OT: What the difference between a "wireless ready printer" and a "wireless ready" | The Boneyard

OT: What the difference between a "wireless ready printer" and a "wireless ready"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Does a wireless on work out of the box with your computer or do both have to be connected to a network?

My son left his at home and I'm buying one and shipping to him. I want to get the right one. Any suggestions?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
Does a wireless on work out of the box with your computer or do both have to be connected to a network? My son left his at home and I'm buying one and shipping to him. I want to get the right one. Any suggestions?

Both connected to network

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Your title is confusing - it says the same thing. I think you are actually asking what is the difference between a wireless ready printer and a wireless printer. Basically I think you're looking at some really old terminology (or terminology that's been around for a long time). Originally personal printers were typically connected to a single PC via a parallel or usb cable. At some point around 10 or so years ago, it became pretty common for printers to have an ethernet (network) port and then a wireless network capability. Today it would be hard to find a printer that was only attached via a USB cable. Most everything you can get has wireless networking built in. As long as it says wireless, it can be connected to your personal network assuming you have a wireless router. They can still be connected directly via USB.

So in summary: A network ready printer has an ethernet port you can plug into your router/hub/switch. A wireless printer probably still has an ethernet port or can be connected wirelessly if you have a wireless router.

Hope that helped.

Reaction Score
What the difference between a "wireless ready printer" and a "wireless ready"
Ahhh. Almost had me. This is a trick question that would lead one to the answers already given - that is, no difference.
Actual answer - the second one doesn't come with the printer included.

Reaction Score
Seriously though, this thread is awesome.
Guy 1, infected with Chapivaug Virus, posts bizarre title question followed by unclear message.
Guy 2, reflexively, almost, posts a very terse answer that doesn't quite answer any question.
Guy 3 goes into a lengthy dialog about differences between printers, but doesn't answer the question.
Guy 4 is a like hog and comes in and posts some useless crap to try to be funny.

The question appears to be - "will the printers work right out of the box with my computer without a network"?
Answer - look for "usb" designation on printer. If it says USB, then, assuming it comes with a cord or you have a cord, and assuming the computer has a USB port, then NO NETWORK IS NEEDED, and the computer can print directly to the printer.

All the printers I have purchased in the last 10 years had the USB port option, with no network needed.

Let me know I was right, brother! ;)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Your title is confusing - it says the same thing. I think you are actually asking what is the difference between a wireless ready printer and a wireless printer. Basically I think you're looking at some really old terminology (or terminology that's been around for a long time). Originally personal printers were typically connected to a single PC via a parallel or usb cable. At some point around 10 or so years ago, it became pretty common for printers to have an ethernet (network) port and then a wireless network capability. Today it would be hard to find a printer that was only attached via a USB cable. Most everything you can get has wireless networking built in. As long as it says wireless, it can be connected to your personal network assuming you have a wireless router. They can still be connected directly via USB.

So in summary: A network ready printer has an ethernet port you can plug into your router/hub/switch. A wireless printer probably still has an ethernet port or can be connected wirelessly if you have a wireless router.

Hope that helped.
Oops, sorry about the title and thanks for the answer. Since he doesn't have a router in his room, it seems like either would have a hard connection to PC. Thanks, your answer was helpful.

Ahhh. Almost had me. This is a trick question that would lead one to the answers already given - that is, no difference.
Actual answer - the second one doesn't come with the printer included.
Typical Strummer answer: 1 part douchy, 1 part balloon knot-ish and one part...well that pretty much it, wasn't it. I guess two out of three isn't bad. ;)

Reaction Score
Oops, sorry about the title and thanks for the answer. Since he doesn't have a router in his room, it seems like either would have a hard connection to PC. Thanks, your answer was helpful.

Typical Strummer answer: 1 part douchy, 1 part balloon knot-ish and one part...well that pretty much it, wasn't it. I guess two out of three isn't bad. ;)
Yeah, but did you see my follow up answer - hilarity and insight in one, and I answered your question!

Reaction Score
Today it would be hard to find a printer that was only attached via a USB cable.

Ouch, but I still ain't buying a new one to print only 5 pages a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom