OT: Summer movie thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Summer movie thread

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But with characters like Johnny Utah and Bodhi, how can you not? :rolleyes:
They already tried to remake a Swayze movie and failed magnificently. I couldn't get through half of Red Dawn (Redux) before I got fed up.

I watched one scene of Footloose (In the cafeteria, when they tell Ren that rock music and dancing are against the law), All I had to hear was Ren say, "Jump back," to conclude they basically made the same movie with the exact dialogue. I've only heard, "Jump back," in that context (as in, "Hold on. Wait a minute.") twice in my life and both times were in a movie titled Footloose. I plan to watch Total Recall at some point, but only because I have a weakness for the hotness that is Jessica Biel (Kate Beckinsale is alright too, I suppose). I just haven't yet.

I wonder how many people are aware that there is actually a Road House part 2? Jake Busey is the villain. It is truly awful (and probably why it went straight to video)!! The original movies are all enjoyable, but they also all caught lightning in a bottle. They are truly bad movies. It tells me that Hollywood is full of do-nothing hacks on par with Washington D.C.

Who's waiting with baited breath for the Tango and Cash reboot?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
adam sandler is terrible
Happy Gilmore was hysterical. It's various remakes, less so.

CL82

Reaction Score
They already tried to remake a Swayze movie and failed magnificently. I couldn't get through half of Red Dawn (Redux) before I got fed up.

I watched one scene of Footloose (In the cafeteria, when they tell Ren that rock music and dancing are against the law), All I had to hear was Ren say, "Jump back," to conclude they basically made the same movie with the exact dialogue. I've only heard, "Jump back," in that context (as in, "Hold on. Wait a minute.") twice in my life and both times were in a movie titled Footloose. I plan to watch Total Recall at some point, but only because I have a weakness for the hotness that is Jessica Biel (Kate Beckinsale is alright too, I suppose). I just haven't yet.

I wonder how many people are aware that there is actually a Road House part 2? Jake Busey is the villain. It is truly awful (and probably why it went straight to video)!! The original movies are all enjoyable, but they also all caught lightning in a bottle. They are truly bad movies. It tells me that Hollywood is full of do-nothing hacks on par with Washington D.C.

Who's waiting with baited breath for the Tango and Cash reboot?
There's a Roadhouse 2?...and it is terrible? Roadhouse is delightfully bad. I would put that on my guilty pleasure watch list (...hmm, not a bad idea for a thread) but I can't believe there is a second one that is worse. Now I have got to go find it and watch it, which is kind of a pain but...

"Pain don't hurt."

Husky25

Reaction Score
There's a Roadhouse 2?...and it is terrible? Roadhouse is delightfully bad. I would put that on my guilty pleasure watch list (...hmm, not a bad idea for a thread) but I can't believe there is a second one that is worse. Now I have got to go find it and watch it, which is kind of a pain but...

"Pain don't hurt."
A Thousand Likes to you, Sir.

By the way, "I thought you'd be bigger."

Husky25

Reaction Score
Coming. This fall. To a Drive-In near you...

Cliffhanger II: Hanging from a Cliff

Reaction Score
My buddy and I got dragged to "Hot Pursuit" by the wives last weekend. Figured looking at Sofia Vergara couldn't be all that bad for 90 minutes huh?

Guess again, was being nudged by my wife at about the 50 minute mark (couple of small snores lol) as the only even close to funny parts were all seen on the previews. Awful movie!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My buddy and I got dragged to "Hot Pursuit" by the wives last weekend. Figured looking at Sofia Vergara couldn't be all that bad for 90 minutes huh?

Guess again, was being nudged by my wife at about the 50 minute mark (couple of small snores lol) as the only even close to funny parts were all seen on the previews. Awful movie!
Saw it. It wasn't hilarious by any stretch, but there were some funny parts. I'd give it 2 of 4.

CL82

Reaction Score
When family business becomes deadly...his only job is REVENGE

No Swayze = no Roadhouse. Petoowie, I spit on your faux sequel.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Apparently he dropped out over creative differences. My thought is that he had a difference in opinion that the movie should have even been made.
No Swayze = no Roadhouse. Petoowie, I spit on your faux sequel.

Reaction Score
Seriously?!?!?! There's a Point Break remake?!?!? Has Hollywood officially run out of ideas? Point Break is in the Enjoyably Bad Movie Hall of Fame. There is no reason whatsoever to remake it. None.

They're also making another Conan...and I believe Beverly Hills Cop. With Arnold and Eddie respectively. Should be interesting to see how they utilize the aged actors, especially with Arnold. I suppose if they can nail it with Mad Max, they can do it with both of these two.

Reaction Score
With all the sequels, remakes and of course turning comic books and TV shows into movies, they may be nearing the point where Hollywood has officially run out of ideas for new "stand alone" movies...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
With all the sequels, remakes and of course turning comic books and TV shows into movies, they may be nearing the point where Hollywood has officially run out of ideas for new "stand alone" movies...
Your action movies, your romance movies, etc... they're always going to be a slightly different version of something that came before it. Studios have just realized that it's easier to reboot things and make a ton of money off of nostalgia and a new generation that has never seen the originals.

I guess we should just be tankful that people tend to hate movie remasters. Otherwise we'd see the same thing that's going on in the video game industry.

Reaction Score
Your action movies, your romance movies, etc... they're always going to be a slightly different version of something that came before it. Studios have just realized that it's easier to reboot things and make a ton of money off of nostalgia and a new generation that has never seen the originals.

I guess we should just be tankful that people tend to hate movie remasters. Otherwise we'd see the same thing that's going on in the video game industry.

I remember taking a film class at Uconn and the professor stating something like that there are really only 4 or 5 different basic plotlines. In a way generally humans like what's easy to grasp and they know they already like. That's why I find it refreshing when something like Inception comes along.

Reaction Score

There are definitely some good original works out there. Some that were really profitable as well. There just aren't as many great directors as we would like. And the really good ones aren't manufacturing movies on a Marvel/Disney like timeline. I think that's why I like Christopher Nolan so much. He comes out with something every few years and I always mark it on my calendar. Inception, Interstellar, The Prestige. All good stuff.

I know "The Dark Knight" is a comic book, but he set standard with that movie that will be difficult to beat. I am a sucker for Marvel Movies but they are never satisfying to me, even if they have some real talent working on them.

I love the Coen Brothers movies as well.

Another original idea that was really successful was "Pacific Rim". I really wish he wouldn't make a sequel to that. It was a good one as a stand alone.

Hollywood delving into the comics world was initially something I really liked. Now it just seems lazy to me. They mine the mountains of source material, they already have the concept in story board because talented writers and artists have done the heavy lifting of character development. Occasionally you get the perfect actor to make a mediocre character like Tony Stark something really great, but the end result is something really unexceptional.

Guardians of the Galaxy is interesting to me because it was basically a comic that was based on the movie. In my humble opinion, The new Guardians are almost nothing like the originals. They basically engineered the comic based on the movie concept. So it's basically a comic book movie that was somewhat original, and was actually pretty satisfying.

But in general, the movie industry using comics is brazen laziness, because they know that the vast majority of moviegoers have never read the comic books.

Reaction Score
They're also making another Conan...and I believe Beverly Hills Cop. With Arnold and Eddie respectively. Should be interesting to see how they utilize the aged actors, especially with Arnold. I suppose if they can nail it with Mad Max, they can do it with both of these two.

I see what you are saying, but technically Mad Max: Fury Road isn't a reboot or even a remake. It has the same director so the movie felt authentic and in line with the others stylistically.

I forgot the Mad Max actor's name but he did a good job of playing the character and not trying to be Mel Gibson as Mad Max.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I see what you are saying, but technically Mad Max: Fury Road isn't a reboot or even a remake. It has the same director so the movie felt authentic and in line with the others stylistically.

I forgot the Mad Max actor's name but he did a good job of playing the character and not trying to be Mel Gibson as Mad Max.
Tom Hardy? Haven't seen it yet but I assume he's the main character.

mets1090

Reaction Score
There are definitely some good original works out there. Some that were really profitable as well. There just aren't as many great directors as we would like.
I actually had some stuff typed up about this helping the video game comparison. Just as the vast majority of major video games either suck or are just lazy, movies are the same way. We have to rely on a handful of good studios/developers to create good video games and a handful of awesome film directors to create original films that actually contribute to the advancement of the medium. In the same way I know I can rely on Dog and Rockstar to produce good games, I know I can rely on Nolan, Tarantino, Scorcese, etc. to produce good movies. And just as those game studios tend to focus on one title for like 18 months at a time, those directors don't just spew movies out every year.

I think that 30 years from now, even though this will probably be known as the comic movie era, we'll still have plenty of classic films too because those types of great directors aren't gone. Their output is just vastly outnumbered. And it's always been that way. It's not like 30 years ago most movies were classics. We just only talk about the classics because the rest are forgettable.

Also just as a final defense of Marvel/Disney, while it is easy for them to just churn out these movies because back stories are already written, I don't see it as a bad thing that they are exposing people to comic literature. As long as the quality of the films remains at a high level relative to other action movies, I'm fine with it. They're going to start dipping eventually (a big part of the franchise will die when Robert Downey Jr. decides to take the suit off). I just hope they cut it off soon enough to stop that from diminishing how good they originally were.

Reaction Score
I actually had some stuff typed up about this helping the video game comparison. Just as the vast majority of major video games either suck or are just lazy, movies are the same way. We have to rely on a handful of good studios/developers to create good video games and a handful of awesome film directors to create original films that actually contribute to the advancement of the medium. In the same way I know I can rely on Dog and Rockstar to produce good games, I know I can rely on Nolan, Tarantino, Scorcese, etc. to produce good movies. And just as those game studios tend to focus on one title for like 18 months at a time, those directors don't just spew movies out every year.

I think that 30 years from now, even though this will probably be known as the comic movie era, we'll still have plenty of classic films too because those types of great directors aren't gone. Their output is just vastly outnumbered. And it's always been that way. It's not like 30 years ago most movies were classics. We just only talk about the classics because the rest are forgettable.

Also just as a final defense of Marvel/Disney, while it is easy for them to just churn out these movies because back stories are already written, I don't see it as a bad thing that they are exposing people to comic literature. As long as the quality of the films remains at a high level relative to other action movies, I'm fine with it. They're going to start dipping eventually (a big part of the franchise will die when Robert Downey Jr. decides to take the suit off). I just hope they cut it off soon enough to stop that from diminishing how good they originally were.

I wish Hideo Kojima would make a Metal Gear more than once a decade.

Reaction Score
Or ever again after Phantom Pain.

You don't want him to make them anymore? If someone could figure out how to make MGS into a movie that isn't absurd then I would love to see it.

I don't know what it is about those games. Been hooked since MGS, it's so weird and Japanese but beyond that it's one of the few games that always make you feel like you are playing in a movie. Between the homages to James Bond and the Fistfull of Dollars movies it's just a great series. It's literally the only reason I bought a PS3.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I think I'm actually more disappointed about them continuing the series without him than I am about him not making more.

Reaction Score
I think I'm actually more disappointed about them continuing the series without him than I am about him not making more.

We'll see. It seems like he has given up after every installment. But he always comes back. Just like Revolver Ocelot! haha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom