ot: walking dead season 5 season premiere | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ot: walking dead season 5 season premiere

Reaction Score
That is one of my pet peeves with the show. If you get bit by a zombie you turn into one. If you smear their blood all over you you don't? Someone tell the CDC..it may help with Ebola!

Everyone is already infected, even the ones that are seemingly healthy. That is why the show is called the Walking Dead. Smearing blood doesn't make them any more infected or turn them into zombies. What turns them into zombies is dying.

Reaction Score
They already have their token gay person - Tara, I believe is her name. I highly doubt they'd make Darryl gay. Dude is as masculine as a guy can be.

Well the reason they may do it is to have a character who is super masculine but also gay... I dont hope that the Walking Dead does this because as people have covered I guess Tara was shown to be lesbian already, and it would be kind of lame if in 2 seasons theres like a whole subgroup of gay and lesbian characters, but at the same time it would be so fun to see all the ignorant homophobes and stuffy southerners get all riled up about their main man DARRRRL being A gay

Reaction Score
Chill out dude no need to be so defensive. I'm just giving you a hard time as people on message boards are known to do...

Back to the first part of your post...I never really thought there was any romance between Daryl and carol. Always seemed more like a brother sister thing to me. Every relationship so far in the series has put some type of strain on the group so the writers rightfully don't seem to want to do it just because the viewers expect it.

The comics don't have much in the way of relationships beyond the prison so I wouldn't expect the show to have much either especially considering the writer said this season will follow the comics pretty closely

Brother and sisters dont make sexual innuendo which both characters have done several times.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
Rock Hudson was as masculine as a guy can be.

Are we in 2014 or 1944?

Weird for anyone to say "if this character is gay, I'll stop watching." I don't think he is, but who cares?

Roc was a homosexual. He never played a homosexual.
What difference does it make what year it is? The issue of homosexuality is a divisive one from a moral standpoint and our society is pretty well divided on the issue.

Reaction Score
We will see. The guy in the last flashback scene certainly resembled a particular psychopath.

You mean when he came to the car and took the girl out? That guy was the long-haired deranged guy who they let out of the car and immediately got eaten by a zombie

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Roc was a homos e xual. He never played a homos e xual.
What difference does it make what year it is? The issue of homos e xuality is a divisive one from a moral standpoint and our society is pretty well divided on the issue.

Society evolves. Plessy vs Ferguson was the law of the land.

Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act was the law of the land.

You're either on the right side or the wrong side of history.

Reaction Score
One more asian character and in GONE. THIS SHOW PUSHES MY TOLERANCE TO ITS BRINK.

Great first episode by the way.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They could have done waaaaaaaaaay better with the bottle rocket/gas explosion scene. McGyver would have had trouble pulling off that shot. Carol just randomly stuck the bottle rocket in the ground and 'boom goes the dynamite'.

Other than that, pretty good though. A goshdarn tour de force compared to many of the recent seasons' episodes.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
Society evolves. Plessy vs Ferguson was the law of the land.

Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act was the law of the land.

You're either on the right side or the wrong side of history.

The evolution of a society is contingent upon the moral fabric of that society. Laws don't necessarily determine how sophisticated a society is. But they do indicate what a society's moral health is.
That a thought or position is popular, progressive, in vogue or codified does not make it necessarily true and moral, as clearly is the case with Plessy v Ferguson (ie racism is evil even though there may be a law that protects it). The same can be argued about section 3 of DOMA. Just because it was legally struck down doesn't make the decision morally right.
Homosexuality has been alive and well in all societies and civilizations from the beginning. Slavery and other atrocities against mankind still occur today. If something is true or false, it has to be true or false objectively, regardless of where we are in history. There is no right side or wrong side of history, only right and wrong.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The evolution of a society is contingent upon the moral fabric of that society. Laws don't necessarily determine how sophisticated a society is. But they do indicate what a society's moral health is.
That a thought or position is popular, progressive, in vogue or codified does not make it necessarily true and moral, as clearly is the case with Plessy v Ferguson (ie racism is evil even though there may be a law that protects it). The same can be argued about section 3 of DOMA. Just because it was legally struck down doesn't make the decision morally right.
Homos e xuality has been alive and well in all societies and civilizations from the beginning. Slavery and other atrocities against mankind still occur today. If something is true or false, it has to be true or false objectively, regardless of where we are in history. There is no right side or wrong side of history, only right and wrong.

I honestly don't have any idea what you're saying but it seems you think homosexuality is "wrong," so, agree to disagree.

There is a right side of history. The dissenter in Plessy was on it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rock Hudson was as masculine as a guy can be.

Are we in 2014 or 1944?

Weird for anyone to say "if this character is gay, I'll stop watching." I don't think he is, but who cares?

This only happened once for me (Torchwood), because it (a) completely altered the story arc and changed the nature of the show and (b) was so freaking absurd and utterly out of character for the character. It was blatant PC nonsense by the BBC.

The same would be true here. Darryl is very clearly not gay through 4 seasons of the show...so making him gay would be incredibly stupid and destructive. I've got no problems with Tara being gay or other random gay folks being part of the story. As for the non-kiss, I think Darryl had moved on a bit and has a bit of a crush on Beth, so might be a bit conflicted.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The show does try to skew towards real life whenever possible.

Tonight, an Ebola epidemic breaks out and the zombies start eating chicken until the danger passes.

Reaction Score
don't care for the whole cannibal thing, but I get it. Starting to seem like the movie "The Road"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Another tough guy on the wrong side of history. Cool quote, btw.
Tough guy????? :rolleyes:

And again, history doesn't have anything to do with right and wrong. Something is either right or wrong, doesn't matter where in history it is. It might be, or have been, "acceptable" at some point in history, but that doesn't make it any less right or wrong.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tough guy????? :rolleyes:

And again, history doesn't have anything to do with right and wrong. Something is either right or wrong, doesn't matter where in history it is. It might be, or have been, "acceptable" at some point in history, but that doesn't make it any less right or wrong.

Correct. Prejudice is often acceptable despite being wrong.

People used to use the Bible to sustain miscegenation laws. Now they use it to oppose same-sex marriage.

Klan members still think they're right, no matter what the majority thinks. And homophobes will still think they're right, no matter that future society will reject their views as bigoted. I suppose you're in that second group, so no matter what I say matters to you, because you reject the notion that you could ever be proven wrong. But watch out for strange bedfellows, friend.

I understand the purported distinction between "anti-miscegenation" and "anti-gay-marriage." Of course I understand the argument. I'd like you to understand that (a) many people find it ridiculous on its face because it flies in the face of science and obvious human behavior, (b) relies exclusively on a book written by a bunch of rabbis a few thousand years ago and literally nothing else, and (c) ignores the fact that that there is a gigantic overlap between pre-1967 anti-miscegenation folks and those who currently oppose same-sex marriage.

To wrap this up with a bow, 50 years from now, the vast majority of society will accept homosexuality and gay marriage and will look at those who are not accepting of it as bigoted, just as you and I look at racists as bigoted. You'll still have the argument that you're "right," though, so there's that.

Uh, anyway, how about that scene with Gareth? Pretty crazy!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

People used to use the Bible to sustain miscegenation laws. Now they use it to oppose same-s e x marriage.

Klan members still think they're right, no matter what the majority thinks. And homophobes will still think they're right, no matter that future society will reject their views as bigoted. I suppose you're in that second group, so no matter what I say matters to you, because you reject the notion that you could ever be proven wrong. But watch out for strange bedfellows, friend.

I understand the purported distinction between "anti-miscegenation" and "anti-gay-marriage." Of course I understand the argument. I'd like you to understand that (a) many people find it ridiculous on its face because it flies in the face of science and obvious human behavior, (b) relies exclusively on a book written by a bunch of rabbis a few thousand years ago and literally nothing else, and (c) ignores the fact that that there is a gigantic overlap between pre-1967 anti-miscegenation folks and those who currently oppose same-s e x marriage.

To wrap this up with a bow, 50 years from now, the vast majority of society will accept homos e xuality and gay marriage and will look at those who are not accepting of it as bigoted, just as you and I look at racists as bigoted. You'll still have the argument that you're "right," though, so there's that.
I'm not saying whether gay marriage is right or it is wrong. I'm saying history has no bearing on whether it is right or wrong, only if it is acceptable or not acceptable.

Yea. I've heard it was pretty much verbatim right out of the comic (just different characters). We'll see if it plays out the rest of the way from the comics or differs.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score

People used to use the Bible to sustain miscegenation laws. Now they use it to oppose same-s e x marriage.

I understand the purported distinction between "anti-miscegenation" and "anti-gay-marriage." Of course I understand the argument. I'd like you to understand that (a) many people find it ridiculous on its face because it flies in the face of science and obvious human behavior, (b) relies exclusively on a book written by a bunch of rabbis a few thousand years ago and literally nothing else, and (c) ignores the fact that that there is a gigantic overlap between pre-1967 anti-miscegenation folks and those who currently oppose same-s e x marriage.

To wrap this up with a bow, 50 years from now, the vast majority of society will accept homos e xuality and gay marriage and will look at those who are not accepting of it as bigoted, just as you and I look at racists as bigoted. You'll still have the argument that you're "right," though, so there's that.

Dude, you're killing me.

Klan members are morally corrupt not because they're in disagreement with the majority. They're corrupt because they subscribe to an objectively false and evil belief system. Even if the majority of society subscribed to the Klan's point of view, said point of view (racism) would still be morally evil. Again, truth has nothing to do with the majority rule. According to your mode of argumentation, if the majority of society all of a sudden decided that racism is justified, that would make the decision a morally correct one. This is absurd, but that's where your argument naturally leads to.

Jews and Christians believe that the Bible (Old Testament for Jews & Old and New Testaments for Christians) is the inspired Word of God. It is made up of various types of literary forms that span generations and which were composed by many different authors. To refer to it as merely "a book written by a bunch of rabbis a few thousand years ago" is intellectually ignorant and just plain false.

Folks in history may have used the Bible to support miscegenation but this is a false interpretation of scripture. God never forbids interracial dating or marriage in the Bible for the sake of keeping His people racially pure. From the moment the Israelites left Egypt there was with them a mix of several different races. For example, Joseph, son of the Patriarch, Jacob, married an Egyptian woman and had two sons with her and this in no way is condemned by God. And of course Christians are an amalgamation of folks from various races around the world. Christianity transcends race and it's always been that way from its inception. In the Old Testament, God does warn the Israelites about interracial marriages, but only insofar as He is concerned about inter-religious relationships that could negatively impact the Israelites ( i.e. cause the Israelites to water down or abandon their faith). God's concern is to preserve His people by keeping them religiously pure and this shouldn't be of any surprise.

Homosexual behavior, on the other hand is unequivocally condemned by God in both the Old and New testaments. There is no ambiguity in the Bible on that matter (e.g. 1Corinthians 6:9-11 & Leviticus 18:22ff) and thus it should not come as a surprise that Christians and Jews consider homosexual behavior to be unnatural ("peccata contra natura" or sins against nature) and immoral.

As far as your prediction goes, it fails to consider that Muslims and Christians combined make up about 54% of the world's population and both religions consider homosexuality to be immoral. Agree or disagree, both religions are nothing if not extremely resilient.

You clearly hate religion and that's your right. But please try to educate yourself before opining on things about which you clearly know very little.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Dude, you're killing me.

Klan members are morally corrupt not because they're in disagreement with the majority. They're corrupt because they subscribe to an objectively false and evil belief system. Even if the majority of society subscribed to the Klan's point of view, said point of view (racism) would still be morally evil. Again, truth has nothing to do with the majority rule. According to your mode of argumentation, if the majority of society all of a sudden decided that racism is justified, that would make the decision a morally correct one. This is absurd, but that's where your argument naturally leads to.

Jews and Christians believe that the Bible (Old Testament for Jews & Old and New Testaments for Christians) is the inspired Word of God. It is made up of various types of literary forms that span generations and which were composed by many different authors. To refer to it as merely "a book written by a bunch of rabbis a few thousand years ago" is intellectually ignorant and just plain false.

Folks in history may have used the Bible to support miscegenation but this is a false interpretation of scripture. God never forbids interracial dating or marriage in the Bible for the sake of keeping His people racially pure. From the moment the Israelites left Egypt there was with them a mix of several different races. For example, Joseph, son of the Patriarch, Jacob, married an Egyptian woman and had two sons with her and this in no way is condemned by God. And of course Christians are an amalgamation of folks from various races around the world. Christianity transcends race and it's always been that way from its inception. In the Old Testament, God does warn the Israelites about interracial marriages, but only insofar as He is concerned about inter-religious relationships that could negatively impact the Israelites ( i.e. cause the Israelites to water down or abandon their faith). God's concern is to preserve His people by keeping them religiously pure and this shouldn't be of any surprise.

Homos e xual behavior, on the other hand is unequivocally condemned by God in both the Old and New testaments. There is no ambiguity in the Bible on that matter (e.g. 1Corinthians 6:9-11 & Leviticus 18:22ff) and thus it should not come as a surprise that Christians and Jews consider homos e xual behavior to be unnatural ("peccata contra natura" or sins against nature) and immoral.

As far as your prediction goes, it fails to consider that Muslims and Christians combined make up about 54% of the world's population and both religions consider homos e xuality to be immoral. Agree or disagree, both religions are nothing if not extremely resilient.

You clearly hate religion and that's your right. But please try to educate yourself before opining on things about which you clearly know very little.

Don't be insulting. Obviously I've touched a nerve, but you don't need to insult my intelligence because I don't share your unflinching belief in a text.

I'm a student of religion. I was raised with religion, I attended religious camp and took religious classes through high school. I took two Bible classes -- one Old Testament and one New Testament -- in college. So drop the "let me explain this to you" BS, OK?

I understand every point you raise; it's not like it's the first time I heard it. I don't "hate" religion, but I'm not fond of it, mostly because it allows people like you to rely exclusively on the verbatim text of a 3000 year old book and ignore what science and the study of human behavior, both past and present, tell us. Like I said, I've got a lot of religion in my background. I never had a bad experience with it; it just never took. Mostly because at a young age I identified the Bible as a series of stories, many of which were regurgitations of other religious themes.

You can hem and haw all you like about how the anti-miscegenation people had the Bible all wrong while the anti-marriage equality people like you have got it all right, but you've got to understand that just makes me smile and shake my head.

The fact is, I completely see your point. It's a popular view, which I suppose supports the fact that popularity doesn't connote morality.

If there's a God above, he doesn't hate homosexuality. That's my view, and it's my position whether or not it ever becomes the majority view. It's just my prediction that people with your views will be looked at as ignorant a century or two from now.

As someone not constrained by two lines of text, I will tell you that I believe with all of my heart and my brain that homosexuality is not immoral, it's not evil, it's not a sin. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. There's no rational basis to condemn it, either from a legal perspective, a public policy one, or a non-religious moral one. All you have, in condemning it, is the Bible. That's literally all you've got. Two sentences, on which you condemn millions of people who were born a certain way.

You can respond if you like but I've got nothing more to say on this. You unflinchingly believe that God hates homosexuality because of two sentences (which are open to interpretation and/or translation, mind you) in the Bible, and I think that's laugh-out-loud funny, no matter how many people share that view with you. So let's just agree to disagree and talk about UConn basketball instead.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
One more thing: "thus it should not come as a surprise that Christians and Jews consider homos e xual behavior to be unnatural"

Actually, this was surprising to me, since it's false.

"The group with the largest percentage expressing support was practicing Jewish Americans, 83% of whom came out in favor..."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/177877#.VKv9OSvF-hM

(Of course, that's about gay marriage, not the morality of homosexuality, but needless to say, there is a direct correlation.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom