OT - Providence hoops | The Boneyard

OT - Providence hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm going to try not to take too much from one game, but boy, they look impressive. Everybody's heard about Dunn by now, but he sat most of the game with foul trouble and they were still able to hold off Arizona. Ben Bentil is legit, Rodney Bullock has been a revelation after missing, I think, his first two years of college basketball.

And about Dunn...man, he's really, really good. The 19 points and 8 assists in half a game is one thing, but what impresses me most about him is the pulsating control he seems to have on the game. He makes passes in transition that I don't see from anybody else in the country.

I know there's a history between the two fan bases but I would encourage you not to allow a couple of internet trolls to negatively influence your perception of this team. They're likable and really fun to watch - I know Arizona was a ticking time bomb at that #11 spot, and maybe MSU blows them out tomorrow, but they have a look about them that reminds me a little of some of our past teams.

Reaction Score
Dunn has NBA written all over him, he was very Kemba like at the end of the game. Some of their fans are a pain in the arse but I've always kind of liked Providence and Cooley is a good coach and likable fellow.

Reaction Score
Dunn has NBA written all over him, he was very Kemba like at the end of the game. Some of their fans are a pain in the arse but I've always kind of liked Providence and Cooley is a good coach and likable fellow.
Their fan's bitterness toward UConn is understandable. They had some success in the past and had passed Holy Cross as the best program in New England. They thought that they would win a NC like Holy Cross did. Then along came UConn to win four NC's. FWIW Arizona should have lost to an 0-5 Santa Clara team the night before. Even though they are ranked they are not very good.

Reaction Score
Dunn is excellent. We'd be really good with Bentil that's all I can say.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Providence. In a perfect world I would love to see Providence and UConn land the 2 and 3 seeds in the East Region and play in the regional semi finals in Philadelphia (Sweet16). That is probably asking way way to much right now. Just have to keep grinding and hope for the best. Providence is playing much better than I expected.

Reaction Score
I'm going to try not to take too much from one game, but boy, they look impressive. Everybody's heard about Dunn by now, but he sat most of the game with foul trouble and they were still able to hold off Arizona. Ben Bentil is legit, Rodney Bullock has been a revelation after missing, I think, his first two years of college basketball.

And about Dunn...man, he's really, really good. The 19 points and 8 assists in half a game is one thing, but what impresses me most about him is the pulsating control he seems to have on the game. He makes passes in transition that I don't see from anybody else in the country.

I know there's a history between the two fan bases but I would encourage you not to allow a couple of internet trolls to negatively influence your perception of this team. They're likable and really fun to watch - I know Arizona was a ticking time bomb at that #11 spot, and maybe MSU blows them out tomorrow, but they have a look about them that reminds me a little of some of our past teams.
I was thinking they look like 2011 early on. That team upset a top 3 Michigan State team.

Reaction Score
Not to rain on this parade but PC is nothing more than decent team this year. Dunn is excellent, maybe the best player the country, and Bentil can play but outside that they do not have much. They beat a Arizona team who should not be ranked let a lone 11th and other then that they have played nobody. They almost lost at home to a dreadful Illinois team. Lets see what they do against MSU.

Reaction Score
Now might be the best time for my confession: Providence was always my 2nd favorite BE team

Reaction Score
Let's not forget Arizona was without kaleb.

He is vital to that Arizona squad. Lost him in the previous game where they went to OT and almost lost to Santa Clara

Reaction Score
Would they even accept scrubs like us from a third world conference?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm Sorry
Screw Providence
Despise their fans, never liked the team since BE days
I don't care if Cooley is the nicest man on earth - he coaches PC so he sucks - just goes with the territory to me
They can't bear being the #2 team in New England and until they win more NCs than UConn - that's as high as they will be.

Reaction Score
National Championships?????????????????? Let them win ONE game in the BIG DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had an ALL AMER. for four years and won ZERO BIG DANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Reaction Score
National Championships?????????????????? Let them win ONE game in the BIG DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They had an ALL AMER. for four years and won ZERO BIG DANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Chet Walker? Marvin- no, Ernie - don't think so? Who am I forgetting? Lenny no

Do they at least have a Helms? :cool:

Reaction Score
Was speaking of Ryan Gomes. Chet played at Bradley. You meant Jimmy Walker-----Jalen Rose's father:):):)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Chet Walker? Marvin- no, Ernie - don't think so? Who am I forgetting? Lenny no

"It's the dumbest [bleeping] question I've ever heard. I've explained it 1,000 times. I [fouled] up. I didn't take Ryan Gomes. Does that make you happy? almighty. ... It took 18 months to sell the kid to Providence. It's been written about. It's been talked about. Don't shake your [bleeping] head. You asked a question. I'm telling you how I feel about it. I took Emeka Okafor and Caron Butler. They're not bad. I can't take every player. We have 13 scholarships. ... And if you want me to say I [fouled] up, I [fouled] up. Write it. ... You want me to say I [fouled] up? For the fifth time, I [fouled] up. So put it five times."

Reaction Score

As if the fixed Battle of Atlantis tournament wasn't bad enough I gotta read this love letter to PC on the BY. Good grief what a week.

Reaction Score
It is pretty crazy that their 2 best players of the last 25 years are Connecticut kids. Dunn is even better than Gomes and has a much higher NBA ceiling. I root for New England basketball and especially Connecticut kids, have rooted for Providence since I was a kid. My hate is reserved for places like Duke and Kentucky, also hate BC but they are so irrelevant it's not worth any time thinking about them.

caw

Reaction Score
Hating a school just isn't worth the effort.

I do think a few of the PC fans who post online are complete morons, well maybe just one, that Sean dude is an idiot. The rest are at least somewhat rational and you can have a discussions with them. They do have a grand conspiracy theory on why UConn and apac don't play when the answer is really simple, PC doesn't have a high enough national profile to warrant a home and home and PC won't play solely at UConn.

Even FriarJ for the most part is decent in his posting.

I'm rooting for them bc I'm a huge fan of Dunn. Unless they get another kid from my birthplace, I doubt I'll bother following them in the future.

Reaction Score
Explanation for Gomes and Dunn. Nobody wanted Gomes and PC took a chance with him. We felt Calhoun was a better player and he went with us while Dunn was still undecided. You win some and you lose some in the recruiting game.

Reaction Score
How did we miss out on Dunn?? SMH Providence knows Good Connecticut kids when they see them with a basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom