OT: wonderful upset by Team USA in the 1976 Olympics (with video) | The Boneyard

OT: wonderful upset by Team USA in the 1976 Olympics (with video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A few years ago, I (somewhat randomly) started this thread about the East German doping program, primarily for women's sports. During the discussion, it was mentioned that, at the conclusion of the 1976 Olympic women's swimming competitions, the USA women defeated the East Germans (GDR/DDR) in shocking fashion at the 4X100 relay. At the time of the thread, this competition wasn't on YouTube or what have you...but now it is.

The race is right here:

The East German women had won Gold in 11 of 12 events, with many world records set. Well, this time, Team USA stood its ground and very properly took advantage of its last chance at Gold. Shirley Babashoff, who won multiple silver medals and would have set world records if weren't for the DDR women, finally won her Gold in 1976. She was chastised for speaking up about her suspicions of cheating among the DDR, but she was right in this occasion, damn it. No, there isn't a specific archetype of what a woman should sound like and look like, but these women in the DDR were unwittingly put in grave danger by being given "vitamins" that were, in fact, horrible steroids.

Enjoy the race; this is a classic.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Indeed- a blast from the past I was ecstatic to find!

This race, as upsets go, kind of reminds me of the 2008 men's 4X100 thriller over favored France. Of course, team USA featured Michael Phelps. However, 1976 was unique because of the Cold War context, combined with blatant cheating. Many of these DDR women suffered longitudinal damage to their health, but Team USA denied the DDR this particular moment of glory and took home one of their own!

Btw, why was Wendy Boglioli's name pronounced "Wendy Bowl-ee-oh" like it rhymes with polio? No one knows, I imagine, but it was definitely odd.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Reminds me of a much more recent race, with one big difference: in 1976, the swimmers were of course going head-to-head against the dopesters. In the race below, the Americans were running against eastern bloc sprinters from the past who were probably doped and hormonally altered to an even greater degree. Specifically, the women's 4 x 100m sprint relay where the WR had stood for nearly 27 years dating back to 1985---a monument to the madness of state-sponsored, hormone-laced athletic development programs.

To wit:

Another race I won't soon forget.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members