OT Recommend hotels/attractions for Gulf Coast Classic? | The Boneyard

OT Recommend hotels/attractions for Gulf Coast Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
We've decided to make the Gulf Coast Classic a vacation and head down for a week. Can anyone familiar with the area recommend good family hotels and attractions? Thanks for your insights.

Reaction Score
We've decided to make the Gulf Coast Classic a vacation and head down for a week. Can anyone familiar with the area recommend good family hotels and attractions? Thanks for your insights.

I believe that the Hyatt Regency in Bonita Springs might still have rooms available at a very good block rate for this event. I have a room reserved there for $149/night. It is a very upscale hotel which normally charges far more than $149. There is also a Hyatt Place nearby which is always a safe bet although not as nice as the Regency. The event should be a fun three days!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My wife and I always hit Sanibel Island when we are down there. It's really nice.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Colleen & I enjoyed the Seminole Gulf Railway Murder Mystery Train, a slow 20-mile or so round trip ride on a 3-car train along the Gulf coast, with an OK meal thrown in.

Just north of Bonita Springs there's Koreshan State Historic Park, a state park that used to be the private compound of a small religious sect in the early part of last century. Lots of nice trails to walk and interesting historical facts to discover. Not to mention the odd physical science beliefs of the sect.

There's a bunch of other state parks in the area.

There's golf courses everywhere -- keep an eye out for alligators in the water traps.

Lots of good beaches on the Gulf too.

On the drive back to the airport (if you fly into Tampa), just west of Sarasota, is the winter quarters of the Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey Circus. Museums, dioramas, circus memorabilia, the Ringling mansion and possibly a circus performance if you time it right. Didn't get to see a performance, but the rest of it was well worth the stop.

The drive from Tampa is 150 miles, but it's quite scenic in a number of places and the traffic has flowed very well every time we've done the drive. Made it in just over 2 hours after getting the rental car.

Reaction Score
Sanibel is a must. Just be prepared for massive traffic on and off the island. Think Cape Cod, with, IIRC, only one small bridge.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I forgot. You will be on the west coast. The absolutely best thing I have ever done on vacation was to swim with manatees at Crystal River, which is maybe 3 hours north on the coast. This is the only area in the country where you can legally swim with manatees. in fact, if you try to touch one anywhere else in FL, you can get arrested.

Costs about $45 a person. They take you out in small boats (capacity maybe 14) and equip you with snorkel gear, teach you what to do and not to do -- they are very strict on rules, and bring you where there are likely to be manatees. We had a record-setting day when I went. For some reason, the more social manatees wanted to hang out with people. Unlike swimming with dolphins (which this is nothing like) the manatees, not you, control the action. I had manatees nuzzling me for a good half hour. No guarantees that manatees will come to you, but it's almost impossible not to see some up close. If this sounds interesting, let me know and I'll get you the name of the tour company I used, which I swear by.

If you just want t see manatees, there is a place south of Tampa where the utility has opened a park . If you want that, I'll get you the name.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you in Florida.

Reaction Score
I may have 2 tickets for the game(s). SECTION 101 LOWER, ROW 3, SEATS 15 & 16.

I say maybe because the couple I got the tickets for can not go now. Another couple here in, "The Villages" may want them. If anyone is interested let me know. Not sure if this deal will go through or not. Price $220.00

Reaction Score
Make the short ride south to Naples and visit 5th Ave. Many fine restaurants in variety of price ranges. Nice avenue to stroll along and people watch. There are also beautiful public beaches in Naples. Great town.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
upload_2014-8-18_13-14-24.jpeg

Sorry to respond to this thread so late...all good suggestions so far. There is a "tourist type" area near 5th Avenue called Tin City. There are sunset cruises every evening for those that like beautiful sunsets. One combines sunset w/ seeing Dolphins. Another takes people to collect seashells during the day down in the 10,000 Island area by Marco Island. Also near Tin City are several fishing captains if you want to go 1/2 day (4 hours or so). Want to get up close to alligators? (see picture above) Shark Valley is 25 minutes away. They have both trams and bicycles, depending on how adventurous you want to be. Also out that way is Speedy's Airboat Tours in Everglades City. "Three finger" Bob gives the tours and demonstrates alligator wrestling.

The Naples Pier is a "happening" every night at sunset. It is down by 5th Avenue. There is also the Naples Zoo, right in south Naples. Naples also has a Botanical Gardens and a Museum of Art. Bottom line, just google Naples Attractions and there is a list of 77 different things to do. Most listed connect to a website w/ prices, times, dress, etc..

Keep in mind that before the first game, there will be a Boneyard party at Bokamper's at Coconut Point. Time and directions to follow. See everyone there...Go Huskies..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom