OT: The Dark Knight Rises | The Boneyard

OT: The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apologies in advance, if there is/was already a thread on this.

I missed the ten minute prequel of this movie that aired before the IMAX version of the latest "Mission Impossible", mainly because I was stuck in the boondocks of southeast Turkey. I heard it was pretty good but the villain was hard to understand.

This is probably the most anticipated movie for me. The three Batman movies directed by Christopher Nolan are probably the best of the comic book flicks. Christopher Nolan doesn't make bad movies, "Memento", "The Prestige", "Inception" and the first two installments of the Batman trilogy were all great.

I have a really measured expectation with this one. I swore I would not read a review, but I already broke that oath. Even without reading the review I was certain that it would be hard to top the "The Dark Knight". Heath Ledger's performance is simply irreplaceable. So I am not expected something to top that, but we can expect some closure, some typical Christopher Nolanesque minding bending plot twists and some great one liners.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was awesome. Tremendous close to the trilogy. Don't read about it, just go.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Awesome flick, watched it last night. And get this halfway through the movie this dude gets up and leaves out the emergency exit, but props the door open and comes back in (just like in Co). It ended up being nothing but I was slightly leaning behind this rather big girl who had been sitting next to me, just in case something were to happen I had some cover ;)

Reaction Score
I want to see it, but it's freakin 2 hours plus long, my attention span will get to me, I'll probably end up waiting for dvd.

Bain looks tiny, should have put the guy in a muscle suit or cgi'd him.

Reaction Score
Saw it.

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Just go and see it. :) (IMO)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want to see it, but it's freakin 2 hours plus long, my attention span will get to me, I'll probably end up waiting for dvd.

Bain looks tiny, should have put the guy in a muscle suit or cgi'd him.

The payoff is so great you want to see it before the spoilers leak out. Bain is plenty big enough.

Reaction Score
Unlike the few who have posted above, I was extremely disappointed with this movie; Overhyped and unwatchable. almost, but not quite in the realm of Star Wars I and The Blair Witch Project. No plot, weak story line, seemingly unrelated side issues, weak explanations to sinister motivations, and a very weak attempt at setting us up for the sequel.

Reaction Score
Apologies in advance, if there is/was already a thread on this.

I missed the ten minute prequel of this movie that aired before the IMAX version of the latest "Mission Impossible", mainly because I was stuck in the boondocks of southeast Turkey. I heard it was pretty good but the villain was hard to understand.

This is probably the most anticipated movie for me. The three Batman movies directed by Christopher Nolan are probably the best of the comic book flicks. Christopher Nolan doesn't make bad movies, "Memento", "The Prestige", "Inception" and the first two installments of the Batman trilogy were all great.

I have a really measured expectation with this one. I swore I would not read a review, but I already broke that oath. Even without reading the review I was certain that it would be hard to top the "The Dark Knight". Heath Ledger's performance is simply irreplaceable. So I am not expected something to top that, but we can expect some closure, some typical Christopher Nolanesque minding bending plot twists and some great one liners.

1. Christopher Nolan struck out swinging with this installment.
2. Even your measured expectation will not be fulfilled.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't know Rex Reed was on the Boneyard

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Nolan loves ambiguity. Memento, Inception .....and Hans Zimmer. Damn he likes the music loud! As with Inception there's too many crescendos (Too many notes herr burgemeister).

I can't imagine anyone who likes Nolan's previous stuff being disappointed unless they were expecting a sudden transformation to Downey's sarcastic and confident take on Tony Stark or anything less than a confused and masochistic Bruce Wayne who withdraws and walks away from fortune and fame and lives in bars, brothels, among monks, and mopes about his mansion when at home as in the first film.. The class warfare thing works OK. Who should Batman be siding with? Anarchists or the wealthy elite who frankly never get around to improving the lot of everyone else? Why protect the 1%?

Trilogies are hard. The last film usually ends up as a self-fulfilling "Meh" for many reasons. Nolan did has usual kitchen sink of underdeveloped side plots leaving people wondering what it all means (for the sequel)

Reaction Score
1. Christopher Nolan struck out swinging with this installment.
2. Even your measured expectation will not be fulfilled.

It comes out in Germany on wed, but I have to spend next week in Italy, so I will have to wait to be disappointed until this weekend. My girlfriend will kill me if I see this without het anyways.

Reaction Score
Every other comic book film has seemed childish to me, with the exception "Watchmen". The Dark Knight series has been in a different league.

Nolan loves ambiguity. Memento, Inception .....and Hans Zimmer. Damn he likes the music loud! As with Inception there's too many crescendos (Too many notes herr burgemeister).

I can't imagine anyone who likes Nolan's previous stuff being disappointed unless they were expecting a sudden transformation to Downey's sarcastic and confident take on Tony Stark or anything less than a confused and masochistic Bruce Wayne who withdraws and walks away from fortune and fame and lives in bars, brothels, among monks, and mopes about his mansion when at home as in the first film.. The class warfare thing works OK. Who should Batman be siding with? Anarchists or the wealthy elite who frankly never get around to improving the lot of everyone else? Why protect the 1%?

Trilogies are hard. The last film usually ends up as a self-fulfilling "Meh" for many reasons. Nolan did has usual kitchen sink of underdeveloped side plots leaving people wondering what it all means (for the sequel)

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Every other comic book film has seemed childish to me, with the exception "Watchmen". The Dark Knight series has been in a different league.

Most are aimed at 12-year-old males .

The graphic novels fare better for adults I think: Watchmen, Sin City, V for Vendetta, The Road to Perdition, The Dark Knight series, From Hell, Hellboy, the Holocaust parts of X-Men and mutants, etc.

Graphics novels are aimed at 16 year olds instead of 12 year olds :).

Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and was entertained throughout, but I will say that I was slightly let down. The movie on its own was very good, but it was a very difficult task trying to live up to The Dark Knight, which was far and away the best "superhero" movie of all-time in my opinion, and just one of my favorite movies overall. On top of that, Christopher Nolan has produced some absolute classics (Dark Knight, Inception, The Prestige, Memento) and I've never seen a film of his that didn't "wow" me. While this film didn't "wow" me, it was still very, very good though I probably went in with expectations too high.

Either way, it is definitely worth seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom