OT: uconn admission process | The Boneyard

OT: uconn admission process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So my oldest is a senior in high school and had his heart set on going to Uconn.. He got accepted to the wtby branch but not the main campus. I feel bad for the kid , it's the only school of the 10 he applied to that he didn't get accepted..financial aid and all that stuff is still pending so I'm not sure I can swing the tuition anyhow, but I want to give him a shot at what he wants if I can do it. When I went to the open house they told me there would be like 33, ooo applicants for 3000 open spots for the fresh class of 2016 so I knew going in it wasn't guaranteed, but the business side of me didn't believe it. Hard to believe the demand is so strong. Heard other crap like out of staters come first because of better tuition, have to take certain amount of minority, ect
Do I have any options? Can I call admissions?
Anybody ever go through anything like this and have any luck?

Reaction Score
How badly does he want to go to Storrs?

I know of students who did very well at the main campus who talked themselves out of the branch and into Storrs. They did the calling/meeting, not the 'rents. They convinced the admissions staff that they belonged at Storrs. They had a dream and were relentless.

As an aside, there are students, for whom it is better to start at the branch. They get up to speed, but the transition to the main campus is still a big one. Academics, from the beginning, is all about the student taking responsibility for his/her own learning. No test 'review' the day before. No do-overs or extra credit. Ya pays ya dime and ya takes ya chances.

Kind of like big-time hoops: you have to learn to play at the DI level. The students, in regard to academics, have the requisite innate intelligence, memory and ability to analyse and synthesize, but they have to raise their game in order to succeed, and while working hard is important, most consistently successful students learn to learn differently. They develop systems to insure they understand and remember the info on which they will be tested.

Reaction Score
My daughter attends UConn and her roommate's brother did not get into the Storrs campus. Rather than commute to one of the branches, he enrolled at Eastern Ct. (right down the road from Storrs) and tranfered after 1 semester.

May not work for everyone, but worth a shot.

Reaction Score
My daughter attends UConn and her roommate's brother did not get into the Storrs campus. Rather than commute to one of the branches, he enrolled at Eastern Ct. (right down the road from Storrs) and tranfered after 1 semester.

May not work for everyone, but worth a shot.

Definitely worth a shot. The transition is still there, not just for frosh, but transfers, even grad students if they do not have experience with a DI state university.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
If after he tries to get to Storrs, they say no (its a right now decision not a permanent decision) Usually they will allow a transfer from the branch after 1,2,3 or 4 semesters. The branch is very cheap comparatively so it may actually fit your budget for him to start there and transfer up. My wife went to Stamford branch for a year and a half and I have an accountant working for me that transferred up after 2 years.

As a CPA, when college costs are discussed I always add the option of starting at the branch. The degree will still say UConn and you save more than $20,000 a year.

My understanding is last year there were over 36,000 apps for 3,000 slots.

Reaction Score
So my oldest is a senior in high school and had his heart set on going to Uconn.. He got accepted to the wtby branch but not the main campus. I feel bad for the kid , it's the only school of the 10 he applied to that he didn't get accepted..financial aid and all that stuff is still pending so I'm not sure I can swing the tuition anyhow, but I want to give him a shot at what he wants if I can do it. When I went to the open house they told me there would be like 33, ooo applicants for 3000 open spots for the fresh class of 2016 so I knew going in it wasn't guaranteed, but the business side of me didn't believe it. Hard to believe the demand is so strong. Heard other crap like out of staters come first because of better tuition, have to take certain amount of minority, ect

I hear that he-- and you-- are disappointed right now, which is understandable; what I would be interested in hearing (as a teacher of mostly high school seniors) where else he did get accepted. That list might prove really helpful for you both as the basis for discussion as to his options and whatever (wherever) else could become a really good fit. I always tell my students that this one choice may not be theirs, but that whatever happens thereafter is up to them.

It might be that UConn isn't a good fit (even though he had his heart set on it), but the choices he does have are good fits. Sometimes the best option isn't getting UConn to change its mind, but helping your son see that he can change his perspective.

Hope this can remove the sting a little bit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If he really wants to go to Storrs, talk to the folks there and find out the best route: Waterbury and then move up or start elsewhere and transfer? For those kids who are qualified--it sounds as if he is--institutions like it when kids really prefer that school and want to be there (sort of Geno's view). He will need to work hard and get strong grades to transfer. The college record becomes more important than the high school record.

My son was admitted by 7 of the 8 schools where he applied. I think he was as upset about missing at Brown as he was happy over getting into the other 7 (most of which were in the top 25). As a Brown grad, I was concerned about the cost there. He chose Rice and loved it. I think it was his first choice all along. Rejection in any form is hard to deal with.

Best wishes to both of you!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno has a few scholarship that he doesn't use... call him on his cell phone, if he can get it outta his pocket

Reaction Score
How badly does he want to go to Storrs?

I know of students who did very well at the main campus who talked themselves out of the branch and into Storrs. They did the calling/meeting, not the 'rents. They convinced the admissions staff that they belonged at Storrs. They had a dream and were relentless.

As an aside, there are students, for whom it is better to start at the branch. They get up to speed, but the transition to the main campus is still a big one. Academics, from the beginning, is all about the student taking responsibility for his/her own learning. No test 'review' the day before. No do-overs or extra credit. Ya pays ya dime and ya takes ya chances.

Kind of like big-time hoops: you have to learn to play at the DI level. The students, in regard to academics, have the requisite innate intelligence, memory and ability to analyse and synthesize, but they have to raise their game in order to succeed, and while working hard is important, most consistently successful students learn to learn differently. They develop systems to insure they understand and remember the info on which they will be tested.
Do you have a branchfer experience?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have no idea about Uconn, but I know some schools also look at where a kid has applied and if they aren't what a kid likely has as a first choice, when it comes down to them or another kid who they are clearly the top choice for, will give the slot to that kid. Again, badgering the admissions folks (respectfully!) is not a bad idea. They accept students based on a formula for how many will actually attend, so they have some wiggle room and possibly more than they expected as the students they accepted make their choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom