching him shoot from outside.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he's not on the team yet...

Think a graduate guard would fit the bill, esp one that can handle the rock.

Reaction Score
Hamilton is an elite shooter, his high quick release is pro. he had a bad shooting year, It happens.I expect scorching %s from the line + trey. Also don't sleep on Cassell, if he gets in 20% better shape, he should be seeing the floor. as far as adams, its extremely difficult for a frosh pg to shoot good %s. He might finish in the paint well, but it takes time to really get those %s up. Like if adams is our best three point shooter he is a one and done ( highly doubt that).

Reaction Score
I saw Cassell multiple times in juco when he was healthy and confident and he fades away a lot and not fundamentally sound at all but I agree in that he could be adequate as backup handler and shooter. Just not primary anything.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Although Purvis shot was knock down late in the year, it still wasnt pretty... I do expect the coaches to help him with this... It was way to flat early in the season and still is kind of flat... I swear in warm ups of the ASU game after he shot one I saw Moore motioning to get more arc on it...Once he gets more reps I expect him to be a better shooter but Hamilton is by far the best shooter especially next year when confidence is up

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
D Ham = Butler

Purvis = MSG

Nolan = Selvie

but Adams = AJ (can't give him Kemba before he plays a game)

we will be back, it's tradition

Reaction Score
Cassell and Calhoun, most think its obscene to think that Calhoun will be the shooter, he looked great in a couple games and just awful in others, remember Niels shot at a .294 3pt% before improving tremendously, I just think these two, regardless of their history would be our most logical shooters, I hate seeing Purvis shoot the ball, he's more of a slasher, I have less of a problem with Hamilton, but i think he should be looked to for a more complete game instead of a primary shooter.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
All I have to add to this conversation is that I really enjoyed the two or three games this season where DHam was clearly told to be the first option. When he takes 15+ shots, his versatility gets him good looks while creating well for others.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The person I would like dham to emulate is Caron Butler. I don't think he is ready to be that guy as yet, but neither was Caron until the second semester of his sophomore year (Yes, I know Caron was older than dham). But in the upcoming year, who do we want "the guy" to be? I think that dham is the one who should be given every opportunity to see how good he can be. Daniel can kind of be the Rip to Jalen's KEA. How's that, now I have him being like Rip. Not bad players for him to hopefully become more like.

Reaction Score
STOPPPPP I don't think DHAM needs to emulate anyone, he needs to make his own name for himself, He could maybe be a great Uconn player

Reaction Score
Not sure how much the injury impacted him, but interested to see what we can get out of Sam Jr.
If we don't bring in another ball handler Sam Jr. is going to be a very important player next season. Much rather see him in the game than Tsam. Sam Jr. just needs to get better on D otherwise he is more skilled than Tsam in every other way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Calhoun will step up, expect more from the senior. As for dham, he'll be the man next year, him Adams and purv is gonna be nasty and I don't think people realize it. If we get decent production from our bench we should win this conference(which is a must sadly). Also Purvis is a good shooter, not RA, but not many are.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm expecting we sign a sharpshooter graduate transfer who shots 45% from downtown. I've seen enough of Calhoun, TSam, and Cassell to know they can't be dependable shooters, let alone clutch 3pt shooters. Omar has been clutch with that 3 vs. Georgetown, but one could argue that was luck.

Reaction Score
I saw Cassell multiple times in juco when he was healthy and confident and he fades away a lot and not fundamentally sound at all but I agree in that he could be adequate as backup handler and shooter. Just not primary anything.
Fades away in his shot or in the game itself?

Reaction Score
I'm expecting we sign a sharpshooter graduate transfer who shots 45% from downtown. I've seen enough of Calhoun, TSam, and Cassell to know they can't be dependable shooters, let alone clutch 3pt shooters. Omar has been clutch with that 3 vs. Georgetown, but one could argue that was luck.
tsam is a terrible shooter but are you serious? you've seen enough of cassell in a handful of games to know what player he is? and omar hitting threes is luck? he had plenty of clutch buckets this year, just struggled with consistency. he could pull a senior year niels if he puts in the work over the summer (to be frank i dont think he will).

I think hamilton needs to beef up a bit so he can play stretch 4 more often, that way cassell or calhoun can be an additional shooter on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom