OT -Our Women | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT -Our Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course you don't get it, you're a fn dope! Please, anyone who believes this comparison is real is a fn dope! Your call on that one pal....
No, you are the dope because I didn't make a comparison. In fact, technically, neither did the OP. It is the insecure little weiner crew that created a comparison straw man to beat to death just like they do in EVERY thread about Geno and the women's team. You friggin people see ghosts everywhere. Let it goooooo.....

Reaction Score
No, you are the dope because I didn't make a comparison. In fact, technically, neither did the OP. It is the insecure little weiner crew that created a comparison straw man to beat to death just like they do in EVERY thread about Geno and the women's team. You friggin people see ghosts everywhere. Let it goooooo.....

Spanky? You're so dumb it's pitiful. I feel bad for the women's fan you are actually arguing for them because you're so 'f dup, but hey - even a dope has an opinion! :eek:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You really have no clue at all. He didn't get the top recruit last year or the year before. You either hate Geno because of the Geno-Jim feud or because you have a little . To marginalize his accomplishments, you and those of your ilk perpetuate this myth of a lack of parity in the women's game. Guess what spanky, Rutgers has FIVE five star players including FOUR McD all-americans. Talent-wise, they are much closer to UConn than our men's team is to Kentucky and I bet you think we are still close enough to beat them more often than not, just because we have recently.

And for those that buy into the moronic argument that our women execute their offense so well because they do so against unathletic women, guess what, they are also women. And our men are as athletic as the men defending them. Fundamentals and precision matter, regardless of sex. Ask Popovich. Ask any of the coaches and analysts from the men's game that have watched Geno's practices and raved about them. Ask the Hall of Fame. All of those people know more about basketball than anyone on this board, including myself.

I really don't get the Geno bashing here. I don't feel the need to hate on Calhoun or Ollie because I admire Geno. I know snide remarks were tossed over the fence by both sides in the past. Get over it.

Am I allowed to respect what he's done and think he's an a**hole if I base it on the times I've been around him he's been an a**hole?

Reaction Score
You really have no clue at all. He didn't get the top recruit last year or the year before..

Yeah, he got the #2,3,5 and 10. He is working with unknowns people, don't you guys get that. And so far this year, he has only managed to get the #1,3 and 4. I am amazed he somehow keeps winning games.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I will not for the life of me understand how a UConn basketball fan can trash the women's program. Even if you do think Geno was an , Calhoun was an even bigger one, and thats why we loved him. Most often, the greatest winners and competitors will have the biggest egos and attitudes, you cant strive to achieve what either Geno or Calhoun did without it.

Reaction Score
Am I allowed to respect what he's done and think he's an a**hole if I base it on the times I've been around him he's been an a**hole?
Yep.

And, for the record, while there are very real differences between the games such as size, speed and strength, that doesn't mean there aren't also similarities such as the value of fundamentals and precision of execution. We are talking about two different sports but the difference isn't exactly the same as golf and football.

If there is a lack of parity, it is more the quality of coaches rather than the quality of rosters. Some people are too simple to understand that it is actually a compliment to Calhoun and Ollie to say there is as much lack of parity in the men's game because it points to how amazing it was to win despite having much less talent to work with than, say, Kentucky. Geno is what the squid would be if the squid was as good of a coach.

Lastly, you guys are becoming unhinged because I am hitting a nerve and all you can say is "dope" or make crap up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Our women's program is the pleasant happening of the best coach getting the best players and doing grievous harm to the rest of the country.

Comparisons to Calipari are ignorant.

Gene built a legendary program whereas Calipari was handed the keys to one.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They are the once in the life of a sport good.
They are the UCLA, New York Yankees, Green Bay Packers of their game.

This NCAA could play out as the greatest hits of UCONN rivals (or at least ex-rivals). Rutgers, Louisville, Tenn. and ND could all be in their path.

Criticism of the Women from grown men who don't follow the game is almost as lame as the grandmothers fans of the Women criticizing the Men's team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yeah, he got the #2,3,5 and 10. He is working with unknowns people, don't you guys get that. And so far this year, he has only managed to get the #1,3 and 4. I am amazed he somehow keeps winning games.

I hope you're not one of the folks promoting K over Izzo on the "Wins Above Expected" thread.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only if you provide stories.

Sometime when I feel like typing there is a somewhat funny one, but it's a much better story in person. It's way too long from a phone.

The others are mostly boring, except for one I can't tell - most people wouldn't believe it anyway.

I have a relative that married into a family that is in deep with the women's program - I'm sure on Easter I'll get a whole bunch of little tidbits of minor dramas.

Reaction Score
Annnd, another hater arguing with a strawman he created. This straw man apparently said Geno recruits unknowns. Try this one. This Rutgers team is actually one of their weakest, with their five 5 star players. In 2008 they had a class with 5 McD all-americans which they added to an already talented team. Sound familiar? That crew won exactly zero championships. Their coach is why, not their lack of talent.

Reaction Score
Yep.

And, for the record, while there are very real differences between the games such as size, speed and strength, that doesn't mean there aren't also similarities such as the value of fundamentals and precision of execution. We are talking about two different sports but the difference isn't exactly the same as golf and football.

If there is a lack of parity, it is more the quality of coaches rather than the quality of rosters. Some people are too simple to understand that it is actually a compliment to Calhoun and Ollie to say there is as much lack of parity in the men's game because it points to how amazing it was to win despite having much less talent to work with than, say, Kentucky. Geno is what the squid would be if the squid was as good of a coach.

Lastly, you guys are becoming unhinged because I am hitting a nerve and all you can say is "dope" or make crap up.

I have no problem with Geno being considered one of the best ever, but there is no way you can make the Cal analogy when his kids are generally only there for one season.

Reaction Score
Annnd, another hater arguing with a strawman he created. This straw man apparently said Geno recruits unknowns. Try this one. This Rutgers team is actually one of their weakest, with their five 5 star players. In 2008 they had a class with 5 McD all-americans which they added to an already talented team. Sound familiar? That crew won exactly zero championships. Their coach is why, not their lack of talent.

I don't root against the Women, but I think it is idiotic of you to say that they didn't get the top recruit last year when they got 3 of the top 5 players and then 3 of the top 4 for next year. According to ESPN, last year Rutgers got 1 four star and a three star, next year 1 four and 3 threes. In the same time UConn got 7 five stars. That is a vast difference in talent.

Reaction Score
Sometime when I feel like typing there is a somewhat funny one, but it's a much better story in person. It's way too long from a phone.

The others are mostly boring, except for one I can't tell - most people wouldn't believe it anyway.

I have a relative that married into a family that is in deep with the women's program - I'm sure on Easter I'll get a whole bunch of little tidbits of minor dramas.

Damn, you are a tease. I guess you will have to be considered an a** (I wasn't one of the people who had already pegged you as one) until you feel like typing.

Reaction Score
The women's game is so sad, seriously it's pathetic. I'm sorry geno but I'll be impressed when you win 1 title in the men's game, not taking every top 5 recruit in high school and keep them 4 years. Imagine senior Kemba? That's another title. Senior Drummond? Who's stopping that in college? No one. The men's game is so much harder to coach you really can't explain it in words.
Do you find women attractive?

Reaction Score
I have no problem with Geno being considered one of the best ever, but there is no way you can make the Cal analogy when his kids are generally only there for one season.
The one and done insanity helps him, as others have pointed out. If these kids stayed for 4 years, the talent would spread out more. There would be MORE parity, not less. What Ollie achieved last year was really impressive because of the disadvantage. If Rutgers' women's coach was that good and Geno was as mediocre as the squid, Rutgers would have given them a game. People are so hell bent on being obtuse that they are missing the fact that this is simultaneously a compliment to Calhoun/Ollie and Geno. Either that or they are hell bent on never acknowledging Geno as being a great coach.

Many of the same people like to ask how he would do as a men's coach. No one knows the answer to that so why even ask? I think he would struggle with the egos and lack of discipline. If he had the ability to manage the kids like the squid does (he really is a great motivator and salesman), I personally think he would be a better men's coach than the squid. But we will never know for sure.

Reaction Score
The one and done insanity helps him, as others have pointed out. If these kids stayed for 4 years, the talent would spread out more. There would be MORE parity, not less. What Ollie achieved last year was really impressive because of the disadvantage. If Rutgers' women's coach was that good and Geno was as mediocre as the squid, Rutgers would have given them a game. People are so hell bent on being obtuse that they are missing the fact that this is simultaneously a compliment to Calhoun/Ollie and Geno. Either that or they are hell bent on never acknowledging Geno as being a great coach.

Many of the same people like to ask how he would do as a men's coach. No one knows the answer to that so why even ask? I think he would struggle with the egos and lack of discipline. If he had the ability to manage the kids like the squid does (he really is a great motivator and salesman), I personally think he would be a better men's coach than the squid. But we will never know for sure.

I think there is a fundamental disagreement between you and I on the concept of four year players increasing the parity of the men's game. Was there more parity in the 80's and 90's when it was customary to stay three or four years? I don't really think so. Sure, the talent would be more spread out...but the middle to lower class would still be operating at a talent deficit. Difference is, it would be harder to overcome that deficit because you wouldn't be playing exclusively freshman and sophomores.

But, that is a different discussion. Even if Geno is coaching more talented teams than most everybody else, he still had to earn that respect by working his way up the ladder and initially winning with under-valued players.

Reaction Score
There's no denying Auriemma is at the point where he gets a lot of top players. And if coaches in all these Power 5 leagues are allowing him to get the top ranked players 2 years in a row ( Tina Charles/Maya Moore, Kaleena Lewis/Breanna Stewart) than they sorta deserve what is coming. Getting top players does not guarantee winning the championship let alone beating every ranked team by 30. Baylor got a 6'8 giant and won once with her, including losing a gimme game to the team UConn throttled in the championship.

And getting the top players now does not mean he is not a great coach. I have the 1991 DVD of his first Final 4 team and he started 5 of the slowest most un athletic mullet wearing white girls you will ever see and still got them that far that year. And than he got local girls Lobo/Sales and beat Tennessee who had like 10 All Americans on their 1995 team. I don't think you get from that starting point to where they are now without being a great coach and to diminish his coaching abilities is rather dumb. He's certainly not without flaws. His teams don't play a lot of close games so he does look a little iffy at times in the end of game situations.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
F all this bullsh1t..... Mens...womens.....geno....Jimmy.......they're all UConn, and they're all dominant. Leave it at that....cause it's the truth.

Now let's have a real debate:...... Who's the hottest?

I've got Nurse..... I can watch her all day:oops:

(It can be past or present, and please Fishy, let's just keep it with the lady huskies;))

Reaction Score
F all this bullsh1t..... Mens...womens.....geno....Jimmy..they're all UConn, and they're all dominant. Leave it at that....cause it's the truth.

Now let's have a real debate:. Who's the hottest?

I've got Nurse..... I can watch her all day:oops:

(It can be past or present, and please Fishy, let's just keep it with the lady huskies;))

Meghan Gardler

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
How would like to be Vivian Stringer who gets a $500,000 bonus if she makes the sweet sixteen.

But she has to beat UConn to get there....
Why is she getting $500,000 bonus for doing what is basic to her job? This is insane.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Larry Brown thinks UConn can beat a WNBA team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom