OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: True detective/Ballers/Brink

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
True Detective looked like the back stories from some future AA meeting.

Ballers...no interest. Might watch it once more and if it's no better, that's that.

Brink - kinda silly, but I liked it.

Reaction Score
Anyone see the movie "Inherent Vice"? Just rented it on DVD. Loved it. That's a good PI-cop movie set in LA. Joaquin Phoenix had some amazing scenes it. Then again, the Director was Paul Thomas Anderson, and I don't think the guy has ever made a bad film. Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, The Master, and now this one.

Anyone who can make Adam Sandler into an Oscar-worthy actor has to be a fine director.

There were some amazing one liners in it. The Phoenix-Brolin interaction was great. I thought it was Lebowski meets Boogie Nights, however as incoherent as the vice was inherent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i remember the first season of true detective was pretty slow, wouldn't be surprised if it picked up soon. first episode was not great though... favorite scene was when colin farrell told the junkie to be quiet and then proceeded to go maul some dude in his apartment.

ballers... i just don't know. I cant watch the rock as a lead role trying to make hard decisions as an agent, would rather see him kick ass in a dumb movie a la fast furious.
i doubt it catches on like entourage because the cast is meh

Reaction Score
There were some amazing one liners in it. The Phoenix-Brolin interaction was great. I thought it was Lebowski meets Boogie Nights, however as incoherent as the vice was inherent.

The book is great. Not a typical Thomas Pynchon.

Reaction Score
I actually liked True Detective. I think it will all come together in the end.

Ballers is Entourage without the jokes. Maybe I'll warm up to the characters later but the Rock is incredibly boring. The Brink looked pretty good but with three separate story lines like that it seemed a bit too scrambled for a 30 minute comedy.

Reaction Score
Ballers looks really bad, like a lamer version of Entourage and Entourage was petty lame.

Reaction Score
Watched them both last night. Ballers was Entourage with athletes, The Brink was actually pretty good. Think I'll stick with both for the time being

Reaction Score
Watched Ballers last night. I love HBO and I guess since everyone wants to compare it to Entourage, I'll give it a few more episodes, but wow, I thought it was really bad. The Rock's acting was horrible and his white financial manager boss/counterpart was even worse. I have the feeling we're just going to run through every cliche sports/agent stereotype imaginable. The trophy wife, the sleazy agents, the volatile player, the hard edged coach. It was like a cartoon, only saved somewhat by a couple hot naked chicks.

Reaction Score
Watched Ballers last night. I love HBO and I guess since everyone wants to compare it to Entourage, I'll give it a few more episodes, but wow, I thought it was really bad. The Rock's acting was horrible and his white financial manager boss/counterpart was even worse. I have the feeling we're just going to run through every cliche sports/agent stereotype imaginable. The trophy wife, the sleazy agents, the volatile player, the hard edged coach. It was like a cartoon, only saved somewhat by a couple hot naked chicks.

Sign me up! Sounds Great.

Reaction Score
True Detective looked like the back stories from some future AA meeting.

Ballers...no interest. Might watch it once more and if it's no better, that's that.

Brink - kinda silly, but I liked it.
I was as big fan of the first season of True Detective. This second season is off to a suspect start. It was filled with trite character development. I like Rachel McAdams, and the majority of the cast to that to that matter, but her character is the typical tough minded female police detective with daddy issues, as someone already pointed out. Her character reminded me of the agent in the TV Show, In Plain Sight. Vince Vaughn's character and the whole corrupt politician and mod crowd he hangs with seemed so cliche. Collin Farrell's over-the-top, out-of-control drunk, angry, and victimized (due to some tragic event that happened to his wife) character, seemed also cliche.

The only thing I really liked about the first episode was how the primary characters all came together, albeit predictable. I was about to explain what that was, but I'll avoid being spoiler here, even though it's a few days past the unavailing of the first installment for season II. Since I enjoyed the first season, I'll give this one a chance, but so far it lacks the unpredictable and highly interwoven plot of the first season that gripped me from the first to last episode.

TV in general the past month or so has been dreadfully lacking. A few shows are starting up, but so far, it's starting t look like a good time to enjoy the summer and watch less TV. Maybe I'll do some binge watching on some series that I've heard a lot about but have yet to watch.

On a completely unrelated note, I just watched the King's Men the other day. I saw it at the movies, but my Son bought me the Blu-ray. The scene in the church goes down as one of my favorite 10 minutes of mayhem. Rarely do I get an adrenaline rush from a movie scene. Applying the song Free Bird to that scene was pure genius...but I digress.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was as big fan of the first season of True Detective. This second season is off to a suspect start....

I rewatched the original recently - I had forgotten just how good it was.

I would call the second season's start 'crowded'....it seems like there's an awful lot of misery spread out wide.

It starts off with Vince Vaughn struggle to act like he's drinking from a coffee mug. Watch it again - he has been acting in clown shows for so long that he had trouble acting like a person who is having coffee. Then Rachel McAdams shows up apparently miffed that her boyfriend wouldn't drill her in the ass. And then Colin Farrell, the guy whose career ending in John Carter and the Russian guy from those funny cable commercials....there's a lot of balls in the air.

With so many characters, there's a lot of exposition to cover, so I guess a slow start is to be expected.

I'll watch again next Sunday and hope for better. It got a little kooky with the Weekend at Bernie's moment at the end, so we'll see.

Reaction Score
Season 1 of "True Detective" is now largely remembered as a study in character development, thanks to what was, IMHO, an uninspired ending, along with some unfortunate comments by Pizzolatto to the effect that the story was only a vehicle used to provide insight into the characters. However, if you remember back to the middle of the season, what had everyone talking was the thread of the occult which ran through the story: the ritualistic murders; the stick figures; the creepy scenery; the references to Cardosa and the Yellow King; and the scary thought that somewhere out there was some omnipotent entity that controlled everything. As it turns out, that was all just one big red herring. However, for me, it was the story that made the show compelling, and the characters were just the icing on the cake. There are literally thousands of movies about character development that nobody has ever heard about. People don't tune in week after week, and disect each episode the next day at work because of great character interaction. People get sucked in by a good story. After one episode, the characters in Season 2 seem to be a little too manufactured, and the storyline a bit convoluted and not too interesting. Hopefully, it picks up soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I liked the first episode of Ballers, but I think it has some major problems. I disagree with those that say the whole show is a cliché. Other than Any Given Sunday, there have not been too many football shows/movies that gave this kind of depth to the major characters. My issue is that the characters have too much depth. I am going to have trouble following complicated back stories of 15 characters in a 30 minute dramedy.

I also think going dramedy is a mistake. Shameless pulls it off, it has an hour to work with, and it is one of the best shows on television. After that, good dramedies are really, really rare, and I can't think of any that are 30 minutes long. I hope the show sticks to the laughs, because otherwise it will be a one season show.

Reaction Score
True Detective will keep me coming back. Great acting, decent writing. First episodes are tough with so much going on. Some random relationships are too much to believe, though. Ballers will get viewers but Dwayne Johnson acts like a rock. He can't carry this show past a season or two. Brink was entertaining. Tim Robbins is super. If Jack Black can keep from chewing the scenery they may have a big winner.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I watched both Brink and Ballers last night. Both were good enough to earn a second episode, but Brink was more entertaining. I never got into True Detective last season, so now that there is a second, I'll binge watch the Harrelson/McConaughey season before I get into season 2. I never watched Entourage either. So at some point before the movie, I'll go back and watch that. HBO GO is awesome...

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My God - Brink sucks so bad it's worthless. Ballers is good enough to keep watching. I decided to watch the first season of True Detective before watching the second season and the first season is seriously good. Way better than The Wire that so many of you recommended.

But the Brink - holy cow - worst thing I've seen on HBO ever.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I like them all....Ballers...Brink....and True Detective.

Though True Detective is a bit hard to follow.....a lot going on. Can't see it matching season one, which was excellent....

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I like them all....Ballers...Brink....and True Detective.

Though True Detective is a bit hard to follow.....a lot going on. Can't see it matching season one, which was excellent....

Reaction Score
So my original opinion of The Brink the first time I watched it was "meh." However, I went back and watched the pilot a 2nd time along with episode 2 and the more I watch the better it gets. Tim Robbins character is hilarious.

Reaction Score
I like Brink after all myself. Tim Robbins is excellent and it's pretty entertaining. Would like to see more of Carla Gugino though. ;)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I was away for a bit, so I start to catch up last night with the second episode of True Detective. I don't even get through the prior episode recap before I realize that I have no idea what is going on and I probably have to start over.

Brink is a little frantic, which makes the episodes inconsistent, but overall I like it.

Ballers is turning into exactly what I thought it would be, which is a fun, mindless, decent show. The boat party was completely predictable, and very Entouragey.

Reaction Score
Ballers: I'm up to current and the 3rd episode was the best one yet. I am hoping there's a little more grit or story coming with some of the groundwork they're laying: Rock's pill popping, the pics of the guy doing blow off strippers, the boss cannot be happy about what they did to his boat, Rock's personal financial situation, etc. I'll still watch if it's just mindless stuff, but I hope it gets a little deeper.

True Detective: I finally watched the season 2 premier. Thought Colin Farrell was awesome. There's a lot of story hanging and flapping in the wind, as expected, but it was a lot better than the initial reviews I heard.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was away for a bit, so I start to catch up last night with the second episode of True Detective. I don't even get through the prior episode recap before I realize that I have no idea what is going on and I probably have to start over.

I just watched the third episode.

At this point, I don't remember any character's name, Vince Vaughn's tics are wearing thin and I can't even remember which crime they're investigating.

Reaction Score
I just watched the third episode.

At this point, I don't remember any character's name, Vince Vaughn's tics are wearing thin and I can't even remember which crime they're investigating.
I have no clue what's going on and Vince Vaughn's beat down of the giant Mexican guy in the strip club basement was so hard to believe, as soon as he took off his jacket and started hopping around I started laughing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom