OT: Prostitutes for L'ville men's recruits; Pitino Heartbroken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far, no indication of "Hunks for Hire" on the women's side. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What a world we live in. Does anyone seriously give credence to the idea Rick did not know - a staffer just did it and got the money from the Tooth Fairy?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a world we live in. Does anyone seriously give credence to the idea Rick did not know - a staffer just did it and got the money from the Tooth Fairy?
I certainly believe it is possible - I am sure there was a budget for on campus visits and I doubt a head coach actually reviewed the expenses. That said ...No, I do not believe he was in the dark, if the allegations are true.
Especially in football, there have always been stories about the 'groupies' that were hanging around during recruiting visits, though a lot of the stories were about female students with lots of 'team spirit'. And of course Miami's 'rogue' booster was providing both women and the boats and mansions to house them.

Reaction Score
What a bummer. Wish this happened at Kentucky with the Squid, or even at Syracuse with Boeheim - I actually like Pitino...
No spitting match eric but I find it hard to believe you do not realize Patino and Calipari are like two peas in a pod. As for Boeheim his sliminess could never reach the heights of Rick or John. Never thought he was that great a coach, he had the dome and a 2/3 zone. He had the easiest recruiting tools of them all. "Come here and you can play in front of 30,000 and not have to work hard on defense!"

Reaction Score
Pitting is the scum of the earth - actually worse. Some of the things he did while a player at UMass were disgusting - and he never changed. No morals, no conscience.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
No spitting match eric but I find it hard to believe you do not realize Patino and Calipari are like two peas in a pod. As for Boeheim his sliminess could never reach the heights of Rick or John. Never thought he was that great a coach, he had the dome and a 2/3 zone. He had the easiest recruiting tools of them all. "Come here and you can play in front of 30,000 and not have to work hard on defense!"
I wouldn't defend a Coach as being less slimy who covered up for a pedophile attacking ball boys on his own team!

Reaction Score
Pitino is just disappointed they didn't let him in on the action.

HGN

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if anything became of these allegations and investigation. They always seem to have a way of dying out and being forgotten. Especially in Kentucky. I laughed when I read that Pitino said he was surprised and disappointed. I seem to remember a few years ago Pitino himself was accused of such allegations. And it was all conveniently forgotten.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And Rick knows how to do indignation. His presser about his sordid little affair that became an extortion attempt (false rape accusations from his fling).

Same all over - if you're successful in sports you can do pretty much anything and get away with it( OJ anyone on this anniversary).

Reaction Score
Big time college coaches know EVERYTHING that is going on with their team. That is simply their business!
It's sad when leadership in a position of authority claims ignorance in a case like this. When stories like this one break, the other coaches mentioned in this thread, the winningest coach in college football history, Generals at Abu Ghraid, politicians overseeing slush funds, somehow all find themselves totally unaware of the mayhem that is being orchestrated by the subservients that work directly under their control.

Could an incident have occurred without a coach being aware of its happening? Of course, but if any of this is true, and this routine existed for nearly as long as is claimed, then more than a little of the mud created by the story will wind up splashed onto Pitino.

If a case for the validity of this women's story gains traction in the media, amateur attorneys will argue over the specifics of who knew what, and when did they know it, but for me that misses the point.

As the father of a former intercollegiate lacrosse player I took particular interest in the Duke lacrosse (sorry Triad) case of a few years ago. The arguments that were made, and later confirmed, that a rape never actually took place, I thought led the public away from the conversation that actually should have been taking place.

At what point, I wondered, should the coaching staff and athletic department have been concerned with the "party" atmosphere that allowed for these type of events to occur. In Pitino's case are we to believe that not even a rumor, or a snippet of gossip has made its way to his ears over the past four years? Shouldn't a coach be aware of what goes on during recruiting weekends to some extent?

To be sure a group of athlete's, (basketball, lacrosse, football and otherwise), set loose after a game, descends on campus like a hoard of Norsemen invading a village in the low countries in search of red meat, but the behavior of individuals recreating on their own time is in many ways out of the control of the coaching staff and athletic departments.

But structured recruiting visits are absolutely part of the responsibilties of the head coach. When coaches, generals, politicians, and employers claim ignorance of abuses that take place within their immediately sphere of influence they insult their supporters, their fans, and the public as a whole.

People in charge of important business enterprises (Men's NCAA basketball is a business enterprise) are responsible for being aware of the inner workings of their business or they wouldn't have been asked to swim in the deep end of the pool.

Reaction Score
I find it disturbing that so many of us are ready to condemn the coach without any evidence so far.

Reaction Score
Such lurid and scandalous behavior by Louisville (if true) should give pause to those who get all bent out of shape by a few harsh words from Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Before anyone gets too sanctimonious about college party scenes - there is a reason that every year a number of publications provide a list of the best party schools, and there is a fair portion of the HS graduates that take into consideration the 'social' aspects of schools when choosing the school to attend. Being in the middle of cow pastures has not been the best selling point for Uconn!

There has always been, especially for the men's programs, a push to give the recruits (not necessarily their parents) a view of campus life that includes lots of attention from the opposite sex - for seventeen year old boys that is a definite selling point and for seventeen year old girls, I am sure it is of interest. I am sure most scholarship athletes make sure there is a lively social event on tap the weekend when high profile recruits are visiting their school with or without coaching input - a reason why home football game weekends are such a bonus time for scheduling those visits.

And athletes in money sports, some of whom will be signing multi-million dollar contracts within the year attract all sorts of hangers on both from on campus and off. Some people see them as meal tickets - whether as a future partner, or a business contact, or just an entree into a more 'glamorous' lifestyle, or they just like to be next to the famous, or soon to be famous.

If a coach actually paid to bring outsiders in, then that is really sleazy and wrong. The same for boosters. And it is certainly against NCAA rules and should be sanctioned. But the idea that coaches are in a position to curtail athletes partying as long as it isn't effecting performance, scholastic work, or bringing law enforcement down on it, is not realistic.

In the Duke situation - yeah, my memory of the reporting was that the party house had brought community complaints a number of times - at that point one would expect coaches to become involved. And that issue became buried in the much more serious complaints, and the whole legal proceedings, etc.

Reaction Score
It's sad when leadership in a position of authority claims ignorance in a case like this. When stories like this one break, the other coaches mentioned in this thread, the winningest coach in college football history, Generals at Abu Ghraid, politicians overseeing slush funds, somehow all find themselves totally unaware of the mayhem that is being orchestrated by the subservients that work directly under their control.

Could an incident have occurred without a coach being aware of its happening? Of course, but if any of this is true, and this routine existed for nearly as long as is claimed, then more than a little of the mud created by the story will wind up splashed onto Pitino.

If a case for the validity of this women's story gains traction in the media, amateur attorneys will argue over the specifics of who knew what, and when did they know it, but for me that misses the point.

As the father of a former intercollegiate lacrosse player I took particular interest in the Duke lacrosse (sorry Triad) case of a few years ago. The arguments that were made, and later confirmed, that a rape never actually took place, I thought led the public away from the conversation that actually should have been taking place.

At what point, I wondered, should the coaching staff and athletic department have been concerned with the "party" atmosphere that allowed for these type of events to occur. In Pitino's case are we to believe that not even a rumor, or a snippet of gossip has made its way to his ears over the past four years? Shouldn't a coach be aware of what goes on during recruiting weekends to some extent?

To be sure a group of athlete's, (basketball, lacrosse, football and otherwise), set loose after a game, descends on campus like a hoard of Norsemen invading a village in the low countries in search of red meat, but the behavior of individuals recreating on their own time is in many ways out of the control of the coaching staff and athletic departments.

But structured recruiting visits are absolutely part of the responsibilties of the head coach. When coaches, generals, politicians, and employers claim ignorance of abuses that take place within their immediately sphere of influence they insult their supporters, their fans, and the public as a whole.

People in charge of important business enterprises (Men's NCAA basketball is a business enterprise) are responsible for being aware of the inner workings of their business or they ouldn't have been asked to swim in the deep end of the pool.

\I come from the group that believes those mentioned above --if they don't know what is happening at a level or two from the bottom--shouldn't they be fired??

Then I remember the allegations against Geno by a security guard in the hall way---that incident was a nothing compared to this. But it did get lots of press as this will. Took Geno's Attorneys a long time to make that go away--and he was innocent.

I'd like to be a good Christian and think only the best about every incident like this--but I have been wrong so often. And too I think of the little boys in Syracuse==I don't like trying my cases in the press but you can't let the bad guys win.

Reaction Score
I have it from a reliable source that the worst of the scandal has yet to be revealed. The story is that with the approval of both the AD and coaching staff a booster hired Jessica Rabbit, to not only play patty cakes with potential recruits but to also supply them with as much carrot cake as they wanted.

Reaction Score
I find it disturbing that so many of us are ready to condemn the coach without any evidence so far.

I condemn him for his many past incidents of unethical behavior where there was evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom