OT: Things to do in Nashville? | The Boneyard

OT: Things to do in Nashville?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a business trip in a few weeks to Nashville on a Thursday and Friday and I'm going to stay the weekend. I've never been there before, but I've heard its a fun city. I'm not at all a country music fan. I love BBQ. Anyone have any tips for where to go, what to see, where to eat, where to stay etc etc? Thanks.

Reaction Score
I have a business trip in a few weeks to Nashville on a Thursday and Friday and I'm going to stay the weekend. I've never been there before, but I've heard its a fun city. I'm not at all a country music fan. I love BBQ. Anyone have any tips for where to go, what to see, where to eat, where to stay etc etc? Thanks.

You don't need to be a country music fan. If you walk down the strip, it's just bar after bar of live music of all different genres. A few years ago, I went on "tour" with my old band, and we played a couple of shows there. Easily the coolest music city I've ever been too. Just hit the strip and go with your instincts. It's impossible to get bored, and there's great food everywhere. Nashville is basically impossible to screw up.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

you don't go to Nashville for BBQ...

Country Music Hall of Fame, and the Grand Ole Opry are kinda cool...you see one of the show 'American Pickers' stores in the downtown area...I'm not a big fan of Nashville, though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

It's a solid 45 minutes SW of Nashville but it was worth the trip. I took some fried chicken to go on the way out from breakfast.

Reaction Score
After a few pops and a night out you just might warm up to the music

Reaction Score
I took many people to Nashville though the years
Broadway is pretty neat . Tootsies is a landmark.
Plus their are a number of other dives .all with someone playing for tips
Most people will enjoy the Opryland Hotel on Briley Parkway . Not downtown
Adjacent to the New Grand Ole Opry.

It's incredible. Google it to get an idea of what it's like.
Andrew Jackson's house is interesting . Plus The Parthenon is kind of cool.

Reaction Score
Great fun city. As said above, just go bar to bar for great live music. Bring your drinking shoes...

Reaction Score
John Daniels and Meth?

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why people like Nashville...give me New Orleans or Memphis ANY day.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll never understand why people like Nashville...give me New Orleans or Memphis ANY day.

Maybe because Nashville is actually nice? Memphis is kinda dumpy at this stage of the game. It does have it's sweet spots (bbq), but Nashville offers far more.

Went to school in Nashville, so my info is dated, but for BBQ:

-I don't like too many of the joints downtown, even if they have a famous name (eg Jack's).

-15 minutes outside of downtown: Whitt's BBQ is a good old school bbq house
http://www.whittsbarbecue.com/

-25 minutes from Downtown: Martin's BBQ is top notch
http://martinsbbqjoint.com/

-Sunday Cafeteria style BBQ: Swett's - old school artery clogging soul food.
http://swettsrestaurant.com/

-Close to Vanderbilt: South Street - maybe not as top quality bbq as others, slightly more upscale as far as bbq joints go, but has a nice atmosphere and good food.
http://www.pansouth.net/southstreet/

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
^ If you say so...I lived in Nashville 7 months to help open the Apple Store at Green Hills mall.

I was never so happy to leave a city...Memphis and New Orleans have soul...something Nashville sorely lacks.

they try to buy Memphis' music heritage and move it there...I always found that "cute"

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/thrill-gone-legendary-house-blues-studio-d-moves-n

Yeah, but the music scene in Nashville is amazing (in terms of the number of bands, the different types of music, and the groups who come through). It's much less diverse in Memphis. You've got the NHL, the NFL, the downtown scene, etc. Vandy area is really nice. I don't care about the Grand Old Opry or anything ike that.

I prefer New Orleans to both, though I haven't been down there since before Katrina.

Reaction Score
I've been to both Nashville and New Orleans on Final Four trips with the UConn women. I'd love to go back to both these musical places, as there is just so much to do in both places.

Reaction Score
If you are a history buff you have the Civil War Battle of Franklin about 20 minutes south of Nashville. I would recommend the Carter House or Carnton Plantation as the 2 best Civil War places.

For other history you have The Hermitage which is Andrew Jackson's home.

I wouldn't chase after BBQ in Nashville, but the city is becoming a foodie paradise. Several great restaurants is the Gulch area near downtown. The Gulch is also a great mightlife area without the huge country music spin.

Reaction Score
The Ryman Auditorium is a great place to tour.
Plus it's a short walk to lower Broadway.
That section went downhill when the the Opry moved over to Brily
But in the 90's with the new arena,country music hall of fame!and the football stadium, lower Broadway and the adjacent streets were reborn. I kind of miss the seedy era.
Never had barbecue in Nashville, I kind of lived in Kentucky where Nashville barbecue is looked down on.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Yeah, but the music scene in Nashville is amazing (in terms of the number of bands, the different types of music, and the groups who come through). It's much less diverse in Memphis. You've got the NHL, the NFL, the downtown scene, etc. Vandy area is really nice. I don't care about the Grand Old Opry or anything ike that.

I prefer New Orleans to both, though I haven't been down there since before Katrina.

Yeah, that's crazy talk to me...

From the 'old guard' of Memphis music: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Isaac Hayes, and Aretha Franklin (and many others)

To the 'new guard' of Memphis music: Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, and Yo Gotti (and many others)

Memphis is steeped in musical diversity.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's crazy talk to me...

From the 'old guard' of Memphis music: Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Isaac Hayes, and Aretha Franklin (and many others)

To the 'new guard' of Memphis music: Justin Timberlake, Three 6 Mafia, Rick Ross, and Yo Gotti (and many others)

Memphis is steeped in musical diversity.

I meant in general. Pro Sports teams, etc.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Well, Memphis has the NBA (Memphis Grizzlies)

au-fedex-forum.jpg

AAA Baseball (Memphis Redbirds)

autozone_4100.jpg

And minor league hockey (Memphis Riverkings)

http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1912_Lander's_Center_Inside.jpg

But college sports are huge in Memphis with: Memphis, Ole Miss, and Ark State within 80 miles of the city.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, Memphis has the NBA (Memphis Grizzlies)

au-fedex-forum.jpg

AAA Baseball (Memphis Redbirds)

autozone_4100.jpg

And minor league hockey (Memphis Riverkings)

http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1912_Lander's_Center_Inside.jpg

But college sports are huge in Memphis with: Memphis, Ole Miss, and Ark State within 80 miles of the city.

Yeah I know, I should have said multiple big 4 Pro Sports. I've found, having lived in Nashville, and been to Memphis a number of times, that there was more to do in Nashville. And found it to be a nicer city. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with Memphis mind you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't bother with the Grand Ol Opry. It's time much better spent elsewhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't bother with the Grand Ol Opry. It's time much better spent elsewhere.

Agreed that it's a Rushmore/Statue of Liberty disappointment, BUT you may want to experience it for yourself to verify the "meh" factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom