OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love to get Pernetti at UConn. If not as AD, maybe his substantial ego and probable desire to show his alma mater that they made a mistake would allow him to take a realignment-based position. I'm not saying he got RU into the B1G, but I have some close second-hand ties and that guy got things done (even if he pissed a few people off along the way).

Pernetti bleeds scarlet. Even after being thrown under the bus by President Barchi last year, he still talks highly of Rutgers and I can't see him moving his family from Jersey, especially for a 'rival.' He is definitely passionate guy and loves the game.

Reaction Score
Um...

The two officials, who requested anonymity because the investigation into whether Flood violated university policy is ongoing, said the inquiry isn't simply about an email sent from Flood's private account. "It's about Kyle trying to circumvent the process and trying to get the kid eligible,'' one of the university officials told NJ Advance Media.
Duh! No kidding. But if what he did was ask if there was anything the guy could do like extra work that is hardly a federal case in my view. If the kid was getting an A there is no need to contact a prof and ask if he can do anything to get his grade up. So far at least from what I read Flood didn't ask him to change a grade. He asked if the player could do anything to EARN a passing grade. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Duh! No kidding. But if what he did was ask if there was anything the guy could do like extra work that is hardly a federal case in my view. If the kid was getting an A there is no need to contact a prof and ask if he can do anything to get his grade up. So far at least from what I read Flood didn't ask him to change a grade. He asked if the player could do anything to EARN a passing grade. Big difference.

What part of this sounds like it's not a rules violation?

"It's about Kyle trying to circumvent the process and trying to get the kid eligible,'' one of the university officials told NJ Advance Media.

You know what Circumvent means right?

Reaction Score
Would you feel the same way if it was an academic adviser making the contact?

Yes. Anyone.

If you're asking me about an academic adviser contacting me to ask if a student is doing well (assuming I had permission of the student to discuss such things) then that's perfectly fine.

The problem here is the question of extra credit. That is absolutely out of bounds by anyone. It's between me and the student. Not even the parents.

Reaction Score

I see it as totally improper.

I can definitely see where a temporary staffer might feel threatened.

Reaction Score
I see it as totally improper.

I can definitely see where a temporary staffer might feel threatened.

It's not even an issue of Flood asking about extra credit even if that's the case. The story blatantly says that Flood was trying to circumvent the process to get the kid eligible.

There is clearly a process in place for how athletics interact with academics. The allegation is that Flood is not following that process. Regardless of what that means he did or did not do, that is a violation of their rules. This isn't a witch hunt it's an investigation into an alleged rules violation.

Reaction Score
It's not even an issue of Flood asking about extra credit even if that's the case. The story blatantly says that Flood was trying to circumvent the process to get the kid eligible.

There is clearly a process in place for how athletics interact with academics. The allegation is that Flood is not following that process. Regardless of what that means he did or did not do, that is a violation of their rules. This isn't a witch hunt it's an investigation into an alleged rules violation.

The reason why extra credit is an issue here is simple. Any instructor is contractually bound to apply the rules of the class equally. Or else he/she can be sued and/or lose their job.

In which case, it would be plainly evident to every student in the class whether there are extra credit opportunities to improve a grade.

An instructor can't decide to do this on an ad hoc basis for an athlete.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. Anyone.

If you're asking me about an academic adviser contacting me to ask if a student is doing well (assuming I had permission of the student to discuss such things) then that's perfectly fine.

The problem here is the question of extra credit. That is absolutely out of bounds by anyone. It's between me and the student. Not even the parents.
Interesting.

Personally, I wouldn't see it as a issue if an adviser asked you what can a student do to improve his situation. Since that person doesn't have authority over you I don't view it as coercive. Why do you? I'm not questioning the appropriateness of your position. I am trying to understand it.

Reaction Score
The reason why extra credit is an issue here is simple. Any instructor is contractually bound to apply the rules of the class equally. Or else he/she can be sued and/or lose their job.

In which case, it would be plainly evident to every student in the class whether there are extra credit opportunities to improve a grade.

An instructor can't decide to do this on an ad hoc basis for an athlete.

My point was that what the conversation Flood may have actually had with the instructor is irrelevant. Clearly he violated a rule by doing it and to call the Rutgers investigation into this a witch hunt undermines the reason why the rules are in place to begin with.

We all have rules to follow at our jobs. Doesn't matter if we think they or unfair, you still have to accept responsibility if you break them.

Reaction Score
Don't agree w/ FS that there is nothing to see here...

... but this is clearly an orchestrated inside hatchet job whether the accusations end up being true in totality or not.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...-university-in-response-to-latest-allegations

>>“Let me ask this question before I respond: What you’re saying to me is, that a process that I’ve been told from the university not to comment on was commented on by people from the university?” Flood said. “I’m going to continue to respect the process, and I won’t have any further comment until the end of the process.”<<

Reaction Score
Barchi is a SERIOUS problem/future impediment for ANY coaching hire in ANY sport at RU. He threw Pernetti under the bus after he was duly notified of the Mike Rice situation...and the replacement has been an utter train wreck. What coach in the right mind would want to even interview with Hermann for that job right now.

Reaction Score

A distinction without a difference. I think it's pretty common practice, but the key is to know your audience.

Reaction Score
Barchi is a SERIOUS problem/future impediment for ANY coaching hire in ANY sport at RU. He threw Pernetti under the bus after he was duly notified of the Mike Rice situation...and the replacement has been an utter train wreck. What coach in the right mind would want to even interview with Hermann for that job right now.

Completely agree. Barchi, who has worked at UPenn and Thomas Jefferson Hospital in PA and has never been anywhere near a university with a major sports program, was hired personally by Governor Christie to oversee the complex and controversial merger of Rutgers with UMDNJ. He has no idea how to handle an athletic program. He was able to hide behind Pernetti, who did know what he was doing When the Rice scandal came out, Christie could not fire Barchi because that would have made him look weak regarding his White House aspirations, so Pernetti was sacrificed instead. In turn, Rutgers hired Hermann, who has been an unequivocal disaster ,and Rutgers leadership has no one else to sacrifice, except for Flood, who is liked in the local football circle. Ah, my tax dollars hard at work :mad:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If flood thought his actions were above board, why did he use his personal e-mail account?

What was written in the e-mail is not relevant. Messages are often conveyed by what is not written. An adjunct professor position is not exactly would is considered highly stable. It is entirely possible the professor would feel threatened by the $million football coach and feel pressured into giving special treatment to the athlete, when it wasn't deserved.

I totally disagree that there is nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
If flood thought his actions were above board, why did he use his personal e-mail account?

What was written in the e-mail is not relevant. Messages are often conveyed by what is not written. An adjunct professor position is not exactly would is considered highly stable. It is entirely possible the professor would feel threatened by the $million football coach and feel pressured into giving special treatment to the athlete, when it wasn't deserved.

I totally disagree that there is nothing to see here.

Just as a sidebar on adjuncts, my wife, who is an adjunct at a community college in NJ, which are run by the county and not the state, just had her hours cut by 25% due to budget issues. Higher education funding across the state of NJ is flat or trending down while enrollment is up. It's a major issue.

Reaction Score
Just as a sidebar on adjuncts, my wife, who is an adjunct at a community college in NJ, which are run by the county and not the state, just had her hours cut by 25% due to budget issues. Higher education funding across the state of NJ is flat or trending down while enrollment is up. It's a major issue.
Surprising/disappointing about the community college issue. Over the years I've seen a lot of kids choose to go the community college route over four year schools for the first two years. A woman I work with has a daughter that graduated from a top public/academy high school and chose community college over Rutgers, NYU (partial scholarship) and others for financial reasons.

Reaction Score
Very weird stuff happening at Rutgers practice today. From Sam Hellman who covers RU from Scout.com.

1. Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 48m48 minutes ago
    Flood wrapped up his press conference with nothing new but there's a lot of time in the day. Strange afternoon at Rutgers.

2. 11:58 AM - 3 Sep 2015

Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 52m52 minutes ago
    Rutgers coach Kyle Flood says he still expects to coach on Saturday. "I will be coaching the game on Saturday."

3. 11:51 AM - 3 Sep 2015

Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 59m59 minutes ago
    Practice should end around noon at Rutgers. Never seen police control the entrance in my 8 years here.

4. 11:47 AM - 3 Sep 2015

Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 1h1 hour ago
    Not only is there a police presence at the Hale Center entrance but AD Julie Hermann is at practice. Interesting. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Very weird stuff happening at Rutgers practice today. From Sam Hellman who covers RU from Scout.com.

Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 59m59 minutes ago
Practice should end around noon at Rutgers. Never seen police control the entrance in my 8 years here.

Sam Hellman ‏@SamHellmanScout 1h1 hour ago
Not only is there a police presence at the Hale Center entrance but AD Julie Hermann is at practice. Interesting. Stay tuned.

Now know why the PD was there.. http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/09/multiple_rutgers_football_players_arrested.html

Reaction Score
So you think Delany is doing a face palm yet again? Nobody ever died for dear old Rutgers!

Reaction Score
So you think Delany is doing a face palm yet again? Nobody ever died for dear old Rutgers!

Cable Box University isn't in the B1G for their sports or academics. This changes nothing unless the school moves to Camden.

Reaction Score

Ditto in North Jersey and yet no word from the President nor AD event though it looks like some knew what was coming and this is going to get way more coverage than their home opener this weekend against powerhouse Norfolk St.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/fiv...-violent-crimes-suspended-from-team-1.1403423

Barchi can't be fired because of his tie to Christie. Hermann can't be fired because of her tie to Barchi, event though neither seem to know how to run a major athletic program. A head has to fall for this, my guess it will be Flood's. Not like Rutgers cares about performance on the field anyway. Harbough, Myer and Franklin will love this as it will make it easier for them to get players in one the key recruiting states.

Reaction Score
Ditto in North Jersey and yet no word from the President nor AD event though it looks like some knew what was coming and this is going to get way more coverage than their home opener this weekend against powerhouse Norfolk St.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/fiv...-violent-crimes-suspended-from-team-1.1403423

Barchi can't be fired because of his tie to Christie. Hermann can't be fired because of her tie to Barchi, event though neither seem to know how to run a major athletic program. A head has to fall for this, my guess it will be Flood's. Not like Rutgers cares about performance on the field anyway. Harbough, Myer and Franklin will love this as it will make it easier for them to get players in one the key recruiting states.
I don't think UM, tOSU, and PSU needed any more ammunition to outrecruit RU... Those schools sell themselves when compared to Rutgers. However, I do know of a certain school in the region that has done very well in NJ lately, that competes with RU for recruits fairly regularly, that could use this to their advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom