OT Soccer Loses to Creighton 1 -0 | The Boneyard

OT Soccer Loses to Creighton 1 -0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Went up to watch. We dominated the game especially the second half. They scored with 1:30 left

Their goalie really came up big a couple of times.

Tough weekend.

Reaction Score
Ray Reid has really underachieved, but soccer is one of those sports, because of limited scoring and the role of the goalkeeper, where it is really easy to get upset. Still the amount of times we've had heartbreaks in both the BE and NCAA tournaments is alarming.

You really need to admire the Indiana and UVA teams that won consecutive titles. On the womens side I think UNC is similar to UConn Women where they have been able to stockpile all the talent.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Anyone who understands tournaments, especially in soccer, would say that there is nothing "underachieving" about it. We caught a tough break today, unfortunately. But that's the breaks sometimes. The analogy is like saying that Tom Izzo has underachieved because he hasn't won the whole thing since 2000 (like Ray Reid, in fact), or like saying that Boeheim underachieved at Syracuse because he hasn't won it since 2003. There are plenty of great coaches who win a lot and keep top recruits coming into their programs that get upset in many tournaments through the years. Let's not make the sting of losing in the tourney any more painful than it needs to be. The men had a very very good season, and they get my respect for it.

Anyone who has followed Ray Reid's career from Southern Conn. all the way to UConn would and should know that he hasn't "underachieved" at anything...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You being sarcastic? Constantly losing to teams seeded lower than you is underachieving, no?
Normally 1-0 to boot (no pun untended). Once we get a couple of games into the NCAA tournament, we seem to shut it down against good but lesser opponents and one lapse kills us.

Reaction Score
Anyone who understands tournaments, especially in soccer, would say that there is nothing "underachieving" about it. We caught a tough break today, unfortunately. But that's the breaks sometimes. The analogy is like saying that Tom Izzo has underachieved because he hasn't won the whole thing since 2000 (like Ray Reid, in fact), or like saying that Boeheim underachieved at Syracuse because he hasn't won it since 2003. There are plenty of great coaches who win a lot and keep top recruits coming into their programs that get upset in many tournaments through the years. Let's not make the sting of losing in the tourney any more painful than it needs to be. The men had a very very good season, and they get my respect for it.

Anyone who has followed Ray Reid's career from Southern Conn. all the way to UConn would and should know that he hasn't "underachieved" at anything...

fair enough.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is ray reid included in "everyone". your right he is

#FIREEVERYONE

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Normally 1-0 to boot (no pun untended). Once we get a couple of games into the NCAA tournament, we seem to shut it down against good but lesser opponents and one lapse kills us.

"Lesser opponents"??? Check out the NCAA rankings a couple of weeks ago (I believe these are the regular season final rankings) and tell me how far off Creighton is from UConn?

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/ot-soccer-loses-to-creighton-1-0.29233/#post-422243

By the way, Creighton had just come off a big victory in the tourney against Akron. Do you see where Akron is in the rankings? I know...

Reaction Score
UConn has rarely played as well it was seeded. There have been some huge upsets. So this is no surprise. I actually expected them to gone before this.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn has rarely played as well it was seeded. There have been some huge upsets. So this is no surprise. I actually expected them to gone before this.

With all due respect, you're crazy if you expected Ray Reid to be gone before now. You're equally as crazy if you expect him to be gone after this tourney...

Reaction Score
Sorry, your playing to go to the College Cup at home as a 1 seed in a stadium you didn't lose in all year against a lower seeded team and you lose ALL 3 times this has happened the last 5 seasons (2007, 2011, 2012) each in excruciating fashion, you deserve every bad thing written about you and than some. I know soccer is a lucky sport sometimes but UConn hasnt made it's own luck in an AWFUL lot of situations in the recent postseasons. Losing every penalty kick situation the last couple years, literally handing away the BET last season in Double OT with a careless turnover in their own end, not protecting a 1-0 lead against Charlotte with 10 mins left, and allowing a goal today with 90 secs left? Losing all 3 Elite 8 games the last 5 seasons at home where you haven't lost all year? That isn't bad luck, that is a pattern. A clear pattern of fail in clutch high pressure situations.

And for your info, Tom Izzo has made 4 Final 4's and was Runner Up once since he won it all in 2000 so the comparison to him and Reid is a non starter. A lot of one hit wonders have won National Titles too.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I've coached soccer and I can say, it is probably the sport where the best team doesn't win the most frequently. I can't tell you how many games I've been involved in or watched where one team dominates the other completely and loses. So much depends on luck, the bouce of a ball, a foul in the box resulting in a penalty kick etc.

A tought loss for UCONN. I really thought this was our year after the way last season ended and with such a strong team back.

Reaction Score
Too bad. This team could have went all the way, feel very bad for them, they had a great run this year, sucks.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He's number 38 on the all time wins list for college soccer coaches at all levels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_men's_soccer_coaches_with_350_wins

Anyone who thinks he's the wrong coach for the job is an idiot. He won three DII titles at Southern CT, where he developed players like John DeBrito and Mike Petke, both of whom ended up in the MLS. Bo Oshoniyi also went to the MLS from Southern under Ray Reid, as well as Shawn Boney, Kevin Anderson, John Ball, Christian DaSilva, and Carlos Rocha. You send eight players to the MLS in as many years....FROM A D-II SCHOOL...and people are questioning whether or not you're a good coach???

For those that have at least followed his UConn career, I don't have to tell you how many times he's sent players to the MLS from our school, or how many times our players are mentioned for the Hermann Trophy, the award given to the top college soccer player in the U.S. (this year, Alvarez and Diouf are up for the trophy). He has had O'Brien White and Chris Gbandi both win the trophy (and both went on the MLS obviously) for UConn.

This is probably the last thing that I'll say about Ray Reid though, because I feel like his nay-sayers on this board have probably watched a combined 6 minutes of UConn soccer or any other soccer beyond that, so I'll leave it at that (why raise my blood pressure for nothing)...

Reaction Score
Par for the course this fall, this week. When a win would have been worth its weight in gold for the entire University, soccer shows up with nothing on offense. A theme? Perhaps. When UConn might have been able to stick it to an ACC opponent, once again a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom