OT: This is why no one should play for Jim Boeheim | The Boneyard

OT: This is why no one should play for Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Or having any desire to learn how to play basketball in the 21st century.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ennis is a good offensive point guard. Is there tape on him from high school? His defense cannot be evaluated based on his year at Syracuse. the 2-3 Zone is not a heavily utilized tool in the NBA.

pj

Reaction Score
Don't get it. Nothing Boeheim said is wrong. If Ennis were playing for a coach who would prepare him for the NBA, like KO, he'd benefit by staying another year.

caw

Reaction Score
My guess is that he's trying to keep Grant now. Sending a message to him.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, I don't think that clip warrants the headline that Deadspin gave it. Was mostly praise with some concern sprinkled in there.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Don't get it. Nothing Boeheim said is wrong. If Ennis were playing for a coach who would prepare him for the NBA, like KO, he'd benefit by staying another year.

I think it is fine to say all of this stuff to the kid & his family. Now that the kid has made his decision what is the point of saying anything to the media other than "He is a great player"? Who wants to play for a coach that is going to publicly question your decision on when its time to go or stay? It was clear before this that Boeheim wanted Ennis to stay another year - he said so publicly. He didn't get his way and now he is whining about it.

I guess the other part of this is that Deadspin has been ripping on Boeheim lately about how he doesn't have his players best interests in mind. They are going to jump on anything that points to their theory that he doesn't give a crap about his players.

Reaction Score
The nose-picker might be correct, but that's not the point. The kid is a lottery pick, you go on TV and talk about him being a future all star once he gets into an NBA strength program and is playing, lifting, and watching film all year long rather than having to worry about the demands of school.

Compare that to what Calhoun said about Thabeet. Who obviously wasn't strong enough and not yet ready to play in the NBA when he was the 2nd overall pick.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2009/04/thabeet-enters-nba-draft.html

"Hasheem is more than ready to make the move to the next level," coach Jim Calhoun said. "He has been one of the most dominant defensive players in the history of college basketball and I am certain that where ever he ends up in the NBA, he is ready to be equally successful. He is a special player and even more special as a person. He will truly be remembered as one of the great players in UConn history, not only for his accomplishments, but also because of the type of person he is."

Even Jim had to know that first line wasn't true.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The nose-picker might be correct, but that's not the point. The kid is a lottery pick, you go on TV and talk about him being a future all star once he gets into an NBA strength program and is playing, lifting, and watching film all year long rather than having to worry about the demands of school.

Compare that to what Calhoun said about Thabeet. Who obviously wasn't strong enough and not yet ready to play in the NBA when he was the 2nd overall pick.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/2009/04/thabeet-enters-nba-draft.html

"Hasheem is more than ready to make the move to the next level," coach Jim Calhoun said. "He has been one of the most dominant defensive players in the history of college basketball and I am certain that where ever he ends up in the NBA, he is ready to be equally successful. He is a special player and even more special as a person. He will truly be remembered as one of the great players in UConn history, not only for his accomplishments, but also because of the type of person he is."

Even Jim had to know that first line wasn't true.

Gotta disagree with you there. Hasheem had nothing left to get out of college. If he was going to be a good to grat NBA player, it would've happened by now.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree with you there. Hasheem had nothing left to get out of college. If he was going to be a good to grat NBA player, it would've happened by now.

I agree, but that wasn't really my point. Jim promoted Hasheem because he was going to be a lottery pick. Whether he really believed what he said about Thabeet being ready and being a future defensive player of the year in the NBA like he was in college is what I'm talking about.

Calhoun has always done a great job making sure they talk to everyone they can to find out where a player is likely to be drafted, and then making sure the player makes the best decision possible with the information available. Then he supports that decision to the fullest. The nose-picker is more worried about himself.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree, but that wasn't really my point. Jim promoted Hasheem because he was going to be a lottery pick. Whether he really believed what he said about Thabeet being ready and being a future defensive player of the year in the NBA like he was in college is what I'm talking about.

Calhoun has always done a great job making sure they talk to everyone they can to find out where a player is likely to be drafted, and then making sure the player makes the best decision possible with the information available. Then he supports that decision to the fullest. The nose-picker is more worried about himself.

I agree with that point, but disagree with the last sentence you wrote in your last post. "Even Jim had to know that first line wasn't true." Hasheem was defensive POY in the entire country and won the co-Big East POY. I don't think anyone thought Hasheem hadn't gotten everything out of college that he possibly could have; what else did he have to accomplish?

I think the better example would be to look at when Andre Drummond declared for the draft. He clearly could have gotten more out of college, but he was a guaranteed lottery pick. Here's Jim's quote there:

"Andre is a developing player with unlimited potential and his projected position in the draft is as good as almost any player I've ever had," UConn coach Jim Calhoun said. "Very few players get such a tremendous opportunity, and he's got to take advantage of it."

Nothing short of full support for his guy.

Reaction Score
Since it seems like you agree with my point, I'll take your continued focus on Thabeet as arguing just to argue. ;)

Reaction Score
Jesus Deadspin has so many lame, reaching articles. That site is good for catching up on funny/wacky things happening in the sports world but their writers are BRUTAL. Seems like every article I see posted by Tom Ley (whoever the hell that is) is akin to something a grade-schooler would publish.

Boeheim said nothing wrong. Tried to damage Ennis' career? He was very complimentary of Ennis and said he just needs to get himself in a better place physically. WTF is wrong with that?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Jesus Deadspin has so many lame, reaching articles. That site is good for catching up on funny/wacky things happening in the sports world but their writers are BRUTAL. Seems like every article I see posted by Tom Ley (whoever the hell that is) is akin to something a grade-schooler would publish.

Boeheim said nothing wrong. Tried to damage Ennis' career? He was very complimentary of Ennis and said he just needs to get himself in a better place physically. WTF is wrong with that?

Where is your blind hatred of all things Syracuse??

Reaction Score
The comments themselves are almost a nothing.... i think the headline could read boheim kind of a dick. I'll say this if the problem for ennis is getting stronger physically i think he'd benefit more from going to the nba working on his body everyday with professionals and getting payed millions doing it then returning to college.

Reactions: pj

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Deadspin is a typical garbage Gawker site - take something that isn't a big deal and put a huge blazing headline on it.

pj

Reaction Score
The comments themselves are almost a nothing.... i think the headline could read boheim kind of a . I'll say this if the problem for ennis is getting stronger physically i think he'd benefit more from going to the nba working on his body everyday with professionals and getting payed millions doing it then returning to college.

Exactly. And it's not like the NBA doesn't have scouts and workouts which enable them to evaluate players and their physical readiness. Nothing Boeheim says about his physical conditioning will affect NBA evaluations. If Boeheim said he had bad character or was a bad teammate or didn't listen to coaching, that could hurt him. He didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom