OT: Valentine's Day Gifts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Valentine's Day Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In 4 hours and 5 minutes it will be exactly 28 years ago today that I was at a party in Danbury and first saw a girl who was 15 at the time. She was from out of town, but came in for the weekend. It took every atom of courage I had to talk to her, me being the horribly shy type, but she responded positively, which I desperately needed. Talked to her the whole evening, until I had to go. Next day, a bunch of kids who had stayed over the host's house went to see a movie at the Palace on main street. I went with them. We sat down and filled a row. A few minutes later, that girl walked in, looked at the full row, pouted just perceptibly, and let out a little sigh, then sat by herself in the row in front of us. Once again, I mustered my courage, figured the hell with it, it was now or never, and like a grunt storming Normandy beach, I mustered my courage against a massive wall of fear, got up and sat next to her. She smiled broadly at me. By half way through the movie I held her hand. I called her a few days later. There has not been a day since that we haven't spoken, I don't believe.

She's working right now, putting her generous heart to work. I'm making Jamaican goat curry for her for when she gets home. We've been through thick and thin, times - when we were dirt poor and I smoked the rent money, also when we had enough money to smoke the money. Bunch of kids, parented together, through fear, anger, remorse, self doubt. Built a house together. Built businesses together. Discussed every topic ever to cross our minds, and never have been bored or disinterested. Been my best friend and lover for going on a quarter century.

What do I do for my wife on Valentine's day?

Whatever she wants. The only question I've had for a long time now about the afterlife is whether I'll be able to be with her there so we can always be together.

So wait.....you were 35 at the party.....so that makes you..... :)

Kidding aside, wishing you continued good fortune.....

Reaction Score
This thread helped, and hurt at the same time. Strummer's story was sincerely a love story………

All in all thanks to everyone for assisting in the decision:

Got a shovel (with wheels) for the wife and edible undies for the girlfriend…….win-win!!;)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I read this thread (no names or details) to my Valentine . . . after the card I made, the yellow roses I bought, the crab cakes on greens and asparagus she cooked, and the boxed chocolates from her son that substituted for the mousse that wasn't not be due to egg malfunction. My agreeing to host her 3 year old granddaughter (who by then was soundly asleep) gave son and daughter-in-law a rare romantic night out together and was lauded as my best gift of all. Best for me is having someone for whom I don't at all mind falling for the manufactured holiday hype, and who doesn't require it either but enjoys 'playing along' too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom