Other thread aside, at least OSU fans are discussing UConn to the BIG | The Boneyard

Other thread aside, at least OSU fans are discussing UConn to the BIG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The article (http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/2014/04/is-espn-responsible-for-the-rise-of-uconn/) on the other thread is a regrettable speculative piece. The author would have been better served seeking additional perspective of alumni and fans of UConn to provide an answer to his question.

Although not universal, as there are those affiliated with Ohio State and other B1G schools for that matter who do not embrace the idea of UConn to the B1G, there is support within the Ohio State and other B1G fan bases for any future B1G expansion to include UConn. I am one of those in the Ohio State fan base that is supportive of UConn as a candidate for B1G expansion. The idea is gaining momentum as Gfunk stated among message boards and in the media throughout the B1G footprint.

It is my opinion that any derogatory comments that are posted on the Ohio State board and boards of other B1G schools reflect a reluctance to expand beyond the Midwest and pre-conceived notions about UConn.
I think if those who question UConn to the B1G, especially with respect academics, spend some time researching the university (links I have looked at below) then they might see UConn as a great candidate for B1G expansion.

http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf
http://uconn.edu/pdf/uconn_development.pdf
http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/lib/malloy/Next_Generation_CT_Overview.pdf

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You all know where I stand. I totally support you joining the BIG & I am gaining optimism, fast.

I'm startring to see momentum in the BIG world as well & sure, there will always be traditionalists who naysay the loudest.

Check out the Ohio State Basketball Board @ Scout:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3156&t=12803801&p=1
I didn't read the whole thread but the first 10 posts and almost all of them said NO. The reason? Lack of AAU, poor football, small stadium size. Did I miss the "support"? One poster even said Kansas was a better choice yet their football is even worse than ours! Lol!

Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole thread but the first 10 posts and almost all of them said NO. The reason? Lack of AAU, poor football, small stadium size. Did I miss the "support"? One poster even said Kansas was a better choice yet their football is even worse than ours! Lol!

Some did mention all the above, but many were supportive of UCONN

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Some did mention all the above, but many were supportive of UCONN
I guess I didn't read enough of the thread. After seeing the first ones mostly saying no for all the same reasons I stopped reading it.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You all know where I stand. I totally support you joining the BIG & I am gaining optimism, fast.

I'm startring to see momentum in the BIG world as well & sure, there will always be traditionalists who naysay the loudest.

Check out the Ohio State Basketball Board @ Scout:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3156&t=12803801&p=1
You have already proved you would have been a better AD than our previous guy..... :)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Just read through the thread. The 40,000 seat stadium issue is popping up again on this thread and others I've seen. Footings were put in place when the stadium was built to easily (and quickly) accommodate an expansion to 55-60K. I know that stadium size isn't exactly the Shoe or Big House, but it would be on par with some of the other mid-sized stadium sizes in the B1G.

Reaction Score
It's truly remarkable that the Buckeye board is talking somewhat favorably about you guys.

We also talk about you guys over here if interested (mostly ACC guys there, but a good mix): http://csnbbs.com/thread-685792.html

Although it's probably bad form, I thought it worth reposting a very good post from a Michigan grad on the Buckeye Sports site (perhaps it's from one my fellow "Michigan" posters on this site?): (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3156&t=12803801&p=1)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a Michigan grad who is passionate about big ten sports (not just football) and our historical rilvaries with OSU and MSU, I am resigned to the direction college athletics is going despite my desire to keep the conferences as they were configured a few years ago.

I have lived in the Hartford area for 17 years and have many contacts at UConn and elsewhere involved in the college sports landscape (remember we are located in ESPN country as well). While the AAU designation is an issue in my opinion UConn and the CT State Legislature and Governor are working together to elevate UConn's research to a level on par with other member schools. The State has allocated its second billion plus committment to the Storr's campus to expand programs, grow the student body, and attract top notch faculty and researchers.

The state has entered into an agreement with Jackson Laboratories to build a huge research operation at the UConn Heatth Campus where they are also builiding a new university hospital. In Storrs, CT a town center is literally being built where no previously existed with the first several phases underdway. The football stadium which is no more than a decade old is a great place to see a game and was built to accommodate an expansion by adding another deck allowing it to easily expand to 55-60K. No one would have given Jim Calhoun a chance in hell to build what we can all agree has been one of the dominant BB programs over the past two decades but he did it in Storr's CT.

There is a passion and love for this University in what is a small but wealthy state with alot of deep pocketed people ready to open their wallets if UConn were to be invited into the BIG TEN. This is a state loaded with hedge fund managers and other wall street types who live in the gold coast of CT down in fairfield county with a state legislature that will support the university moving forward to ensure it is successful.

This is a very good school academically and rapidly getting even better with SAT scores that would easily place it in the top half of the big ten.

As others have already stated and as a original New Yorker, UConn has a huge following in the NYC metro area which is why MSG is considered a third home (in addition to Gampel in Storr's and XL Center in Hartford). UConn would also provide more interest in New England as Storrs is only 75 miles from Boston.

For what its worth I have it on good authority that Texas and OU continue to talk to the BIG TEN and that ultimately there will be four major football conferences consisting of 20-24 schools which could lead to 4 divisions with division leaders playing semifinal and conference championship games resulting in 4 conference champs playing in national semifinal and championship games...essentially this would be a 16 team playoff series in football with potential to expand further with a few at large teams.

This is the future of college sports and having UConn as part of the big ten with its top programs in basketball and soccer and strong programs in baseball, track, and other sports would be an asset to the big ten.

Botom line is academically and research wise I believe it will be a good fit and that its football program with the right coaching staff and the excitement of new expanded faciities in a conference like the big ten will be a winning combination.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow. Amazing how this latest run has helped change perception. We are being talked about that is a good thin.g Hoping Diaco is decent, and we keep Ollie. Two keys going forward.

Reaction Score
Just read through the thread. The 40,000 seat stadium issue is popping up again on this thread and others I've seen. Footings were put in place when the stadium was built to easily (and quickly) accommodate an expansion to 55-60K. I know that stadium size isn't exactly the Shoe or Big House, but it would be on par with some of the other mid-sized stadium sizes in the B1G.

Michigan: 107,501
Penn State: 107,282
Ohio State: 101,568
Nebraska: 87,091
Wisconsin: 76,129
Michigan State: 72,027
Illinois: 70,904
Iowa: 70,397
Purdue: 67,861
Minnesota: 64,172
Rutgers: 52,454
Indiana: 52,354
Maryland: 51,802
Northwestern: 47,130

pj

Reaction Score
I think the stadium size is less of an issue than in the past. With the rise of large-screen high-definition television, the stadium experience is less desirable. It is getting harder and harder for even marquee programs to fill seats; Alabama had trouble getting students to show up last year. A 50,000 to 60,000 seat stadium will be more than sufficient in the modern era, and the Rent was built to be expanded to that size. B1G fans who hope for a team that fills 80k or 100k stadiums are unreasonable, such a requirement would restrict themselves to the top half dozen football programs in the country.

Reaction Score
Seaa Blue said:
It's truly remarkable that the Buckeye board is talking somewhat favorably about you guys.

We also talk about you guys over here if interested (mostly ACC guys there, but a good mix): http://csnbbs.com/thread-685792.html

Although it's probably bad form, I thought it worth reposting a very good post from a Michigan grad on the Buckeye Sports site (perhaps it's from one my fellow "Michigan" posters on this site?): (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3156&t=12803801&p=1)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a Michigan grad who is passionate about big ten sports (not just football) and our historical rilvaries with OSU and MSU, I am resigned to the direction college athletics is going despite my desire to keep the conferences as they were configured a few years ago.

I have lived in the Hartford area for 17 years and have many contacts at UConn and elsewhere involved in the college sports landscape (remember we are located in ESPN country as well). While the AAU designation is an issue in my opinion UConn and the CT State Legislature and Governor are working together to elevate UConn's research to a level on par with other member schools. The State has allocated its second billion plus committment to the Storr's campus to expand programs, grow the student body, and attract top notch faculty and researchers.

The state has entered into an agreement with Jackson Laboratories to build a huge research operation at the UConn Heatth Campus where they are also builiding a new university hospital. In Storrs, CT a town center is literally being built where no previously existed with the first several phases underdway. The football stadium which is no more than a decade old is a great place to see a game and was built to accommodate an expansion by adding another deck allowing it to easily expand to 55-60K. No one would have given Jim Calhoun a chance in hell to build what we can all agree has been one of the dominant BB programs over the past two decades but he did it in Storr's CT.

There is a passion and love for this University in what is a small but wealthy state with alot of deep pocketed people ready to open their wallets if UConn were to be invited into the BIG TEN. This is a state loaded with hedge fund managers and other wall street types who live in the gold coast of CT down in fairfield county with a state legislature that will support the university moving forward to ensure it is successful.

This is a very good school academically and rapidly getting even better with SAT scores that would easily place it in the top half of the big ten.

As others have already stated and as a original New Yorker, UConn has a huge following in the NYC metro area which is why MSG is considered a third home (in addition to Gampel in Storr's and XL Center in Hartford). UConn would also provide more interest in New England as Storrs is only 75 miles from Boston.

For what its worth I have it on good authority that Texas and OU continue to talk to the BIG TEN and that ultimately there will be four major football conferences consisting of 20-24 schools which could lead to 4 divisions with division leaders playing semifinal and conference championship games resulting in 4 conference champs playing in national semifinal and championship games...essentially this would be a 16 team playoff series in football with potential to expand further with a few at large teams.

This is the future of college sports and having UConn as part of the big ten with its top programs in basketball and soccer and strong programs in baseball, track, and other sports would be an asset to the big ten.

Botom line is academically and research wise I believe it will be a good fit and that its football program with the right coaching staff and the excitement of new expanded faciities in a conference like the big ten will be a winning combination.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The csnbbs boards are the largest compilation of Uconn haters in the world. I tried to chime in there for a while and realized what a giant cess pool it was very quickly. Some of the more respected posters there are write frankly clueless haters of all things Connecticut. Took a gander at the Acc board there just now which has not one but two threads absolutely trashing Uconn. Lol.

As for that second post...that is my dream conference with Texas Oklahoma Kansas and Uconn joining the B1G. I can dig it.

Reaction Score
The csnbbs boards are the largest compilation of Uconn haters in the world. I tried to chime in there for a while and realized what a giant cess pool it was very quickly. Some of the more respected posters there are write frankly clueless haters of all things Connecticut. Took a gander at the Acc board there just now which has not one but two threads absolutely trashing Uconn. Lol.

As for that second post...that is my dream conference with Texas Oklahoma Kansas and Uconn joining the B1G. I can dig it.
I scanned thru it. Pretty laughable stuff. It's one SU fan obsessed with challenging every single positive UConn mention, one of BC's nine fans, bunch of fans of other AAC schools, our old friend TexanMark, couple UConn fans, and a handful of b1G posters.

Reaction Score
I scanned thru it. Pretty laughable stuff. It's one SU fan obsessed with challenging every single positive UConn mention, one of BC's nine fans, bunch of fans of other AAC schools, our old friend TexanMark, couple UConn fans, and a handful of b1G posters.

Well Jax, Gemma, Clay, whatever your name is:

I left a pretty long post supporting UConn & I know there were others, albeit they lacked my passion.

I'm feeling optimistic.

--Gfunk

Reaction Score
Michigan: 107,501
Penn State: 107,282
Ohio State: 101,568
Nebraska: 87,091
Wisconsin: 76,129
Michigan State: 72,027
Illinois: 70,904
Iowa: 70,397
Purdue: 67,861
Minnesota: 64,172
Rutgers: 52,454
Indiana: 52,354
Maryland: 51,802
Northwestern: 47,130

Minny, is actually low 50s even with the Vikings playing there for the next two years. And there haven't been consistent sellouts despite a fairly new, beautiful on-stadium campus.

Reaction Score
The article (http://www.thebuckeyebattlecry.com/2014/04/is-espn-responsible-for-the-rise-of-uconn/) on the other thread is a regrettable speculative piece. The author would have been better served seeking additional perspective of alumni and fans of UConn to provide an answer to his question.

Although not universal, as there are those affiliated with Ohio State and other B1G schools for that matter who do not embrace the idea of UConn to the B1G, there is support within the Ohio State and other B1G fan bases for any future B1G expansion to include UConn. I am one of those in the Ohio State fan base that is supportive of UConn as a candidate for B1G expansion. The idea is gaining momentum as Gfunk stated among message boards and in the media throughout the B1G footprint.

It is my opinion that any derogatory comments that are posted on the Ohio State board and boards of other B1G schools reflect a reluctance to expand beyond the Midwest and pre-conceived notions about UConn.
I think if those who question UConn to the B1G, especially with respect academics, spend some time researching the university (links I have looked at below) then they might see UConn as a great candidate for B1G expansion.

http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf
http://uconn.edu/pdf/uconn_development.pdf
http://www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/lib/malloy/Next_Generation_CT_Overview.pdf

Yeah, but we've had an eastern member since 1991 & now two huge state schools in Md and Rutgers & to some degree JHU.

IMHO, my frequent travels throughout the country have led me to believe the Rust Belt Midwest has more in common with the Mid-Alantic - Northeast than the western BIG. The original Rust Belt always included much of NY & Jersey. Pa will always have Rust Belt culture. People forget that part of the traditional BIG footprint has always been in the eastern time zone (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio & later Pa). Btw, the population of Jersey, Pa and Md is roughly 28 million - that's a substantial increase in eastern presence - incredible potential here.

There will always be 11 Midwestern schools in the BIG - I feel not a an ounce of threat from diversifying eastern schools into the BIG. This human fascination with erecting cultural boundaries, regionalism, nationalism, etc. is absurd, esp along lines of college athletics - there's plenty of in-conference rivalry. Hell I wouldn't even feel island effect if Minnesota for some odd reason joined the Pac12.

Every major conference now includes at least two distinct regions, the ACC leads with 4 regions: Midwest, Deep South, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic. It could be argued that the Pac12 includes 3 regions: Southwest, West Coast, and Rocky Mountain regions. Even the SEC covers 3 regions now - aTm, and Mizzou bring in a Midwestern and Southwestern flavor.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but we've had an eastern member since 1991 & now two huge state schools in Md and Rutgers & to some degree JHU.

IMHO, my frequent travels throughout the country have led me to believe the Rust Belt Midwest has more in common with the Mid-Alantic - Northeast than the western BIG. The original Rust Belt always included much of NY & Jersey. Pa will always have Rust Belt culture. People forget that part of the traditional BIG footprint has always been in the eastern time zone (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio & later Pa). Btw, the population of Jersey, Pa and Md is roughly 28 million - that's a substantial increase in eastern presence - incredible potential here.

There will always be 11 Midwestern schools in the BIG - I feel not a an ounce of threat from diversifying eastern schools into the BIG. This human fascination with erecting cultural boundaries, regionalism, nationalism, etc. is absurd, esp along lines of college athletics - there's plenty of in-conference rivalry. Hell I wouldn't even feel island effect if Minnesota for some odd reason joined the Pac12.

Every major conference now includes at least two distinct regions, the ACC leads with 4 regions: Midwest, Deep South, Northeast, Mid-Atlantic. It could be argued that the Pac12 includes 3 regions: Southwest, West Coast, and Rocky Mountain regions. Even the SEC covers 3 regions now - aTm, and Mizzou bring in a Midwestern and Southwestern flavor.
Part of Ohio used to be part of Connecticut. Can't be surprised.

Interesting to see they think the ACC will survive between the Big 12 and ACC with such conviction. Whatever, guess we'll take the first offer.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Although I'm not the person who wrote this, I have also heard (not what I would say is a good source) that Texas and OU are looking at the Big10. I will believe it when the ink is dry on the papers, but the rumor is out there. I also believe that the ACC will be fine.

Let's say this is true and the Texas and OU "talks" lead to admittance into The Big10. I will cap at 20 (I can't get The Big10 to 24 without dipping into The ACC or SEC) and getting to 20 is such a stretch that if this were to come to fruition, schools like VTU or GTU would almost have to be in the equation.

Pod A (Western A) - Texas, OU, KU, UNL, UH/Texas Tech
  • I believe that an additional Texas school will be needed. Since TCU and Baylor are non starters for the Big10, it comes down to UH or TT. The Big10 would have to decide if the academic profile of UH trumps the athletic profile of TT. 3 anchor programs (UT/OU/UNL). Very difficult pod, but many traditional rivalries from the old Big 8/Big 12.

Pod B (Western B) - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, NW, Iowa
  • Very obvious and keeps many of the rivalries intact. Most traditional of the Big10 centric pods. Wisconsin is the anchor, but a weak pod.
Pod C (Great Lakes Blue) - Michigan, Michigan State, UConn, Indiana, Rutgers
  • Must keep Michigan and MSU together. Thought hard on putting OSU in this pod, but there is a need to spread the traditional teams out. Keeps Michigan and Indiana in the East. Michigan and MSU the anchors here.
Pod D (Great Lakes Red) - OSU, PSU, Buffalo, UMD, Purdue
  • Top heavy with PSU and OSU (Frank the Tank thinks that the PSU/OSU game will not be broken). Some has to take in Buffalo.
The set up would be one protected game per each team and the other 4 would rotate every two years. The crossover games would intermingle, but not count in division standings. The pods would rotate who plays in semis every other year.

Removing Buffalo, the only Non ACC/SEC school I could even think of was Tulane, an AAU school that doesn't fit the Big 10 profile if I ever saw one. It also takes UNL out of the Texas pod. A 24 team Big10 is not possible without The ACC breaking up, in my opinion. I don't think that's happening.

Reaction Score
Although I'm not the person who wrote this, I have also heard (not what I would say is a good source) that Texas and OU are looking at the Big10. I will believe it when the ink is dry on the papers, but the rumor is out there. I also believe that the ACC will be fine.

Let's say this is true and the Texas and OU "talks" lead to admittance into The Big10. I will cap at 20 (I can't get The Big10 to 24 without dipping into The ACC or SEC) and getting to 20 is such a stretch that if this were to come to fruition, schools like VTU or GTU would almost have to be in the equation.

Pod A (Western A) - Texas, OU, KU, UNL, UH/Texas Tech

• [ ]I believe that an additional Texas school will be needed. Since TCU and Baylor are non starters for the Big10, it comes down to UH or TT. The Big10 would have to decide if the academic profile of UH trumps the athletic profile of TT. 3 anchor programs (UT/OU/UNL). Very difficult pod, but many traditional rivalries from the old Big 8/Big 12.

Pod B (Western B) - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, NW, Iowa

• [ ]Very obvious and keeps many of the rivalries intact. Most traditional of the Big10 centric pods. Wisconsin is the anchor, but a weak pod.
Pod C (Great Lakes Blue) - Michigan, Michigan State, UConn, Indiana, Rutgers

• [ ]Must keep Michigan and MSU together. Thought hard on putting OSU in this pod, but there is a need to spread the traditional teams out. Keeps Michigan and Indiana in the East. Michigan and MSU the anchors here.
Pod D (Great Lakes Red) - OSU, PSU, Buffalo, UMD, Purdue

• [ ]Top heavy with PSU and OSU (Frank the Tank thinks that the PSU/OSU game will not be broken). Some has to take in Buffalo.
The set up would be one protected game per each team and the other 4 would rotate every two years. The crossover games would intermingle, but not count in division standings. The pods would rotate who plays in semis every other year.

Removing Buffalo, the only Non ACC/SEC school I could even think of was Tulane, an AAU school that doesn't fit the Big 10 profile if I ever saw one. It also takes UNL out of the Texas pod. A 24 team Big10 is not possible without The ACC breaking up, in my opinion. I don't think that's happening.

I share your skepticism about Texas and OU to the B1G. However, if this ever were to happen and the end game of 20 was the result, I think having Michigan, MSU and OSU together can be accomplished and here is an alternate scenario I would prefer that also brings Mizzou over to the B1G to rekindle rivalries from the Big 8/Big 12.

Pod A: Texas, OU, KU, Mizzou, Nebraska (Big 8/Big 12 rivalries rekindled)
Pod B: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern (traditional Big Ten rivalries)
Pod C: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, OSU (traditional Big Ten rivalries)
Pod D: PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn and ? (Eastern rivalries but need to find a 20th)

You play everyone within your pod every year. This preserves Michigan and MSU as well as Michigan and OSU on an annual basis. The annual game between OSU and PSU is lost which is unfortunate but traditional and regional rivalries will thrive under this scenario. You rotate the pods to form divisions in order to play everyone else every three years. The challenge with this scenario (finding a 20th team) is the same challenge that is present now (finding a 16th team to go with UConn).

Reaction Score
Part of Ohio used to be part of Connecticut. Can't be surprised.

Interesting to see they think the ACC will survive between the Big 12 and ACC with such conviction. Whatever, guess we'll take the first offer.

Ha ha. I remember learning about this years ago when I went to a seminar at Case Western in Cleveland. We got a campus tour and history lesson. It was actually an entertaining discussion & that's a fine school with a beautiful campus and view of DT Cleveland. Didn't the Western Reserve actually expand beyond this now part of Ohio?

Reaction Score
I share your skepticism about Texas and OU to the B1G. However, if this ever were to happen and the end game of 20 was the result, I think having Michigan, MSU and OSU together can be accomplished and here is an alternate scenario I would prefer that also brings Mizzou over to the B1G to rekindle rivalries from the Big 8/Big 12.

Pod A: Texas, OU, KU, Mizzou, Nebraska (Big 8/Big 12 rivalries rekindled)
Pod B: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern (traditional Big Ten rivalries)
Pod C: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, OSU (traditional Big Ten rivalries)
Pod D: PSU, Rutgers, Maryland, UConn and ? (Eastern rivalries but need to find a 20th)

You play everyone within your pod every year. This preserves Michigan and MSU as well as Michigan and OSU on an annual basis. The annual game between OSU and PSU is lost which is unfortunate but traditional and regional rivalries will thrive under this scenario. You rotate the pods to form divisions in order to play everyone else every three years. The challenge with this scenario (finding a 20th team) is the same challenge that is present now (finding a 16th team to go with UConn).

I'd prefer the BIG stop at 18 max. I do like the BIG @ 20 pod system better for football, but you can do something interesting with 18 - but it would require 11 CGs, which I think is fine.

Play your pod every year (5 games).

Then play 3 from each of the other pods - therefore taking 3 years to complete a home & home with every team in the other pods.

Thus the conference ensures consistent cultural interconnection, esp considering the size and geography of the conference.

Don't ask me how tie-breakers work in this scenario, but the administrators get paid plenty enough to figure it out.

I've argued that a BIG@18 should include 2 basketball powers (UConn and KU) and 2 football powers (OU and UT). If these 4 additions were to miraculously unfold, the BIG would cement itself as major force - which it is close to now in basketball if not for all these runners up. The miracle part is UT jumping aboard as a fair-minded member, OU will tag along because they feel so dependent on Tx recruits - which is absurd because they've always been able to recruit Tx due to proximity and a rivalry game that will always exist. I really think the BIG could peel KU and UConn away right now if they wanted - KU would accept their exit fees and not look back.

But the BIG has a prep football issue. Until the Midwest and Northeast hs leagues figure out a way to reduce & specialize prep football on a year round basis, which is pretty much what the Southeast and Texas does now, albeit the privately funded angle is not as influential because the weather permits outside play year round - THE BEST RECRUITS WILL REMIAN IN THE SE, TX & OTHER PLACES LIKE CA. Ohio has figured out how to maintain close to year round football & Jersey & Md are getting there. But damn if Illinois and Michigan even seem to try despite a lot of people and vacant brown fields in their inner cities.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
I'd prefer the BIG stop at 18 max. I do like the BIG @ 20 pod system better for football, but you can do something interesting with 18 - but it would require 11 CGs, which I think is fine.

Play your pod every year (5 games).

Then play 3 from each of the other pods - therefore taking 3 years to complete a home & home with every team in the other pods.

Thus the conference ensures consistent cultural interconnection, esp considering the size and geography of the conference.

I also think 18 is better than 20, unless the ACC breaks up as well as the B12 and you go down to 3 superconferences. But I don't see why you need 11 games with 3 pods of 6. 5 games in pod, 2 games against each other pod for 9 games -- that covers every other pod in 3 years, home and home in 6. Or add in a fixed rivalry game and 2 each for a 10 game schedule. Or do 3 games against one pod and 2 against the other, rotating which pod gets the 3 and which the 2, for a 10 game schedule that covers the other pods in 2.4 years, home and home in 5 years.

Reaction Score

Think of it like a football fan of Illinois or Purdue. They need to play Ohio State and Meatchicken as often as possible. They need to play Nebraska and Penn State nearly as much as they need to play the other pair. Every expansion means they lose games against those 4 to play Rutgers and Maryland - that is not a good trade. To play the big 4 of the BUG even less often to play UConn and Kansas as conference games - that is a very bad trade.

Now compare that to the SEC. The move to 14 teams means everybody plays fewer games against Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, but instead of big joke Rutgers and joke Maryland they get to play Texas A&M. Now that's a trade that can work for everybody.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Texas to the B1G is a long shot, IMO. Delany has made it pretty clear that the B1G wants its schools to all be equal and when has Texas ever wanted to stoop itself to equality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom