OT: yet another SMU defection | The Boneyard

OT: yet another SMU defection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still a meaningful defection. McQuaid was a top 50 prospect and would've made an instant impact in 2015. This is an ominous sign for SMU, and especially the 70 something year old Larry Brown.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
This may be Larry 's last year with all the defections, but either way, Tim Jankovich will take over after Larry steps down.

Jank went 104-64 at Illinois State, featuring 4 NITs...plus he's had several years to learn under Larry Brown...SMU will be fine.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Lets go after this kid a long wing who can shoot is exactly what that class needs

Reaction Score
This may be Larry 's last year with all the defections, but either way, Tim Jankovich will take over after Larry steps down.

Jank went 104-64 at Illinois State, featuring 4 NITs...plus he's had several years to learn under Larry Brown...SMU will be fine.
That is not going to help SMU one bit. Larry is the reason they are doing so well and when he leaves it is over at this level- there are not many Kevin Ollies out there waiting in the wings and Jank is no Kevin Ollie.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
That is not going to help SMU one bit. Larry is the reason they are doing so well and when he leaves it is over at this level- there are not many Kevin Ollies out there waiting in the wings and Jank is no Kevin Ollie.

He doesn't need to be Kevin Ollie, and no one is saying SMU will become UConn overnight...I'm saying it would nice if SMU can consistently make the NIT or NCAA tourney...instead of their normal 15-16 win seasons.

Reaction Score
UCONN fans route for teams in our conference- always have. Most of us just don't like to think about our new lot in life.

I think if you, Cinnci and SMU do not make the NCAAs next year the AAC is going to be even a bigger $%#& sandwich then we envisioned. The AAC needs at least 4 teams in the NCAA for anyone to pay attention to us at all. The AACs strength of schedule in the bottom half of the conference is going to be abysmal so unless there is an big upset in the AAC tourney those teams have almost no shot whatsoever.

I am hoping for three ranked teams-Memphis, SMU and UCONN.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
UCONN fans route for teams in our conference- always have. Most of us just don't like to think about our new lot in life.

I think if you, Cinnci and SMU do not make the NCAAs next year the AAC is going to be even a bigger $%#& sandwich then we envisioned. The AAC needs at least 4 teams in the NCAA for anyone to pay attention to us at all. The AACs strength of schedule in the bottom half of the conference is going to be abysmal so unless there is an big upset in the AAC tourney those teams have almost no shot whatsoever.

I'm sure they will be in the NCAAs THIS season...I'm talking the next 4-5 years after that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Disagree.

In terms of having a succession plan for an aging head coach, SMU is better positioned than, say, Syracuse. They have a proven head coach in waiting.

Jankovich had options - SMU had to pony up about $750K to get him.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Disagree.

In terms of having a succession plan for an aging head coach, SMU is better positioned than, say, Syracuse. They have a proven head coach in waiting.

Syracuse's succession plan is praying that Hopkins never gets a job (for some reason), which after getting rejected by Oregon State and BC seems pretty damn likely.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While I shouldn't poke fun at a kid....ladies and gentlemen.....Matt McQuaid!

MCQUAID,-MATT_6_25_150.JPG

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I feel badly for Larry and our conference.

Reaction Score
Disagree.

He is better then Quse's lot in life post JB -but I am not convinced he will be enough to keep the very high level of talent coming to SMU. As long as we are in this conference I hope I am wrong.

Reaction Score

Let's not kid ourselves. Going from Larry Brown, one of the most accomplished basketball coaches in history, to Tim Jankovich is going to be a significant downgrade.

Reaction Score

I think that Houston, if Sampson can keep his nose clean, could make some noise at some point. That used to be a really good program. Temple, too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think that Houston, if Sampson can keep his nose clean, could make some noise at some point. That used to be a really good program. Temple, too.

"If Sampson doesn't get caught" is a more appropriate sentiment. A leopard don't change his spots. I honestly don't care if he doesn't play by the rules; I want our conference mates to be good.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"If Sampson doesn't get caught" is a more appropriate sentiment. A leopard don't change his spots. I honestly don't care if he doesn't play by the rules; I want our conference mates to be good.
Sampson had the boom lowered on him for making impermissible phone calls. Big deal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sampson had the boom lowered on him for making impermissible phone calls. Big deal.

Yeah I know, I'm not actually fussed about it. Was just saying.

Reaction Score

Kid can shoot the ball and has a nice 1st step………too bad for larry good for someone else - nice player!

Reaction Score

I'd read somewhere that the rule he broke is no longer even a rule, but I'm pretty sure it was like a comments section, so I have no idea if that's accurate.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Let's not kid ourselves. Going from Larry Brown, one of the most accomplished basketball coaches in history, to Tim Jankovich is going to be a significant downgrade.

As I said, he doesn't have to be as good as Larry...just keep what he started rolling, and make sure they don't slide back into irrelevance.

Reaction Score
As I said, he doesn't have to be as good as Larry...just keep what he started rolling, and make sure they don't slide back into irrelevance.

If Brown leaves after this year, they'll have never really slid out of irrelevance in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom