OT - W-o-w Rondo | The Boneyard

OT - W-o-w Rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you saw him playing in game 2 of the Dallas v Houston series it was more than obvious that he was disinterested at best, had quit on the coach/team at worst. Now they've come up with a 'back injury' and declared that he's not only out of the playoffs but will never again don a Maverick uniform. There's been constant talk of Rondo being difficult throughout his career, but this is unprecedented. He was a poor fit for Dallas basketball wise (Rondo needs the ball, Dallas was about passing & spacing), but Rondo somehow made the situation even worse. Rondo basically cost Dallas any chance at winning their first round series. It'll be interesting if Cuban has any candid remarks. As bad as Rondo looks on the court, I'd hazard a guess that he's behaved even worse off it. I can't recall seing anything as blatantly ugly as Rondo's lack of effort in a playoff game.

Rondo has cost himself untold millions by both being an un-coachable jerk and by illustrating that his game and his health have deteriorated.

P.S. Talk about the Boston Fung Wah all you want, but there really wasn't much post-trade Rondo chatter. Given that Rondo is this terrible, this much of a , its amazing that his former employers didn't engage in any post-trade trash talking.

Reaction Score
As a Celtics die-hard,I have a lot of love for Rajon Rondo. When he's on he's legitimately a top 3 point guard in the league. I really believe that.

But he's also a huge jerk, and he's rarely motivated enough to play the way he's capable of playing.

He'll end up as a Laker this offseason (*shudder*) and they'll overpay for him because they do what Kobe tells them to do for some reason.

Reaction Score
As a Celtics die-hard,I have a lot of love for Rajon Rondo. When he's on he's legitimately a top 3 point guard in the league. I really believe that.

But he's also a huge jerk, and he's rarely motivated enough to play the way he's capable of playing.

He'll end up as a Laker this offseason (*shudder*) and they'll overpay for him because they do what Kobe tells them to do for some reason.
I agree in the past tense, he was one of the most entertaining bball players to watch over the past 10 years. At his peak (national TV Rondo) he's only behind LeBron, Steph Curry and maybe 2-3 others in terms of entertainment value. But his on-off switch was disconcerting even in his heyday, now its downright damning.

I think only the Lakers will roll the dice on him and I don't understand how the bball part works with Kobe. Even odds that Rondo is out of the league in 3 years (or simply not playing) and currently I can think of at least 10 PG's I'd rather have quality wise and 20 that I'd rather pay for. Rondo's free throw shooting renders his driving game far less effective, this also kills his end-game abilities, he admits to not trying on defense and he cannot shoot 3's. Add head-case to that and he is on the precipice of not belonging in the NBA at all.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I was completely in Rondo's court, so to speak, and hated to see him go ... but man in hindsight this whole thing is looking like a blessing. His offensive production (or lack thereof) is just a total buzzkill for most teams and seeing Isaiah Thomas run around on the court like a horsefly while putting up 20+ ppg pleases me to no end.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the Knicks throw their hat in the ring for him. The bright lights of NYC and the Garden might be enough to keep him interested, and a core of Rondo and Melo might be enough for Phil to build around.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rondo played well with my beloved Celtics because he and Doc got along so well and Doc let him go as he saw fit.
No way was he going to get into the Maverick system with his type/desire to play the game - as in his person as in his game - lack of control and at times - wreckless abandon.
I'm sure Doc would love him again but not on that team.
The only two fit I see are the Lakers and the Knicks - and maybe just maybe the Bucks but they have Carter-Williams (Kidd is a mirror of Rondo - personality wise)

Reaction Score
Rondo played well with my beloved Celtics because he and Doc got along so well and Doc let him go as he saw fit.
No way was he going to get into the Maverick system with his type/desire to play the game - as in his person as in his game - lack of control and at times - wreckless abandon.
I'm sure Doc would love him again but not on that team.
The only two fit I see are the Lakers and the Knicks - and maybe just maybe the Bucks but they have Carter-Williams (Kidd is a mirror of Rondo - personality wise)
Ummm, he didn't exactly get along with Doc Rivers so well. Doc thought Rondo was a total pain in the .

Reaction Score
I'd like to see the Knicks throw their hat in the ring for him. The bright lights of NYC and the Garden might be enough to keep him interested, and a core of Rondo and Melo might be enough for Phil to build around.
Noooooooooooooooooo
If they do sign him it will be same old Knicks. One bad signing after another.

Reaction Score

Whenever you end a sentence with "might be enough to keep him interested," you're probably not a player worth doling out cash for. 'Melo and Rondo together would be high comedy.

Reaction Score
Whenever you end a sentence with "might be enough to keep him interested," you're probably not a player worth doling out cash for. 'Melo and Rondo together would be high comedy.
I'm not saying they should offer him a max deal, but the cap ceiling is rising and if they can get him for a reasonable deal I think they should go for it.

I think Rondo and Melo could work. Rondo is one of the few point guards in the league who actually prefers to be a distributor rather than a scorer. That fits Melo's game.

Reaction Score
Not too many teams are looking for a malcontent point guard who has no jump shot and shoots 30% from the ft line, his behavior in Dallas is disgraceful.

Reaction Score
I think Rondo and Melo could work. Rondo is one of the few point guards in the league who actually prefers to be a distributor rather than a scorer. That fits Melo's game.

Well, I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I don't see it this way. To me, if a guy like Rondo is going to succeed, he's going to be surrounded by a bunch of spot-up shooters who are content to allow him to run the offense. KG, Pierce, and Allen were three of the best jump shooters in the game, and they were at a stage in their careers where there usage rates were on the way down. Add Boston's elite defense to the mix, and you can see why it was a formula that worked.

I don't see that being the case in NYC. Melo is a scorer, yes, but he's also a scorer who needs the ball, a lot. You're not going to station him in the corner while Rondo runs the show.

Reaction Score
RT: @dandakich Why would Rondo not be investigated for fixing games? Didn't play didn't try..why wouldn't the Feds look into?

wow dan dakich is off his freaking rocker. rondo played ten minutes, how can he possibly throw a game.

Reaction Score

how does that fit his game?? melos elite at basically one thing, scoring in isolation. its not like he gets the ball after running around screens or in transition, any pg in the league could 'get him the ball' (i.e. throw it to him on the wing or in the high post). and any pg next to melo should be a knockdown shooter for when he draws attention...rondos the worst shooter in the league. seems like an awful fit

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
RT: @dandakich Why would Rondo not be investigated for fixing games? Didn't play didn't try..why wouldn't the Feds look into?

wow dan dakich is off his freaking rocker. rondo played ten minutes, how can he possibly throw a game.

Dakich is frequently off his rocker.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's not the same player. The last injury killed his explosiveness. That, and his increasing fear of shooting FTs, prevents him from taking it strong. And obviously he can't shoot. The trade never made much sense for Dallas, since Ellis needs the ball in his hands. But it has turned into a full-blown disaster for them. (Meanwhile, Crowder has been a nice surprise for the C's.)

I was always pro-Rondo (meaning I thought he could form the core of another title team, as opposed to the anti-Rondo folks who thought his lack of an outside shot would always doom the team -- no matter that he'd won a title in 2008, nearly missed out on another through no fault of his own, and carried 2 other teams to deep playoff runs), but by the time the Celts traded him I was of the opinion that his best days were behind him. Yes, his interest level varies and affects his performance, but his physical skills are simply not what they were. He's toast. He was always a difficult personality, but one the right coach could work with given his skills. Who wants him now? I really do hope Kobe gets his way and the Lakers sign him. What a nightmare that would be for them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, I've been wrong plenty of times before, but I don't see it this way. To me, if a guy like Rondo is going to succeed, he's going to be surrounded by a bunch of spot-up shooters who are content to allow him to run the offense. KG, Pierce, and Allen were three of the best jump shooters in the game, and they were at a stage in their careers where there usage rates were on the way down. Add Boston's elite defense to the mix, and you can see why it was a formula that worked.

I don't see that being the case in NYC. Melo is a scorer, yes, but he's also a scorer who needs the ball, a lot. You're not going to station him in the corner while Rondo runs the show.

Exactly right, IMO. And it boggles my mind that Kobe reportedly wants Rondo. They'd kill each other.

Reaction Score
He's not the same player. The last injury killed his explosiveness. That, and his increasing fear of shooting FTs, prevents him from taking it strong. And obviously he can't shoot. The trade never made much sense for Dallas, since Ellis needs the ball in his hands. But it has turned into a full-blown disaster for them. (Meanwhile, Crowder has been a nice surprise for the C's.)

I was always pro-Rondo (meaning I thought he could form the core of another title team, as opposed to the anti-Rondo folks who thought his lack of an outside shot would always doom the team -- no matter that he'd won a title in 2008, nearly missed out on another through no fault of his own, and carried 2 other teams to deep playoff runs), but by the time the Celts traded him I was of the opinion that his best days were behind him. Yes, his interest level varies and affects his performance, but his physical skills are simply not what they were. He's toast. He was always a difficult personality, but one the right coach could work with given his skills. Who wants him now? I really do hope Kobe gets his way and the Lakers sign him. What a nightmare that would be for them.
Kobe and Rondo together would be hilarious to watch, talk about a disaster.

Reaction Score
Rondo is the furthest thing imaginable from a "triangle" PG, I can't imagine Phil & the Knicks pursuing him. Plus they just spent a year getting rid of all of their locker room cancers like JR Smith.

Guess it'll be a good barometer to see if they are the "same old Knicks".

Reaction Score

Probably right, and I cant wait to see the flare ups between Rondo and Kobe. I could actually see on court arguments and Rondo being bought out mid-year when Kobe has had enough and they arent a contender anyways, to go join who though? the rockets?

Reaction Score
Probably right, and I cant wait to see the flare ups between Rondo and Kobe. I could actually see on court arguments and Rondo being bought out mid-year when Kobe has had enough and they arent a contender anyways, to go join who though? the rockets?

Kobe would whoop his .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox