OT: The Tiger Effect | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Tiger Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the final round, and I never watch non majors or the bigger golf tournaments.

Reaction Score
Golf is a strange sport
As of a couple of years ago
Arnold Palmer was the third leading money earner
After Tiger and Phil
He hasn't played a competitive round in 50 years.
Tiger can continue to move the needle well after his prime.
As in many regards he had a similar effect on golf as Arnie.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not a golf fan but I don't get it. It's like watching a fallen Lebron in D league while the NBA playoffs are going on. No one would do that. Is it that golf w/o Tiger is boring?
Tiger doesn't even have the charisma of Arnie. Maybe a mystique?
The infatuation amazes me.

Reaction Score
Not a golf fan but I don't get it. It's like watching a fallen Lebron in D league while the NBA playoffs are going on. No one would do that. Is it that golf w/o Tiger is boring?

I don't get your analogy. You don't have to give up watching other golfers to watch Tiger. It's not like he's on a different tour.

He was the player of the year 2 years ago and then missed a year from injury. It's intriguing to see if he can win again.

Reaction Score
Also, I guess people don't always realize that there are people who are fans of golfers the way they are fans of teams. I was a kid growing up and learning to play golf as Tiger appeared on the scene and I ride the rollercoaster of his performance just as much as during any UConn season.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And the verdict is....................Tiger is still the man who can draw 'em to the tube.

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/aug/24/tiger-woods-pga-tour-wyndha-tv-ratings-2015/

Third-round coverage (3.2 rating) on CBS received a 220 percent increase from 2014, and Sunday coverage (3.9 rating) was boosted by 160 percent, year over year, according to the network. Woods, who was playing the event for the first time, was two shots back heading into Sunday's final round.

The 3.2 overnight rating for the Wyndham Championship's third round equaled the 2015 PGA Championship's third-round overnight rating and beat out the British Open (2.6) and U.S. Open (2.8), according to Sports Media Watch. Each of those ratings, however, pales in comparison to the 2015 Masters' 5.8 third-round rating.

The Wyndham's rating was the highest for a non-major event since the 2013 Players Championship, which Woods won.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Golf is a strange sport
As of a couple of years ago
Arnold Palmer was the third leading money earner
After Tiger and Phil
He hasn't played a competitive round in 50 years.
Tiger can continue to move the needle well after his prime.
As in many regards he had a similar effect on golf as Arnie.
I'm not sure where you got the Arnie stat, but it's not close.

If you go by absolute numbers, he earned $2,130,239 on the PGA tour. The current 100 place earnings person is Jay Haas at $14,440,317. Tiger by the way is at $110,061,012 and obviously first.

If you take his career from 1955 to 1993 (years he earned money on the PGA Tour) and adjust for inflation and use sorta middle of his career 1968 (about the middle of his dominance) , he earned about 13.1M on the tour in 2015 money. Still not top 100.

If you take his total earnings in any paying event, pga, senior pga, European tour, and use 1970 (which is very conservative) he earned a total of $6,924,319 and if you put that into the inflation calculator it equates to 42.6M in 2015 dollars. That moves him way up on the all time to number 6 vs the top PGA earners, but they have earned money on other tours and theirs is not adjusted for inflation.

Bottom line, Arnie was not the top 3 earner even 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
At this point Tiger is the Trump of the tour.

Shouldn't be taken seriously but the press and the crowds can't get enough.

Bad analogy. Trump never had political relevance, until now. Most will tell you it will end soon (most thought it would be over by now). Tiger was golf for over a decade. Watching Trump is watching to see if the bar drunk can rise to be a king. Watching Tiger is watching to see if the King can rise again.

Reaction Score
This is clear

Reaction Score

If you go by absolute numbers, he earned $2,130,239 on the PGA tour. The current 100 place earnings person is Jay Haas at $14,440,317. Tiger by the way is at $110,061,012 and obviously first.

If you take his career from 1955 to 1993 (years he earned money on the PGA Tour) and adjust for inflation and use sorta middle of his career 1968 (about the middle of his dominance) , he earned about 13.1M on the tour in 2015 money. Still not top 100.

If you take his total earnings in any paying event, pga, senior pga, European tour, and use 1970 (which is very conservative) he earned a total of $6,924,319 and if you put that into the inflation calculator it equates to 42.6M in 2015 dollars. That moves him way up on the all time to number 6 vs the top PGA earners, but they have earned money on other tours and theirs is not adjusted for inflation.

First of all I never used the word winnings. Comparing winnings now to winnings then is actually stupid. You can win a million dollars today on tour.and struggle to hold your card. You can win more money today than the top players then did for their careers ,in one year without ever winning a tournament. The second place finishers in the last couple of tournaments made over $700,000.
I suspect your a bean counter based on your adept use of meaningless comparative numbers. Inflation is almost laughable. Apples to Oranges
What moron would believe the 2015 NCAA BB earnings compared to 1965 earns are a function of inflation. Our the P5 or NFL deals for that matter.
I suggest a more appropriate way to monetize winnings would be by taking the current worth of his 62 wins and finishes including 7 majors. I suspect the value would be significantly more than you project ,but even that's is actually irrelevant to my post.

My post was based on money from all golf related sources*in year 2011,. Arnie earned something like $36,000,000. In 2011.

*My source was from Golf Digest.they consider stuff like endorsements,licenses,and personal appearances golf related.

Reaction Score
Why would you act like it's a surprise that a legend of golf with endorsements and other business projects out the wazoo is still earning a lot of money?

Your surprise made it seem like you were talking about money earned directly from golf.

No one is surprised that any sports legend can earn lots of money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

He may be including endsorsements. I don't have exact numbers but Palmer was earning $10M+ for 30 or more years from all his endorsements. Plus, he was an initial investor in the Golf Channel and recently (within the past five years) got the Arnold Palmer drink licensing.

In short, Palmer's career golf earnings are a rounding error on his net worth.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A little more on Arnie.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/02/27/the-highest-paid-retired-athletes/

Arnold Palmer ranks second with earnings of $40 million last year. Palmer won $1.9 million in career prize money on the PGA Tour and the last of his 62 PGA Tour victories in 1973, but 2013 was his most successful year ever from an earnings standpoint. The Arnold Palmer line of drinks is a $200 million business and represents roughly 25% of revenues for AriZona Beverage Co. Palmer’s golf course design work is limited relative to some of his contemporaries, but he has built an empire by licensing his name, particularly in Asia. There are 400 freestanding stores in Asia that bear his name and sell apparel and leather goods. IMG puts together an annual conference in Asia for as many as 50 Palmer licensees that draws 250 delegates.

Or....................

At 84, Palmer has a net worth of around $675 million. His endorsements include Callaway, Ketel One, and Rolex. The Arnold Palmer Design Company has created hundreds of golf courses and Palmer himself owns Latrobe Country Club in his Pennsylvania hometown and Bay Hill Club and Lodge in Orlando. There's also Arnold Palmer Motors, Arnold Palmer's Restaurant, Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children, and Arnold Palmer Prostate Center.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sort of off the topic, but I pulled up the top 100 earners on the tour and there are some interesting things on there. 1st thing that stood out is that Furyk (65M) is $17 million better than Ernie Els (48M) even though he has 3 fewer majors and 2 fewer PGA wins. Tiger is $33 million higher than Phil. $33 million by itself puts you at 17 all time. Shows how dominant Tiger was. Spieth who just turned 22 last month has already earned $18.5 million - 4 years from his sophomore year in college and he can comfortably retire. For reference, Rickie Fowler and David Duval have only earned 330K more in their career and he's already passed names like Henrik Stenson, Jason Duffner, Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter.

Reaction Score
At this stage, I don't think Rory moves the needle at all in terms of ratings on US television - neither does Jordan.

If it's a major, big names on the leaderboard will always help the Sunday broadcast, but if either of those two are near the top of the leaderboard today, I don't think anyone changes their schedule to watch.
Spieth is absolutely a big draw in the US these days. If he wasn't during the Masters, he was during the US Open.

He was the big name in the John Deere Classic this year, a week before The Open. And, lo and behold,

http://kwqc.com/2015/07/14/tv-ratings-more-than-double-for-this-years-john-deere-classic/

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sort of off the topic, but I pulled up the top 100 earners on the tour and there are some interesting things on there. 1st thing that stood out is that Furyk (65M) is $17 million better than Ernie Els (48M) even though he has 3 fewer majors and 2 fewer PGA wins. Tiger is $33 million higher than Phil. $33 million by itself puts you at 17 all time. Shows how dominant Tiger was. Spieth who just turned 22 last month has already earned $18.5 million - 4 years from his sophomore year in college and he can comfortably retire. For reference, Rickie Fowler and David Duval have only earned 330K more in their career and he's already passed names like Henrik Stenson, Jason Duffner, Lee Westwood and Ian Poulter.

there are some interesting things on the list. Surprised at how high Adam Scott is all-time already. Thing with Els is that he hasn't always played a full PGA schedule unlike Furyk. Plenty of those Asian and European events were paying Els big bucks in appearance fees. Els is one of those players whose world wide fame is bigger than Furyk and has probably made more money world wide but it doesn't reflect on PGA earnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom