OT: Wow Source say Miles might be out at LSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Wow Source say Miles might be out at LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Talk to any LSU fan and they would pack his bags and bring him to the airport They want a coach that can beat Alabama

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe Chip Kelly could get the LSU job

If you were Chip Kelly, would you want to deal with Alabama's defense every year or would you just go to USC where they will give you all the money in the world and let you maul PAC-12 defenses for a living?

Reaction Score
If you were Chip Kelly, would you want to deal with Alabama's defense every year or would you just go to USC where they will give you all the money in the world and let you maul PAC-12 defenses for a living?

Of course I would take the USC job over LSU better location and like you said maul pac 12 defenses for a living I just brought his name up as a coaching candidate for LSU hence the word maybe.

Reaction Score
The more money a job pays the more unreasonable the expectations. They're paying him what 5 or 6 million a year? Three game losing streaks are not tolerated. Not beating Alabama every other year is a sore spot.

Charlie Strong is in trouble in Texas in YEAR 2. How is that possible, everyone knows he can coach. Rumor is he is interested in Miami, thus open I ng Texas for Chip Kelley.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Talk to any LSU fan and they would pack his bags and bring him to the airport They want a coach that can beat Alabama

As an LSU fan, I am torn. Miles is a good and honorable man that is a good leader of young men. That said, the team consistently makes mistakes you see from year 1 coaches. He hasn't beaten Bam a in years and is 13-10 in conference over the past 3.

I don't think they should run out a guy that has been in 2 Title games in 10 years, but it is what it is. Word is, if it happens s it is because Jim o is a done deal to come back to Baton Rouge. LSU fans are very Nebraska-esque right now.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Its a unique breed down there...the N word was used multiple times while describing the LSU QB while we were eating dinner, in public.

As a whole they hate Les Miles (I don't get it but so be it)...

I am ashamed every time I experience this in Baton Rouge and thankful as hell my parents moved me to Connecticut when we were young.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I'd just like to know how solid that recruiting class is if he's shown the door. How much attrition will there be?

Already lost their top prospect. #1 overall qb Felipe Frank's is out.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
As an LSU fan, I am torn. Miles is a good and honorable man that is a good leader of young men. That said, the team consistently makes mistakes you see from year 1 coaches. He hasn't beaten Bam a in years and is 13-10 in conference over the past 3.

I don't think they should run out a guy that has been in 2 Title games in 10 years, but it is what it is. Word is, if it happens s it is because Jim o is a done deal to come back to Baton Rouge. LSU fans are very Nebraska-esque right now.

I'm a Nebraska fan and I can attest to where LSU fans are at. It's actually very similar to Bob Stoops at OU before the Sugar Bowl W vs Alabama. Lots of people saw him win a National Championship early and then OU seemed "stuck" under Big Game Bob despite being pretty dang good year in and year out. Les can coach for sure, I'll be curious where he ends up. I'll say S Carolina or another southern school. Even though he's a Michigan Man I have a hard time seeing him at Maryland/Illinois/Rutgers/Purdue or any of those terrible jobs

Reaction Score
I'm a Nebraska fan and I can attest to where LSU fans are at. It's actually very similar to Bob Stoops at OU before the Sugar Bowl W vs Alabama. Lots of people saw him win a National Championship early and then OU seemed "stuck" under Big Game Bob despite being pretty dang good year in and year out. Les can coach for sure, I'll be curious where he ends up. I'll say S Carolina or another southern school. Even though he's a Michigan Man I have a hard time seeing him at Maryland/Illinois/Rutgers/Purdue or any of those terrible jobs

Crazy thing is Maryland and Under Armor may have enough cash to entice a big timer like Miles. Should be interesting.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I can see Miles end up at Texas or Miami. Miami desperately needs to sell tickets down there while getting back to the 90s. Miles is a character that the weird Miami fanbase would eat right up.

Reaction Score
I could definitely see jimbo leaving for lsu. Coached with saban there and lsu is probably the best/easiest job in the sec. Louisiana is loaded with talent and no other school recruits there because they are all lsu bound for the most part. They also easy access to texas. You are almost guaranteed a top 5-10 class yearly. He'll get a pay bump and be in the best football league. It all comes down to his ego.

I think Chip bolts for Southern Cal. The Eagles are in free fall right now.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Charlie Strong leave Texas for Miami. His home turf and doesn't have to deal with the Texas boosters and new AD who didn't hire him. He has one more year guaranteed to him but could see both sides parting ways.

Would Rich Rod go to VT? Rumors are he wants to be back on the east coast.

Tons of coaching changes coming. Going to be an interesting few months.

Reaction Score

I could see Jimbo Fisher leaving Tallahassee for Baton Rouge faster than the Colts left Baltimore for Indianapolis...he is going through a divorce..the SEC is a MUCH better league than the ACC and because of the SECN they make a LOT more $$ than FSU does or will in the future. That being said if Miles is indeed bought out and shown the door the AD at South Carolina would be foolish if he didn't pounce on him ASAP. He could have the same run Spurrier had there and stay till he decided to leave.

Reaction Score

That ended so well for Nebraska . . .

Reaction Score
Very interesting in reading that there are connected parties willing to pony up 15 to 20MM to buy him out....
The guy is something like 111 and 31 in his time there. numerous championships, bowls etc.....

What I am curious about is the effect on younger coaches looking to get to that SEC or Power 5 level.?? If you're making
1.5 to 3MM a year and you're building a program future, do you move to that hope of taking LSU or USC to a national title.?

Probably a case by case situation.....
Jimbo fisher and DABO, already having programs considered in the National playoff picture earning huge $$$, ....perhaps we need to refine AND Define
dream job.

If you are a Fuentes or Hermann and you have had your salary bounced to 3MM with a long term contract, do you hang in
like Patterson did at TCU and continue to build a program and ride the program into the next level if there appears
that the likes of a Houston or Memphis would get a Big 12/ p5 invite or DO YOU TAKE A SHOT AT SHORT TERM
slightly larger salary hoping to build it long term?

Many cases of going to the bigger situation and failing at their dream jobs where others have succeeded.

A few have built coaching immortality...... we can look no further than Geno or JC of staying and building.... and becoming legends.

In short-is it worth the risk of going to a crazed fanbase (as in the case of LSU) ?
They will find someone crazy enough to go Baton Rouge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think Chip is going anywhere...He got full control last year I believe so I don't think he leaves and I don't think they blow him out - I am wrong a lot though.
Kelly is gone. He got rid of their best players and the ones he kept have quit on him.

Reaction Score
That ended so well for Nebraska . . .
Nebraska is always solid, but they've never exceeded where Frank Solich had them. In terms of unfair firings, that one may well be at the top of the heap in CFB history.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
The more money a job pays the more unreasonable the expectations. They're paying him what 5 or 6 million a year? Three game losing streaks are not tolerated. Not beating Alabama every other year is a sore spot.

Charlie Strong is in trouble in Texas in YEAR 2. How is that possible, everyone knows he can coach. Rumor is he is interested in Miami, thus open I ng Texas for Chip Kelley.
Now that's interesting... Kelley to Texas? Could work. I think Mizzou, USC (if they don't get Les Miles and he gets fired), and SC will all be going after him too.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Firing Miles would trump Nebraska's stupidity. Bama is on a high right now and is likely going to slide back as playing time and not wanting to be just another guy sends recruits elsewhere. LSU's soon to be former #1 class is evidence of that.

There is also the Saban burnout factor. While he may not pull an Urban Meyer and bail, he us likely to lose key staff and coast a bit. Miles is one of the few guys who has been able to match him off the field. Game day will come around if they stick with it.

But, the train has rolled and there is no coming back. If he lost his QB, then he's on his way out and if not, he should want out. He can pick his next job and salary. If he gets buyout money, all the better. He should tell his recruits to hold on and join him at the next stop. It will take all but a week to get a new contract signed elsewhere. Wouldn't that just stick it to LSU.

Reaction Score
As long as they perpetuate an elite group of programs through P5 affiliation and media control with 4 anointed contenders, there will be perpetual unhappiness among members of the elite country club who think themselves entitled to greatness. NCAA Football will implode without an expanded playoff system of 16 teams who fight it out on the field. You have teams with no shot because they lose one game, and others with a shot who have lost one game but are excused by reputation, and those who may have lost 2 games who might be better than those who have not but cannot represent because of keeping up perceived reputation, and still others undefeated who never would have a shot because they are outside the elite club. The system is designed for discontent. The old bowl system let everyone claim a little slice of heaven and there was contentment. Now, that's not good enough. They raised the stakes, closed up club membership to elites, and every Biff and Barbie wants their turn at the club championship by being in the final 4. The truth is the only fair solution is an expanded playoff. This lowers the bar of success, allows for redemption and an opportunity to prove it out on the field where it belongs. Until then, coaches will be fired with increased frequency and salaries will skyrocket as they case for the new best thing on coaching.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I hope as a fanbase we never become so insane.

I'm sure as a fanbase we'd welcome it.

The good (on Les):
8 10-win seasons in 11 years
1 National Title
2 Title Game apps
2 SEC Titles
110 wins (75%)

The bad (on Les):
5 straight losses to Alabama
13-10 in the last 3 years in the SEC
Over the last 3 years, tied with Old Miss and Texas A&M for 6th in SEC wins
1-3 in their last 4 bowls
Consistent penalty ridden teams
Consistenly bad QB play (and offense in general)

I hope he doesn't go out this way because he has been a winner and been good to the kids he coached. I still say Tyrann Mathieu probably owes Les his life for kicking him off the team. Jimbo or someone like Chip Kelly are the only coaches you'd spend $15 million to get rid of Miles for. Anything else puts LSU back into the abyss they were in in the 90's.

Reaction Score
Now that's interesting... Kelley to Texas? Could work. I think Mizzou, USC (if they don't get Les Miles and he gets fired), and SC will all be going after him too.
I think that would be a homerun. They love that style of football at the Texas HS level. He'd be in there recruiting the best kids in Texas to play in that system. I really think he'd have them back in National Title hunt in no time flat. Miami could also be a soft landing spot for Charlie Strong who has strong ties to south Florida no pun intended. Strong can coach, I just don't think he is a good fit at Texas and I'm wondering if hiring him was somehow related to how well Sumlin has done down at Texas A&M, as he has absolutely tore it up recruiting wise.

Reaction Score
Very interesting in reading that there are connected parties willing to pony up 15 to 20MM to buy him out....
The guy is something like 111 and 31 in his time there. numerous championships, bowls etc.....

What I am curious about is the effect on younger coaches looking to get to that SEC or Power 5 level.?? If you're making
1.5 to 3MM a year and you're building a program future, do you move to that hope of taking LSU or USC to a national title.?

Probably a case by case situation.....
Jimbo fisher and DABO, already having programs considered in the National playoff picture earning huge $$$, ....perhaps we need to refine AND Define
dream job.

If you are a Fuentes or Hermann and you have had your salary bounced to 3MM with a long term contract, do you hang in
like Patterson did at TCU and continue to build a program and ride the program into the next level if there appears
that the likes of a Houston or Memphis would get a Big 12/ p5 invite or DO YOU TAKE A SHOT AT SHORT TERM
slightly larger salary hoping to build it long term?

Many cases of going to the bigger situation and failing at their dream jobs where others have succeeded.

A few have built coaching immortality. we can look no further than Geno or JC of staying and building.... and becoming legends.

In short-is it worth the risk of going to a crazed fanbase (as in the case of LSU) ?
They will find someone crazy enough to go Baton Rouge.
Problem really is that there are only a few programs out there where you can be really successful. LSU for sure but they aren't hiring Fuentez or Rhule or Herman. You go to Minnesota and your upside is 8-3 pinstripe bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom