OT: Recent Same-Sex Marriage Ruling & WBB Silence | The Boneyard

OT: Recent Same-Sex Marriage Ruling & WBB Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw some celebratory Tweets and rainbow logos from some WNBA teams (e.g. Seattle, Phoenix) about the recent legalization of same-sex marriage. But I also follow a lot of HS and college women's basketball folks on Twitter, and maybe it was just me, but it felt like: *CRICKETS*

There have been some wonderful examples of activism on this front in the WBB community. Off the top of my head, there was that "Br{ache the Silence" thing that IIRC a few of my Cal Bears (both LGBT and straight alike) were instrumental in forming and that several lovely UConn young ladies (+ Geno) graciously lent their platform to support.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the stigma that has been discussed before, especially in regards to recruiting and negative recruiting tactics.

And make no mistake, some of the HS and college women's basketball folks I have in mind are tweeting 24/7 and are quite vocal on Twitter about other political issues and/or non-basketball topics, yet not a peep about the same-sex marriage ruling.

And frankly, considering some of the marketing, image, and PR tactics we've seen from the WNBA in the past, it's not exactly outlandish to consider some of their recent support for LGBT issues as "pink-washing."

Maybe people are just busy. After all, Beyonce herself was quiet about the news, and then she unleashed this F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S celebration on Instagram today, that nearly broke the internet, haha!

Ok, steppin' off my soap box ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01