OT: Rachel Banham | The Boneyard

OT: Rachel Banham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She needed 50 points to become the all time Big 10 scoring leader. She got 52 against Michigan St. today. But Aerial Powers (40 points 8 assists) and Tori Jankoska (24 points 15 assists) had pretty good games themselves in a 114 - 106 win for Michigan St.

http://btn.com/2016/02/21/watch-rachel-banham-set-big-ten-all-time-scoring-record/

Fun game to watch provided you weren't expecting any defense. :)

I would like to see UConn in the Big 10.

Reaction Score
She needed 50 points to become the all time Big 10 scoring leader. She got 52 against Michigan St. today. But Aerial Powers (40 points 8 assists) and Tori Jankoska (24 points 15 assists) had pretty good games themselves in a 114 - 106 win for Michigan St.

http://btn.com/2016/02/21/watch-rachel-banham-set-big-ten-all-time-scoring-record/

Fun game to watch provided you weren't expecting any defense. :)

I would like to see UConn in the Big 10.

Is Banham a can't-miss WNBA All-Star? Is she really that good?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Is Banham a can't-miss WNBA All-Star? Is she really that good?
She's having a really, really good run. She just passed Kelly Muzante (sp?).

Without looking it up, I think Banham may be smallish. I'm not convinced she will be an all star, but she will certainly be a contributor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Rachel is a future WNBA player. I don't know about an all-star. BTW, she is about 120 points behind Maya Moore in career scoring. She will finish near Griner and DelleDonne.

Reaction Score
Banham is a nice player, but she's doing all this in an unimpressive BigTen, against lots of pretty weak teams (even the top conference team- OSU- only plays offense and is allergic to defense). I would bet my last dollar that Moriah would absolutely shut her down. Moriah would undoubtedly make her look ordinary and hold her to single digits.

Banham is a very good D1 player, but she's never seen anything like Moriah Jefferson. Banham doesn't have the size (5'10"), strength and certainly not the quickness to deal with Moriah. Moriah would be Banham's worst nightmare.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Banham is a nice player, but she's doing all this in an unimpressive BigTen, against lots of pretty weak teams (even the top conference team- OSU- only plays offense and is allergic to defense). I would bet my last dollar that Moriah would absolutely shut her down. Moriah would undoubtedly make her look ordinary and hold her to single digits.

Banham is a very good D1 player, but she's never seen anything like Moriah Jefferson. Banham doesn't have the size (5'10"), strength and certainly not the quickness to deal with Moriah. Moriah would be Banham's worst nightmare.

That's exactly what all the experts said about Steph Curry.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rachel watch:

Minnesota has 2 regular season games left, against Ohio State and at Maryland. Neither of those schools play much defense. What's the over/under on Rachel's point total for those 2 games? I'd guess 70 or more.

Minnesota will have at least 2 post-season games, one in the Big Ten tourney and one in the NCAA or WNIT. So, she has at least 4 games left. It's reasonable to think that she will have 6 or 7.

Rachel has 2,921 career points. Here are the numbers she needs to catch the following players:

84 Cindy Blodgett

97 Cheryl Miller

104 Chamique Holdsclaw

115 Maya Moore

118 Elena DelleDonne

186 Jerica Coley

194 Lorri Bauman

201 Patricia Hoskins

362 Britney Griner

472 Jackie Stiles

I think she can pass all of them but Griner and Stiles.

Reaction Score
I have been following Rachel Banham since she was a freshman and she is an elite player!
Many of the WNBA players that have seen her game say she'll be a great pro.
After hurting her knee last season she's come all the way back!
She has a BIG HEART also, tough kid!

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

You would probably have said the same thing about Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride, both of whom torched MoJet in individual match-ups. You'll see next year that for all of her defensive prowess at UConn, Marina Mabrey and Bianca Cuevas don't play in the WNBA and all of those quicks won't do her a bit of good in that league.

Reaction Score
You would probably have said the same thing about Jewel Lloyd and Kayla McBride, both of who torched MoJet in individual match-up. You'll see next year that for all of her defensive prowess at UConn, Marina Mabrey and Bianca Cuevas don't play in the WNBA and all of those quicks won't do her a bit of good in that league.

Yeah, ok. You must be referring to last year's 2015 National Championship game in which Jewel Loyd "torched" Moriah for 12 points on a pathetic 4-18 shooting? Yeah, that was brutal.

Being a buckeye fan, you seem to have conveniently forgotten this year's UConn-OSU opener in Columbus, where your star shooting guard Kelsey Mitchell "torched" Moriah for 8 points on 2-14 shooting.

As an Ohio State fan, you really shouldn't talk about defense- it's an element of the game your team knows little about.

Last edited:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Yeah, ok. You must be referring to last year's 2015 National Championship game in which Jewel Loyd "torched" Moriah for 12 points on a pathetic 4-18 shooting? Yeah, that was brutal.

Being a buckeye fan, you seem to have conveniently forgotten this year's UConn-OSU opener in Columbus, where your star shooting guard Kelsey Mitchell "torched" Moriah for 8 points on 2-14 shooting.

As an Ohio State fan, you really shouldn't talk about defense- an element of the game your team knows little about.
If you've read any of my posts you know I constantly bemoan the lack of defense of this Buckeye team, it's what will ultimately doom their FF chances. You conveniently forget the Regular season meeting with ND when Jewel Lloyd had 32, while being guarded by MoJet and Kayla McBride had 28 the year before that in the Natty. I'm just saying her individual defense will be severely tested at the next level and her lack of size will be a hinderance. As for Kelsey Mitchell, her ability and stats speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
iamcbs, Kelsey Mitchell's ability spoke volumes when they played UConn. Get her off her game and she's done for the night. It's easy to score a lot of points when you take a lot of shots. D, Maya, Kaleena and Breanna could all put up numbers like that except their goal is to win championships not scoring titles. Also, Mo showed up when it counted most and shut down Jewel in the championship game. Also, it's Jewell Loyd not Jewel Lloyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom