OT - UConn seeks another national championship, Polo | The Boneyard

OT - UConn seeks another national championship, Polo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this; but, give this guys and girls credit. Limited, if any scholarship money, most teams are clubs and therefore the participants pay their own way, no TV contracts, no coaches making millions a year, no care about conference realignment, and teams use the home team's horses to reduce costs and to avoid stressing the horses. Yet, 8 teams (4 men, 4 women) are meeting in Storrs this weekend for the Polo national championship.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-college-polo-20150409-story.html

And, of course, go Huskies as the ladies go for there 8th national title. Impressive.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Back in the 1970's UConn was one of the top indoor polo clubs in the country. Won the national championship several times.

I watched them play at the Ox Ridge Hunt Club many years ago. You can order cocktails, right there in the "sky box".....Remarkably civilized!

Reaction Score
All I want to know is is Shabazz Neighpier playing?

733.gif

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wasn't sure where to put this; but, give this guys and girls credit. Limited, if any scholarship money, most teams are clubs and therefore the participants pay their own way, no TV contracts, no coaches making millions a year, no care about conference realignment, and teams use the home team's horses to reduce costs and to avoid stressing the horses. Yet, 8 teams (4 men, 4 women) are meeting in Storrs this weekend for the Polo national championship.

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-uconn-college-polo-20150409-story.html

And, of course, go Huskies as the ladies go for there 8th national title. Impressive.

Being from East Campus, I have always kept an eye on the Polo team. It's an area that we've been a dominant force in, yet most people don't know it. Good post here, Conehead. They definitely deserve the recognition!!!

Reaction Score
Unfortunately - Cornell defeated the University of Connecticut 19-17 last night and will play UVA for the Championship tomorrow morning.

Still...

Reaction Score
Cornell may have beat us in horses but we are taking their best basketball player so there.

Reaction Score
My brother roomed with some dude who came from like Brazil to polo.
Thats all I got on this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unacceptable.

Eat 'n horses.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Unacceptable.

Eat 'n horses.

Yeah. When our own horses won't even give us a break, then you know we're not ready for a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
Buncha polo noobs here.

In college polo, home teams provide the horses and they exchange after every chukka, so the home team doesn't give itself home horse advantage.

pj

Reaction Score
Buncha polo noobs here.

In college polo, home teams provide the horses and they exchange after every chukka, so the home team doesn't give itself home horse advantage.

Yes. This was the system that enabled the famous "dying nag" betting scandal of 1919. The home school took dying nags before the first chukka, and fell far behind. At that time only the scores were transmitted by telegraph to Vegas. As the odds shifted at the first chukka, an agent of the school placed a million dollar bet on the home team. When the horses were switched, the home team had the good stallions, while the visitor's horses were dying from exhaustion on the field. It was a huge payoff.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I just read a page of this........good god it's been a long off season

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm really impressed UConn made that video clip. Go marketing/media department! They've really stepped up their game.

Reaction Score
I just found out why Rutgers is in the B1G. It all makes sense now. The had the vision to combine two great sports, football and polo, into a single, head scratching event. If only UConn had such visionary leadership maybe UConn would be in the B1G today, too :cool:

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — The only horse ever to be penalized in a college football game has died.

Rutgers University says Lord Nelson was 42, or the human equivalent of 126 years.

One of Lord Nelson's duties during his 37-year Rutgers career was carrying the school's Scarlet Knight mascot during football games. It was against Army in 1994 that Lord Nelson was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct he broke free and raced down the sideline at Giants Stadium.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/rut...-penalized-in-college-football-game-1.1309344

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
One has UConn and its outstanding Polo teams and then there is Rutgers which managed to somehow combine football and horses into yet another athletic department head scratcher.

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. — The only horse ever to be penalized in a college football game has died.

Rutgers University says Lord Nelson was 42, or the human equivalent of 126 years.

One of Lord Nelson's duties during his 37-year Rutgers career was carrying the school's Scarlet Knight mascot during football games. It was against Army in 1994 that Lord Nelson was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct he broke free and raced down the sideline at Giants Stadium.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/rutgers-mascot-mount-lord-nelson-dies-at-42-only-horse-ever-penalized-in-college-football-game-1.1309344

As little as I like or respect Rutgers....That horse needs to be inducted into the college football hall of fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom