OT RIP Chocolate Thunder big DD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One of the earliest to go to the NBA straight out of high school

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Darryl Dawkins - wow, dead at 58 - so young.

Reaction Score
I'll always associate DD with the last game of the Sixers Celtics series in 1982. It was a great series between two great teams and the Sixers had to climb off the ropes to win it. When it became clear that the Sixers were going to win game 7, to their enormous credit, the crowd began a thunderous chant of "Beat LA, beat LA ...." (They didn't.) Dawkins would later comment regarding the famous chant, "When I heard that, my ____ got stiff."

Condolences to his loved ones. He's someone of whom you can truly say, they broke the mold. Not a bad legacy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No he never played for the Who...just the Sixers
Honestly I thought someone stopped manufacturing a candy bar.

Rarely watch the NBA and never the Sixers since the days or Wilt and Greer. Never heard the nickname. Blessings to all touched by the loss.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score

Wrong by at least a generation and a previous Philly team. Joe Grabowski played for the Philadelphia Warriors of Paul Arizin, Tom Gola, Neil Johnston, et. al. in the early 1950's. I believe he was even preceded by Connie Simmons.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Wrong by at least a generation and a previous Philly team. Joe Grabowski played for the Philadelphia Warriors of Paul Arizin, Tom Gola, Neil Johnston, et. al. in the early 1950's. I believe he was even preceded by Connie Simmons.
The NBA was around in the 50's?

Reaction Score
Big Philly fan and DR.J!Condolences to Darryls family.I love watching him play and being interviewed.Philly,Boston and Lakers were the teams to beat and were all great to watch.The 80s Oh Yeah LOL!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
along with Moses Malone... in the "NBA Draft" era. Bill Willoughby also came in with Chocolate Thunder. All this happened after a 1971 Supreme Court decision

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, sorry I missed this. Condolences to his family. RIP.

Reaction Score
I stopped at a local grocery store on my way home from school at Monmouth University in Long Branch, NJ in the late '90s. I saw a figure at the end of the aisle that was taller than anyone I'd ever seen in a store in my life.

It was DD and he was looking at me- probably wondering if I was going to bother him for a autograph or something. Never saw him again but watched him all the time when he played with Dr. J & Co.

RIP, Darryl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul