OT: Sheds | The Boneyard

OT: Sheds

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I am looking to get a 10 x 14 shed. So far I've only looked online at Kloter Farms in Ellington, and Skips in Agawam. Does anyone have experience with either? Any other suggestions?

One problem is the shed will have to be on the high end as far as looks - it's going in my front/side yard and I'll need my neighbor's ok.

Reaction Score
Mmmm Man Cave................:)

I don't have any knowledge of them at all but I've always like the idea of a little out-building - cabin ...whatever (though you probably just want a place to collect "stuff").

Klotter stuff looks nice in their ad, BTW/

I am looking to get a 10 x 14 shed. So far I've only looked online at Kloter Farms in Ellington, and Skips in Agawam. Does anyone have experience with either? Any other suggestions?

One problem is the shed will have to be on the high end as far as looks - it's going in my front/side yard and I'll need my neighbor's ok.

Reaction Score
Don't overlook the possibility of having one built by a carpenter you know and trust. We were going to buy a 12x16 shed from Walpole Woodworkers and it was such a hassle with all the extra cost add-ons and to the catalog price and long lead time that we asked our carpenter to quote a price. His was half the Walpole price and a week later we had a beautiful sturdy shed. He built it from a photo in the Walpole catalog.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Have you checked with your town building officials regarding placement of the shed? Most towns will require a permit and they may have building code requirements that you will have to meet. They may require an inspection aftert he shed is in place.

From what I have seen most pre built sheds are way over priced considering the materials used. A good carpenter/handyman could probably site build a shed to your specs at half the cost.

Reaction Score
If you are heading to the BigE, every major shed/bldg company in the area should be there.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Down the road from Kloter Farms on route 83 in Ellington is another pre-built shed place, for another option.

Make sure you also find out from your town what they expect under the shed, such as tie downs from high winds, etc.

I have built sheds and seen the pre-built stuff. Both are great options, you just have to figure aesthetics and budget. The pre-built stuff is good because you can walk up and see it finished, see the shape insdie and out, see the quality of the cuts and finish.

Reaction Score

Skip's in Agawam does a great job and support their product. Great time of year as you can get a great deal at the Big E from Skip's!!! Mine is about 7 yrs old and looks and feels brand new.....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
You cannot go wrong with Kloter Farms. They are honest people, and that counts for a lot in my book. I had a shed from them at my last house, and it was rock solid. You should also check out their bedroom sets. Pricey, but unbelievably high quality. Their sheds are not all that expensive. In fact, I'd say they are below the median.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
My next door neighbor purchased from Kloter Farms and is happy with it. Perhaps more importantly, I am happy with it, as it is the first thing you see when approaching my house.

Reaction Score

http://www.carefreebuildings.com/
Carefree Small Buildings is outstanding and they deliver. Their web site (above) has all sorts of options.
The important thing Tom is not to mount the shed on cinder blocks...used crushed stone and 4 x 4 pressure treated. My shed is on blocks and the rear of the shed has about 30 boxes of books. The shed sunk about 6" on that end over the years.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Why do/did you need the neyba's permission? Do/did you need a variance? It's a misconceived notion that someone needs permission from a neyba when seeking a variance to put a shed closer to a lot line than zoning regs allow. You only need the ZBA'a permission. (Plus a damned good reason for wanting to defy the zoning regs).

Reaction Score
A co-worker just bought a kit for a 10 X 14 for like 800 bucks and had a guy put it up for 400 and all that is left is painting it.....not bad.....

Skips is still the way to go!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A co-worker just bought a kit for a 10 X 14 for like 800 bucks and had a guy put it up for 400 and all that is left is painting it.....not bad.....

Skips is still the way to go!

Where he get the kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member