OT: Test #429B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #429B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Josh Grogan finds instant fame on what TV show?

15..The New England mascot, the catamount, is where?

16..A soup label's leap into immortality?

17..IUPUI as a team stands for..?

18.."Take these sunken eyes and learn to see."

19..The remake of "Annie" includes the youngest Oscar nominee ever(?).

20..There's something unseemly at Yale's Med program. What?

21..Whose big band had the 1944 hit "Opus One"?

22..In 1889 Elizabeth Cochrane goes around the world in 72 days. She's better known as..?

23..The Nazis had a starvation program in only one Western European country(?).

24..Before the US invasion of Afghanistan, another country had made mischief there. Who?

25..One NFL division(?) has no winners; another(?) has no losers.

I expect an overall performance akin to the team's beat down of Creighton.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
15. The University of Vermont. Catamount, an old term for mountain lion (cougar, puma, panther, painter, screamer - how many names does one poor kitty need?). The Catamount Tavern was the meeting place and drinking hole of the Green Mountain Boys, back when the Allens, Fays, and Starks were making trouble.
16. Andy Warhol's painting of a can of Campbell's tomato?
18. "Blackbird" by the Beatles - written by Harrison, I think.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
14. America's Got Talent? Or the Voice, but I think the first
15. University of Vermont
16. Andy Warhol's Campbell's Tomato Soup painting
17. Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis
22. Wasn't that some kind of plague or something?
24. The Soviet Union got beat there
25. The NFC South and the AFC North respectively

Reaction Score
16. Andy Warhol painting. Personally, I never saw the reason or the fuss.
17. Indiana-Purdue at Indianapolis.
19. Andrea McArdle
24. The Soviet Union. the US boycotted the 1980 Olympics in protest.
25. NFC South has no winners, NFC West has no losers

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
22. Nelly Bly

Re IUPUI, it used to be UIPUI, pronounced U-E-pew-E, no wonder they changed it. I used to have business trips to Indianapolis. There is also a Fort Wayne branch, the poster who reports scores on the Rutgers board loves to spell out the entire names at least once each season.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
21. Tommy Dorsey
24. England, USSR, others.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
20. Ah yes, Wirechief, you and I both read the New York Times, but we knew that already. The Times has been covering the story of the director of cardiovascular research at Yale Medical School who was accused of sexually harassing a post-doctoral researcher. The researcher is married, but the director kept hitting on her anyway. He was suspended a couple of years ago, but was recently allowed to return to his position, prompting protests by faculty members. Yale has now changed its position and has removed him (permanently, I believe) from the position.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
15. there are Vermont Catamounts.
17. Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, I think the Jags.
18. fly Blackbird fly. Beatles.
19. I can't remember her name (it's long, and I couldn't spell it if I remembered anyway), but I believe it's the girl from that strange film Beasts of the Southern Wild. She did a nice job in that one, but weird film.
24. Well USSR tried it, and failed too. That's why we boycotted 1980 Olympics I believe. Carter's "brilliant" idea.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..No, as a guest for a law firm series. Which?

23..Near the end, these folks, presuming the Brits and Yanks were further along, were premature in turning away from the Reich, so they got punished.

19..Quvenzane ______, yes, Meyers.

Reaction Score
24. Well USSR tried it, and failed too. That's why we boycotted 1980 Olympics I believe. Carter's "brilliant" idea.

Totally agree. A totally weak, totally, useless response. What bothered me even more were the athletes lined up in support of the boycott.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Totally agree. A totally weak, totally, useless response. What bothered me even more were the athletes lined up in support of the boycott.
You mean those athletes who would lose funding by the feds to continue their training if they DIDN'T support it???

Reaction Score
Wirechief is having internet problems and is temporarily unable to post here on The Boneyard. He is working diligently to rectify the issue(s) and will be back monitoring these beloved trivia quizzes as soon as he is able. Please accept his apologies for any delays.

Reaction Score
You mean those athletes who would lose funding by the feds to continue their training if they DIDN'T support it???

The two who come immediately to mind are Muhammed Ali and Bruce Jenner. Jenner, at the time, was hawking Olympus cameras; A gig he would never have had without his Olympic accomplishments in 1976. Then, in 1980, he comes out in support of a policy that would deny other hard training athletes the same opportunities.

The boycott was also on the heels of the controversy generated in the 1968 Olympics when it was heavily intoned that the spirit of the Olympics and the Olympic games themselves should never, ever be politicized.

Reaction Score
Again, posting in behalf of Wirechief who is working hard tor resolve internet issues:

14..Josh had a guest role on Ally McBeal, where he was a Jewish son who did not want a career as a cantor, about which he felt family pressure.
15..U. of Vermont, cited by geordi & meyers. Pinot does his worthwhile embellishment on cats.
16..Yes, Andy Warhol paints endless Campbell labels, which have been studied by VAUC, geordi & that silly ‘ol bear.
17..Several of you throwing around the stinky team.
18..Pinot instructing meyers on feathered friends, like “Blackbird”.
19..Ms. Wallis was a 6-year-old for Beasts of the Southern Wild.
20..You can’t go wrong tuning into rbny’s careful summary of a NY Times article.
21..I can’t break zorro’s fixation with bygone big band sounds. I try to get him into The Notorious B.I.G, but to no avail. Still, it pays him dividends, since he adroitly comes up with Tommy Dorsey.
22..Now, “Wrong Way Plague” could be a correct answer in the next test, but it won’t do here. Knights describes her as Nellie Bly.
23..Netherlands
24..Geordi, among others. Now, you argue that the Olympics shouldn’t be politicized, but that’s what you have done to a question that had NOTHING to do with the Olympics.
Inconsistent hypocrites, I say.
25..Well, if you are interested, see footballers geordi & VAUC.

In closing, you need to show your appreciation to VAUC. Mail him some cranberry sauce and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom