OT: Rex Chapman Arrested for Shoplifting | The Boneyard

OT: Rex Chapman Arrested for Shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/19/nba-rex-chapman-arrested_n_5853140.html

How the mighty (bad) have fallen... He's being held on suspicion of nine counts of organized retail theft and five counts of trafficking in stolen property. Police say Chapman made it appear he was using the store's self-checkout, but left without paying. He allegedly stole from the store seven times and sold the items for cash at a pawn shop. Chapman may have gotten away with it had he not been a 12-year veteran of the NBA. The Apple Store employees alerted local authorities after recognizing him from the four years he spent with the Phoenix Suns in the late '90s. How exactly did he think he'd be unnoticed and unrecognizable?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is there to say?

Just another story of athletes behaving badly. Too many to post these days. Many need help, counseling, rehab, etc...

Reaction Score
Rex has never seemed to be the sharpest knife in the kitchen. Did he really need $14,000 of products? Of which he maybe got $7,000? Or to him was it just a fun, easy scam he thought he could keep getting away with? And then fencing to pawn shops who need to hold things for 30 days to ensure they're not stolen? He definitely has a chance to be online of those Darwin Award lists for the dumbest criminals of the year!

Reaction Score
What is there to say?

Just another story of athletes behaving badly. Too many to post these days. Many need help, counseling, rehab, etc...

Thats the world we live in it goes on every where, athletes are no different.

Reaction Score
AJP and Marcus did the same thing. Not the brightest racket in the book.

Reaction Score
No they didn't. Dumb.

lol.. ok.. whats the difference if you steal a laptop from someone personally and sell it to a pawn shop or steal it form a store and sell it to a pawn shop. Dope.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
I'll bet it was the pay cut he had to take when he went to the NBA that started the tailspin to shoplifting from an Apple store.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
lol.. ok.. whats the difference if you steal a laptop from someone personally and sell it to a pawn shop or steal it form a store and sell it to a pawn shop. Dope.
It really pisses me off when UConn fans get this wrong. They did not steal the laptops. Yes, they did try to sell them but they did not take part in the premeditated act of stealing. Huge difference.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It really pisses me off when UConn fans get this wrong. They did not steal the laptops. Yes, they did try to sell them but they did not take part in the premeditated act of stealing. Huge difference.

Yup. How can we expect everyone else to get it right when our fan base can't even do it?

Furthermore, to the topic at hand, Rex stole from the store (committed a crime) 7+ times.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/19/nba-rex-chapman-arrested_n_5853140.html

How exactly did he think he'd be unnoticed and unrecognizable?

Hey, he disguised himself as a heavy-set, balding dude in need of a shave.
Bx7yaI8IQAAj55k.jpg:large

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
A fence doesn't steal property - they sell property that has been stolen by someone else. Still not a smart thing to do, but Williams/Price didn't technically steal anything. I'd be lying if I said I was ever a big Rex Chapman fan, but this is still a really sad story and I hope he can get himself back on track.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

You clearly don't know what happened. Price and Williams didn't steal anything. I don't even think they were in possession of a laptop. They tried to sell it for their friend (who stole it). Get some facts before you speak up. I mean, you are supposed to be a UCONN fan.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

Not to mention trying to compare the actions of a 40 year old who got paid over $22 million dollars during the course of his NBA career vs. a couple of 18-19 year college kids? If they can't see the difference there's really no hope for them.

Reaction Score

You're probably one of those people who thinks we were banned from the tournament last year because Shabazz Napier and his teammates had poor grades. Right?

Reaction Score
You're probably one of those people who thinks we were banned from the tournament last year because Shabazz Napier and his teammates had poor grades. Right?

No, they were banned because of Nate Miles, obviously.

Reaction Score

How the mighty (bad) have fallen... He's being held on suspicion of nine counts of organized retail theft and five counts of trafficking in stolen property. Police say Chapman made it appear he was using the store's self-checkout, but left without paying. He allegedly stole from the store seven times and sold the items for cash at a pawn shop. Chapman may have gotten away with it had he not been a 12-year veteran of the NBA. The Apple Store employees alerted local authorities after recognizing him from the four years he spent with the Phoenix Suns in the late '90s. How exactly did he think he'd be unnoticed and unrecognizable?

interesting factoid from wiki:

"According to Chapman, pressure from the university discouraging his interracial dating influenced his decision to leave early for the NBA draft.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Chapman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69