OT: Things to do in Nashville? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Things to do in Nashville?

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UofMemphis said:
Yeah, that's crazy talk to me... From the 'old guard' of Memphis music: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Isaac Hayes, and Aretha Franklin (and many others) To the 'new guard' of Memphis music: Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, and Yo Gotti (and many others) Memphis is steeped in musical diversity.
There are more incredible musicians per square inch in Nashville than any place on gods green earth. You can walk into any dive bar on a Tuesday night and see the best in the world for next to nothing.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are more incredible musicians per square inch in Nashville than any place on gods green earth. You can walk into any dive bar on a Tuesday night and see the best in the world for next to nothing.

That's the best part. I actually got to see Willy Nelson at a small dive bar in Nashville. He just popped by to jam that night. Unfortunately, I was so drunk, I don't remember the name of the bar, nor the vast majority of his set. But I was there dammit!

My two favorite shows from my Nashville years were both held in a small dive near Vanderbilt: Ian Moore and Robert Earl Keen.

Last edited:

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

Well, I've actually lived in both places...and youre wrong...but if you like it there, more power to ya.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
That's the best part. I actually got to see Willy Nelson at a small dive bar in Nashville. He just popped by to jam that night. Unfortunately, I was so drunk, I don't remember the name of the bar, nor the vast majority of his set. But I was there dammit!

My two favorite shows from my Nashville years were both held in a small dive near Vanderbilt: Ian Moore and Robert Earl Keen.

My dad plays 3 nights a week on Beale at Blues City Cafe...one night after the Foo Fighters played FedExForum Dave Grohl popped in a played a set with them...He was a really nice, down to earth dude...great range, could play/sing almost anything.

I'll never 'get' Nashville, but I guess some dig the country shtick

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'll never 'get' Nashville, but I guess some dig the country shtick

Music wise though, Nashville is not about country exclusively anymore, as I'm sure you know.

August_West

Reaction Score
UofMemphis said:
Well, I've actually lived in both places...and youre wrong...but if you like it there, more power to ya.
Ha, Ya, no I'm not. And it has nothing to do with whether I like Nashville as a city. I'm a professional musician for the better part of 27 years. The highest concentration of pros in the world is in Nashville, followed by LA and New York . It's simply where the work is because of all the studios . It's not even up for debate and I'm not trying to be a , it's just a fact. All those highly accomplished studio musicians need to do something at night if they are not touring or recording so they all show up at local clubs and let loose. The worst pro player in Nashville runs absolute circles around me. It is the most competitive environment imaginable. I know guys who are surviving in NYC who were chewed up in Nashville. Should tell you something.

August_West

Reaction Score
UofMemphis said:
Yeah, that's crazy talk to me... From the 'old guard' of Memphis music: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Isaac Hayes, and Aretha Franklin (and many others) To the 'new guard' of Memphis music: Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, and Yo Gotti (and many others) Memphis is steeped in musical diversity.

Yikes.

I wouldn't use that " new guard" as an example of Memphis' musical diversity.

I like all kind of music so in actually familiar with who you are name dropping here. That is a list of suck if I ever saw one. Rick Ross? I just spit out my beer.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
^

lol, We're a third generation music family, and youre simply wrong...sorry...

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Yikes.

I wouldn't use that " new guard" as an example of Memphis' musical diversity.

I like all kind of music so in actually familiar with who you are name dropping here. That is a list of suck if I ever saw one. Rick Ross? I just spit out my beer.

If you don't like groups that win everything from grammys' to academy awards...that's on you.

August_West

Reaction Score

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Oh, goodie...a list. (And a flawed one at that)

It is important to point out that we are measuring the concentration of musicians and music-related businesses, not the vibrancy or impact or quality of artists to emerge from a regional scene.

I mean damn, they use myspace...so it must be accurate,

Ongoing MPI research is utilizing other unique data sources, including a huge amount of data culled from MySpace, to measure the diversity and richness of music scenes

August_West

Reaction Score
UofMemphis said:
Oh, goodie...a list. (And a flawed one at that) I mean damn, they use myspace...so it must be accurate,

Yeah, it's entirely based on MySpace data.

Reading comprehension?

Reaction Score
UofMempjhis, I love the hometown pride but saying Memphis is a better music city than Nashville is laughable and it gets even more embarrassing when you bring up people like Rick Ross and Yo Gotti to prove your point.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll try to stay out the verbal dispute between West and UofMemphis, but as a professional musician, Nashville is the place right now and has been for a while. Nashville is more than just country too.

While visiting, take the trolley ride around Nashville first to get your bearings. All of the major landmarks/ attractions will be pointed out to you.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is a must as is the Grand Ole Opry.

As to food, there are a lot of "honky-tonks" on Broadway that have decent food and live music all day & night. We ate in a few when we visited in March. Never had a bad meal. There is also a great place in the old railroad station, can't remember the name. But the food was great and I got to visit with my best friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 45 years!

Enjoy your visit.

August_West

Reaction Score
huskeynut said:
I'll try to stay out the verbal dispute between West and UofMemphis, but as a professional musician, Nashville is the place right now and has been for a while. Nashville is more than just country too. While visiting, take the trolley ride around Nashville first to get your bearings. All of the major landmarks/ attractions will be pointed out to you. The Country Music Hall of Fame is a must as is the Grand Ole Opry. As to food, there are a lot of "honky-tonks" on Broadway that have decent food and live music all day & night. We ate in a few when we visited in March. Never had a bad meal. There is also a great place in the old railroad station, can't remember the name. But the food was great and I got to visit with my best friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 45 years! Enjoy your visit.

My end of the dispute is over , to quote
Joe Walsh ( I know that he is no Yo Gotti, but he'll have to do) " you can't argue with a sick mind"

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Nothing gets a Memphian more angry than Nashville talk...just sayin'

Reaction Score
From Big Al Anderson's Bio:

"Presently, you might find Al performing around Music City with his Nashville-based combo,Whitey, which also includes Jeffrey Steele, guitarist Scott Baggett, bassist Glenn Worf, keyboardist Reese Wynans and drummer Chad Cromwell. With any luck we'll see a new release by the group in the near future"

Al may have lost a lot of weight, but he's still Big Al.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As to food, there are a lot of "honky-tonks" on Broadway that have decent food and live music all day & night. We ate in a few when we visited in March. Never had a bad meal. There is also a great place in the old railroad station, can't remember the name. But the food was great and I got to visit with my best friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 45 years!

Much better food elsewhere though. OP should definitely ask around when he/she gets there.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
From Big Al Anderson's Bio:

"Presently, you might find Al performing around Music City with his Nashville-based combo,Whitey, which also includes Jeffrey Steele, guitarist Scott Baggett, bassist Glenn Worf, keyboardist Reese Wynans and drummer Chad Cromwell. With any luck we'll see a new release by the group in the near future"

Al may have lost a lot of weight, but he's still Big Al.

Big Al Anderson and The Balls.

Is that the best band name in the world? It might be.

Gold Jerry. Gold.

Reaction Score
Nothing gets a Memphian more angry than Nashville talk...just sayin'
I never new the rivalry existed.
But then again some in Ct blame the lack of Support from The New Haven area(possibly the hockey epicenter of Ct) for the demise of the Hartford Whalers
Just because their name had Hartford in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom