OT-why did UCONN recruit 3 players from Germany in the same class? | The Boneyard

OT-why did UCONN recruit 3 players from Germany in the same class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
was it a case where they simply couldn't field a roster?

They weren't the same class. Leon is not in the same class as the other two. Giffey and Wolf deserved those scholarships.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you're implying Leon doesn't deserve a scholarship, then I'm disappointed. The kid goes to class, gets on the honor roll, and doesn't say a word bad about anything. Not to mention he is a pretty solid player.

Reaction Score
If you're implying Leon doesn't deserve a scholarship, then I'm disappointed. The kid goes to class, gets on the honor roll, and doesn't say a word bad about anything. Not to mention he is a pretty solid player.
I'm bummed he didn't see any minutes tonight w/o DD. If DeAndre can't go against UCF I suspect we see him.

Reaction Score

I don't think he's implying anything. I think that would require a level of thought way beyond this guy. A string of the most bizarre posts in a while.

Reaction Score
The short bus has stopped in front of the Boneyard again.

Only your little quips can make me spit out orange juice at 5:15am after a heartbreaking Husky loss Fishman ……..well done

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Our sanctions were hurting our recruiting and the Germans were pretty good. Though I only think Giffey has or had what it takes to be a starter, Wolf sure helped last year.
I wonder if Tolks might be interested in going somewhere to get more pt.

Reaction Score
Every team needs players like Tolksdorf. He seems to be a model citizen and good teammate, just got a 3.0 GPA, he can push the starters in practice and fill in if needed in games. For his part, he's getting a good education, and a good basketball education with great coaching if he wants to pursue a pro career back home.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
UConn is huge in the Rhineland.

Reaction Score
There have been some strange posts on the Boneyard lately, this one is up there with the one that asked if anyone knew of a site the provided updating game stats.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Every team needs players like Tolksdorf. He seems to be a model citizen and good teammate, just got a 3.0 GPA, he can push the starters in practice and fill in if needed in games. For his part, he's getting a good education, and a good basketball education with great coaching if he wants to pursue a pro career back home.
Exactly. There are 13 scholarships and no team goes 13 deep with real playing time.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Just in case anyone remembers my idiotic remarks about Giffey in 2010, I just want to point out that I and the OP are not the same person.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
No bad questions. everyone starts somewhere.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
was it a case where they simply couldn't field a roster?
The first two were a problem misinterpreting a new NCAA emphasis with a somewhat catchy acronym. BOGGOG was instituted before the class of Giffey/Wolf. The new emphasis was intended to stop gambling by teams, officials and players. Bet On Games, Guilty of Gambling (BOGGOG) was intended to suggest the NCAA was going to be more involved with investigating, cracking down and punishing parties involved in manipulating games for profit.

UConn somehow misinterpreted the new acronym as meaning Bring One German, Get One German (BOGGOG). They thought they could get Giffey and not have to use a scholarship for Wolf. Hence two German players in that class. Apparently someone in the compliance office was really into BOGO deals. She has since been transferred to the purchasing department.

The third is the result of someone in the admission office who apparently failed German and he translated the German name Leon Tolksdorf to the American equivalent of Nerlens Noel. The coaches thought they were getting the number one ranked player in the class and a much needed center. That person still works in the admission office but he his no longer allowed to evaluate foreign candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom