OT: UNC leaders to get report Wednesday on academic scandal | The Boneyard

OT: UNC leaders to get report Wednesday on academic scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UNC and Syracuse will both get off without a postseason ban. They'll lose a couple of scholarships for a couple of years each, and that will be that.

Reaction Score
UNC and Syracuse will both get off without a postseason ban. They'll lose a couple of scholarships for a couple of years each, and that will be that.
As long as they don't win another NC for the next 10-20 years, I'm ok with that. We need keep Cuse at one NC. :cool:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 2m2 minutes ago
UNC: "investigation found no indication of wrongdoing in any academic depts beyond AFAM, no current coaches involved or aware.''

I find this comically unbelievable. 47% enrollment by athletes is a smoking gun for a system of funneling them into the classes. There is no way that such a system does not connect to the athletics programs themselves or at the very least academic advising for athletes. And in that case this is a clear failure to maintain at atmosphere of compliance. They HAVE To go down for this.

Reaction Score
Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 2m2 minutes ago
UNC: "investigation found no indication of wrongdoing in any academic depts beyond AFAM, no current coaches involved or aware.''

I find this comically unbelievable. 47% enrollment by athletes is a smoking gun for a system of funneling them into the classes. There is no way that such a system does not connect to the athletics programs themselves or at the very least academic advising for athletes. And in that case this is a clear failure to maintain at atmosphere of compliance. They HAVE To go down for this.

This report was always going to be a whitewash. The last time they did this the governor sent an ex-UNC player to investigate. The Chancellor is not going to blast the governor who has vested interests in UNC sports.

Reaction Score
The irony is that te APR system will probably motivate many schools to to do this sort of thing (albeit not this blatantly) just to avoid a postseason ban.

Reaction Score
What if only 2-3 key players on the 2009 championship team stayed eligible from taking these "paper" classes? I think that the banner comes down.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What if only 2-3 key players on the 2009 championship team stayed eligible from taking these "paper" classes? I think that the banner comes down.

They'll never look into that. Ever. They'll be no vacating.

Reaction Score
They'll never look into that. Ever. They'll be no vacating.
I think you are wrong. Bubba Cunningham the athletics director was just quoted as saying that if people were played who were not eligible they could have to vacate wins. He probably knows right now who it kept on the floor.

Reaction Score
Suggestion that the fraud was so widespread it was not done for the benefit of the 50% who were athletes is beyond absurd. Things like this are not cooked up by professors in a vacuum or for a bunch of random students. Let's risk my career to keeps some jocks eligible even though the university is against it? People knew things were being "taken care of" whether Emmert's marionettes care to find out or not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think you are wrong. Bubba Cunningham the athletics director was just quoted as saying that if people were played who were not eligible they could have to vacate wins. He probably knows right now who it kept on the floor.

Yeah, I was kind of being facetious. I still don't think the punishment will remotely fit the crime though.

Reaction Score
If Unc gets off the hook you better believe Cuse is getting off the hook. No way they punish Cuse and let Unc down easy after comparing the two programs issues

Reaction Score
If Unc gets off the hook you better believe Cuse is getting off the hook. No way they punish Cuse and let Unc down easy after comparing the two programs issues

Yeah, but UNC's cheating was available for regular students. Cuse cheating was just for the basketball players. Cuse should get 5x the UNC penalty on that basis alone.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Suggestion that the fraud was so widespread it was not done for the benefit of the 50% who were athletes is beyond absurd. Things like this are not cooked up by professors in a vacuum or for a bunch of random students. Let's risk my career to keeps some jocks eligible even though the university is against it? People knew things were being "taken care of" whether Emmert's marionettes care to find out or not.

I agree the AD used these classes specifically to keep otherwise ineligible "students" eligible. But, every college has easy classes and the students who want to find those classes, or instructors, will find them, tell there friends and every semester people will flock to them. Now, none of these will pass people for a single paper written by someone else, or not require any contact with the staff. So, UNC's goose is pretty much cooked in that respect, but the existence of easy classes in of itself isn't that uncommon. I've seen classes where attendance and multiple choice tests comprise the grade, others where a single project is the basis for the grade. You can also rack up elective credits though short session classes, even classes that meet only once or twice. It's also not unusual for athletes to cluster into the same classes. One, they are not there primarily for their education, UNC doesn't have a monopoly on that. Second, there are very real scheduling issues when you are on an athletic team.

I had one independent study course, that the dept allowed me to substitute for a class that everyone, and I mean everyone, hated. The IS syllabus? Design a modification for a piece of testing equipment that the school used for outside paid consulting work. At the end of the day, it was some research, a few meetings, a brief write up and couple of drawings that I handed off to next guys who eventually built and tested the thing. If I'm an athlete, is that special treatment? Or is it an astute understanding of the student handbook?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I agree the AD used these classes specifically to keep otherwise ineligible "students" eligible. But, every college has easy classes and the students who want to find those classes, or instructors, will find them, tell there friends and every semester people will flock to them. Now, none of these will pass people for a single paper written by someone else, or not require any contact with the staff. So, UNC's goose is pretty much cooked in that respect, but the existence of easy classes in of itself isn't that uncommon. I've seen classes where attendance and multiple choice tests comprise the grade, others where a single project is the basis for the grade. You can also rack up elective credits though short session classes, even classes that meet only once or twice. It's also not unusual for athletes to cluster into the same classes. One, they are not there primarily for their education, UNC doesn't have a monopoly on that. Second, there are very real scheduling issues when you are on an athletic team.

I had one independent study course, that the dept allowed me to substitute for a class that everyone, and I mean everyone, hated. The IS syllabus? Design a modification for a piece of testing equipment that the school used for outside paid consulting work. At the end of the day, it was some research, a few meetings, a brief write up and couple of drawings that I handed off to next guys who eventually built and tested the thing. If I'm an athlete, is that special treatment? Or is it an astute understanding of the student handbook?
They changed grades for athletes, sometimes without the instructors knowing, and in other cases let the graders know what was needed to keep kids eligible. They didn't do that for normal students.

I haven't paid close attention, but the few things I did see are pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom