OT: RIP Chocolate Thunder big DD | The Boneyard

OT: RIP Chocolate Thunder big DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
RIP DD. The man was a beast. Wish I could have seen him play in more than just highlights.

Do you feel like a beast when you break a backboard on a dunk? Or do you just think it was a fluke, even in the moment?

I know I would just feel like the fat piece of sh_t that broke the backboard on the 8.5 foot hoop and ruined everyone's fun.

Reaction Score
58... So sad . I remember watching a highly entertaining interview he did with simmons all star weekend ... Chocothunder was an aol password of mine 15 yrs ago

Reaction Score
Darryl Dawkins was one of the first players to be drafted out of high school. He was taken the year after Moses Malone was drafted out of high school and Moses was the 2nd one to do so at the time.

I was a Sixers (huge Dr. J) fan growing up back then and the Celts used to play a few games in Hartford every year. There was a preseason Sixers/Celtics game that my uncle got me tickets to. I'd never seen Dr J play live, really just highlights and the CBS Sunday game of the week. Well, he sprained his ankle the week before that game and sat it out so I was disappointed...but our seats were right on the tunnel where the players came out. I'd never see Dawkins before and this giant walked out of the tunnel past me with a big hoop earring. You have to understand, back then, being that big just wasn't common. He was the biggest human I'd ever seen in real life. Add in the legend of the backboards in later years and he always had a soft spot with me and my childhood hoops memories. RIP.

Reaction Score
When I lived in Providence in 1984, DD was part of a pickup NBA squad that played an exhibition against the Olympic team (Jordan, Ewing, Mullin). I saw him walking on the street an hour or so before the game, carrying an enormous duffel bag (he might have been walking from the train station to the arena). Kids were following him like he was the Pied Piper and he had a smile and a kind word for every one of them. Nice guy, part of some great teams, and huge personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom