OT: PSU Ticket Prices for 2015..the price of being a fan in the P-5 | The Boneyard

OT: PSU Ticket Prices for 2015..the price of being a fan in the P-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just got a text from a friend of mine about ticket prices at Penn St for the 2015 season. I decided to go and check for my self...and almost fell over!
The price of being a fan at a P-5 school is fast approaching that of being a fan of a NYC pro team.

The ticket prices are for seats in the upper deck of both end zones at Beaver Stadium purchased per game:
Opponent South End Zone North End Zone
Buffalo $50 $40
Rutgers $95 $90
San Diego St $50 $40
Army $50 $40
Indiana $75 $70
Illinois $65 $60
Michigan $95 $90

They also jacked up parking this year as well...doubling over night RV parking.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You could and still get season tickets at The Rent ($120s for Top of the Rent) even back when Rutgers was in the Big East/AAC for nearly the price of the single Penn State game ($95).

Certainly a different animal that hopefully we'll see in our lifetime.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If UConn was in a P5 and generally going 8-5 or 9-4 for 20 years with the possibility of going 11-2 (in good years) I think they would sell out most games at similar pricing. Granted we've never had pricing in that ballpark but I would be inclined to think we'd average close to 40,000, considering that average 8-5 or 9-4 season was basically our peak.

Reaction Score
Supply and demand my friend. By playing in a P5 conference, you get P5 opponents coming to your stadium, creating sell out conditions.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Just got a text from a friend of mine about ticket prices at Penn St for the 2015 season. I decided to go and check for my self...and almost fell over!
The price of being a fan at a P-5 school is fast approaching that of being a fan of a NYC pro team.

The ticket prices are for seats in the upper deck of both end zones at Beaver Stadium purchased per game:
Opponent South End Zone North End Zone
Buffalo $50 $40
Rutgers $95 $90
San Diego St $50 $40
Army $50 $40
Indiana $75 $70
Illinois $65 $60
Michigan $95 $90

They also jacked up parking this year as well...doubling over night RV parking.

They valued Rutgers the same as Michigan...

MattMang23

Reaction Score
If UConn was in a P5 and generally going 8-5 or 9-4 for 20 years with the possibility of going 11-2 (in good years) I think they would sell out most games at similar pricing. Granted we've never had pricing in that ballpark but I would be inclined to think we'd average close to 40,000, considering that average 8-5 or 9-4 season was basically our peak.

The difference is we have 40K seats. They are at 2.5x that amount.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The difference is we have 40K seats. They are at 2.5x that amount.
Oh I originally had that mentioned in there as a "granted, our capacity" etc type statement. I just meant to say that this pricing made sense. And then the implication would have been that the Rent could be expanded. Accidentally cut it off while editing.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Oh I originally had that mentioned in there as a "granted, our capacity" etc type statement. I just meant to say that this pricing made sense. And then the implication would have been that the Rent could be expanded. Accidentally cut it off while editing.

Ahhh gotcha.

Reaction Score
Except PSU doesn't sell out like they used to.

True, however it is trending back upward. The introduction of a highly unpopular seat licensing program(STEP), coinciding with the fall out from The Sandusky Scandal was a perfect storm on attendance. Franklin had attendance up north of 101 K last year, with much greater potential in the near future as the record improves along with the home schedule.

Reaction Score
They valued Rutgers the same as Michigan...

In theory it is the second biggest home game on the schedule next year, which is plenty disappointing for season ticket holders. Mercifully the home schedules get better moving forward in terms of opponents of interest visiting HV. Personally I prefer a dynamic pricing model over a static one. It encourages the casual fans to come out to games like Army or SDSU as they are essentially a two for one compared to UM.

Reaction Score
True, however it is trending back upward. The introduction of a highly unpopular seat licensing program(STEP), coinciding with the fall out from The Sandusky Scandal was a perfect storm on attendance. Franklin had attendance up north of 101 K last year, with much greater potential in the near future as the record improves along with the home schedule.
The increased pricing for parking...especially rv over night parking is gonna hurt a bit. My friends were on the fence about selling their rv's (they only use them for games)...that sealed the deal. The amenities in the rv lot for that price aren't even slim..they are nonexistent!

Reaction Score
The increased pricing for parking...especially rv over night parking is gonna hurt a bit. My friends were on the fence about selling their rv's (they only use them for games)...that sealed the deal. The amenities in the rv lot for that price aren't even slim..they are nonexistent!

I'm sure it will hurt a bit. In all honesty it is very disappointing how our AD seems to love sticking it to loyal customers on a regular basis. That said most season ticket holders in The RV lots will likely re up, as much like your friends above, they use their vehicles primarily for tailgating.

Reaction Score
Where are the RU fans puffing their chest about having the costliest ticket?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Where are the RU fans puffing their chest about having the costliest ticket?

The only reason they're the costliest is that they're the closest road team to PSU and PSU knows they're going to show up... And so they're gonna pay to do it.

Reaction Score
The only reason they're the costliest is that they're the closest road team to PSU and PSU knows they're going to show up... And so they're gonna pay to do it.

Didn't St. Johns increase prices and inter-weave UCONN into a "we're-the--home-team" ticket package for games at MSG?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Sounds like something the Johnnies would do. They always resented us that we had more fans come 50 miles than they had come 50 blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom