OT: US Tennis Open: The old vs. the ancient. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: US Tennis Open: The old vs. the ancient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
2 cuties playing each other... #pova #woz

the screaming never bothered me, I understand if you're striking a object thats coming at you 75mph and you trying to place it in a certain area... its gonna take some moaning and groaning.

almost like boxers when they throw jabs

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc said:
2 cuties playing each other... #pova #woz the screaming never bothered me, I understand if you're striking a object thats coming at you 75mph and you trying to place it in a certain area... its gonna take some moaning and groaning. almost like boxers when they throw jabs

To quote Johnny Mac, "You CANNOT be serious...!!!"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
doesnt bother me... gotta be a reason why they're do it or they wouldnt

19 shot rally... screamed every return lol

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tennis a washout but is about continue now, as Roger is in set one following a 3 hour break.

Way back in '97, 2 teens met for the championship, Martina Hingis getting by Venus, a 17 yr old on her biggest stage.
Then 2 years later, it's the baby sis who grabs the 1st Major, with Hingis the victim.

So what?...just that Martina (with Flavia Penetta) is alive in doubles yet, just like the sisters.
I would enjoy seeing that match up at this open, some 17 years after a Hingis first met a Williams.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Roger took a 142 mph serve yesterday and returned it at 147 (according to his interviewer) and didn't make a sound. Damn if I can see how it would help. Maybe in karate, but tennis?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sharapova is very nice to look at, but the only way I can watch her is with the sound off. Am I the only one who is bothered by the mindless screaming of her and so many otherplayers? Is it really necessary? Is it either encouraged or discouraged by the authorities? Players used to seem to get by just fine without it, before Monica.
well, I don't care what she looks like, but her screaming makes me nutz. I, too turn down the sound.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Roger took a 142 mph serve yesterday and returned it at 147 (according to his interviewer) and didn't make a sound. Damn if I can see how it would help. Maybe in karate, but tennis?

I am dubious that a ground stroke can exceed a serve's speed.

Anyway, as has been so since the last ice age, only an American named Williams gets to play this far along in a Major, men or women.
You can see Serena about 1pm. She gets Kaia Kanepi from tiny Estonia.
I see no reference to the sisters playing doubles on Monday.

Jingoism aside, the late afternoon has Jo Willie Tsonga vs. Andy Murray. It's heavyweight time.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
A factoid...Caroline Woznizcki held the #1 ranking in 2011 & 12, and fans know she did this without ever winning a Major.
She faded but is back, playing very strongly. Her training has included preparation for autumn's NY Marathon.
For you night owls she takes on Sara Errani, who got past Venus. Sara covers ground very well and is really steady and an "A" at the net.
That match could start at 9: 30, 10:30, 11...who knows.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The Woz annihilates Sara while I slept. Sara chalks up just one game. Will Caroline finally win a Major?
Serena is on tap for the 1st night match vs. Flavia Penetta. (My heritage suggests I root for the Italiana;).)
Heavyweights Novak & Murray complete the evening.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Gael Monfils: The Frenchman is the most athletic, acrobatic, crowd-pleasing guy with a racket in his hand we ever did see.
Obviously his #20 ranking is too modest for his current play, now in the last quarter.
(Key ominous music) Tonight about 8:30 he takes on Roger, who will not be thinking about his 2 sets of twins.

Serena did not let Flavia have more than 5 games. Serena next gets Makarova, half of the team that knocked out the sisters in doubles.
Think Serena is not drooling over this opportunity for revenge?

It is not unusual in a Major for someone to come out of nowhere to reach a semi, then never be heard from again.
This time an unseeded Chinese, Shuai Peng, has earned a spot vs. The Woz. To be more complete in announcing her, it's not exactly out of nowhere, cause the 28 year old has been #1 in doubles. All the ladies are on tap Saturday.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is Serena the only female that doesn't store balls under her outfit, Venus as well?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
is Serena the only female that doesn't store balls under her outfit, Venus as well?
That's a good question. I noticed it last night when i watched Azarenka vs Makarova.

I do not know why but Azarenka's shrieks really bug me. I think part of it is she abruptly stops the wail if the ball goes into the net. Clearly it's not a grunt to help her get "power" into the shot... I'm so glad Makarova beat her. I watched their demeanor and it was interesting - when Mak needed to pump herself up, she'd turn her back to Azarenka and do a fist pump - sort of subtle. When Azarenka would do it, she made sure Makarova was facing her and seemed to be really trying to play mind games. I guess she needs to do whatever it takes since her game is not what it used to be, but she just bugs me... lol...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
how about when Serena yells "come onnnnn" after a big winner... while staring down her opponent with the clentched fist!

I love it lol

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Gael Monfils: The Frenchman is the most athletic, acrobatic, crowd-pleasing guy with a racket in his hand we ever did see.
Obviously his #20 ranking is too modest for his current play, now in the last quarter.
(Key ominous music) Tonight about 8:30 he takes on Roger, who will not be thinking about his 2 sets of twins.

Monfils is giving Roger a game. he leads two sets to three and they are on serve in the fourth, up 5-4 with Roger serving..

Personally I don't think that he should be allowed to wear a shirt that is the same color as the tennis balls. Just sayin....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Federer fights off two match points and we are at 5 all in the fourth.
The crowd has woken up

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Monfils is a bit of an actor, I must say.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
wow - talk about a major break in concentration...Monfils double faults his way (x 2) into getting his service game broken, and Roger mows him over in the last game and wins the set.

It's 4-6 3-6 6-4 7-7 going into the fifth

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I must say...that Ralph Lauren Polo logo should be much LARGER, don't you think?
not

:D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
2-1, Federer up a break and about to serve

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Roger breaks him again in a love game, up 4 - 1 in the fifth!
Malfils looks gassed...but he is a little bit of an actor....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
5 - 1 Federer.....Monfils has just given up...he is not even competing.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
5 - 2, Federer serving for the win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads