OT: "Ode to NY" by #2 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: "Ode to NY" by #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You must have missed his first point, 1. "First off, HE didn't win an awful lot. He was the benefactor of being on great teams and in the right place at the right time. And having Mariano Rivera pitch the 9th inning of every game in his career didn't hurt that." I mean that's some serious insightful analysis!

I heard that last nights game was the first time Jeter took the field at Yankee Stadium with the Yanks mathematically eliminated from the playoffs!! 20 years? Obvioulsy not all him for sure but nonetheless an amazing stat

Reaction Score
That's funny. When I bring up stats to show just how awful a defensive SS he's been, you don't want those.

And what insightful analysis did Fanboy Fishy list? Jeter's awesome because he never got in trouble?

Or he's not awesome because you say so........hmmmmmm?

Reaction Score
That's funny. When I bring up stats to show just how awful a defensive SS he's been, you don't want those.

And what insightful analysis did Fanboy Fishy list? Jeter's awesome because he never got in trouble?

Or he's not awesome because you say so........hmmmmmm?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
yes it is Waq!! You will learn eventually LOL.all good!!

I'm not a Papi fan and you're not a Jeter fan - I'm good with that. I like you as a Husky fan though..I'm through!;)
You're just getting started. ;) You posted four times since that declaration. What I'd like to know is the pecking order of sports related things you have a distaste for. Particularly the Red Sox, Red Sox fans, PC, PC fans, Cuse , Cuse fans, Alex Oriakhi, Taliek Brown, Jeff Hathaway, Mark Emmert, Boston College (can't add BC fans cause I don't think there are any) or any others that I may have overlooked.:cool:

Reaction Score
I was through with Waq and 990411 not everyone LOL

Red Sox fans actually then the Red Sox. No real problem with PC just have fun with them. Cuse yes, fans and team. No distaste for Taliek at all, AO yes. Don't care or talk about Hathaway, Emmert, BC actually.

And people who ask me who I have a distaste for!! ;)

Reaction Score
I've hated the Red Sox all my life. But I will say that even though I hated Ted Williams, I always admired him. I acknowledge greatness in sports, and Williams had the best eye and probably the best stroke that I've ever seen. I saw him at the Stadium only. I have never stepped foot into Fenway and never will. It's just the way it is.
Jeter may not have had all the tools, but I've never seen a player play harder. That's what separates him from most of the ballplayers around him. Other players may have had more pure talent, but Derek worked harder. He never took a night off. Hell he never took an inning off. So he has overcome any deficiencies that may have plagued others who were as talented but not as driven as he was. Story after story about his career tells you that Derek Jeter took it seriously and out performed those around him.
So I have avoided this thread until now because I know that Sox fans are basically s who would post statistical crap that says nothing really about what Jeter has not only done for the Yankees, but for baseball. He will be a first ballot HOF'er and that's the way it is. And Red Sox fans can suck it.
How about giving Mau and all Yankee fans the moment to enjoy this? Is it really too much to ask?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've hated the Red Sox all my life. But I will say that even though I hated Ted Williams, I always admired him. I acknowledge greatness in sports, and Williams had the best eye and probably the best stroke that I've ever seen. I saw him at the Stadium only. I have never stepped foot into Fenway and never will. It's just the way it is.
Jeter may not have had all the tools, but I've never seen a player play harder. That's what separates him from most of the ballplayers around him. Other players may have had more pure talent, but Derek worked harder. He never took a night off. Hell he never took an inning off. So he has overcome any deficiencies that may have plagued others who were as talented but not as driven as he was. Story after story about his career tells you that Derek Jeter took it seriously and out performed those around him.
So I have avoided this thread until now because I know that Sox fans are basically s who would post statistical crap that says nothing really about what Jeter has not only done for the Yankees, but for baseball. He will be a first ballot HOF'er and that's the way it is. And Red Sox fans can suck it.
How about giving Mau and all Yankee fans the moment to enjoy this? Is it really too much to ask?

I'm kind of a Red Sox fan. I guess I'm probably the cheeks that surround the hole. It's one syllable vs. two making it easier to invoke. In the past I've enjoyed Yankee losses almost as much as I've enjoyed Red Sox wins. Which goes without saying I didn't alway have a lot of enjoyment. Of course there were the Whalers to give me satisfaction. Riiiight (Office Space Lumbergh style). And then UConn joined the Big East and well....

I feel Jeter and Rivera are class acts. It never stopped me from hating the evil empire but I've always admired them for who they were and what they've accomplished. I'm not much of a baseball fan currently but this thread brings back a certain nostalgia that I used to enjoy.

The interesting thing is I started out as a Yankee fan at a very young age (6 yo) but several dudes in my neighbor(hoods) were Yankee fans that belonged to the cheeky variety I mention above which soured me on the Yankees and pushed me to the Sox.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Fishy is right. These guys will start again in 5 years when Jeter's HoF vote gets him in on the first ballott. Then they will have to wait for Jeter's death and run the same stuff again.
Either way, they are still, 3 championships later, bitter and focused on the Yankees. I never spent this much energy thinking of any Red Sox player if I liked them or not or feared them or not.

There is a retirement party going on and you are welcome to join in or stay home. But your that person who goes to the party so you can complain about the guest of honor

The jury is out and people in baseball and the general public agree that he is a remarkable player worthy of a grand send off. You disagree. Fine. But you are a small minority and it doesn't really matter..

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this....did baseball start in 2004? Again, you guys are funny and really "adorable" as Fishy said! Are you 23 years old? If so I understand.....still laughable

Did you cut and paste this from the Syracuse board?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is a retirement party going on and you are welcome to join in or stay home. But your that person who goes to the party so you can complain about the guest of honor

Looks to me more like we're in one of the banquet rooms next door having a fine time and minding our own business, and you guys are the drunken boors who keep charging in to tell us we should be at your party.

The jury is out and people in baseball and the general public agree that he is a remarkable player worthy of a grand send off. You disagree. Fine. But you are a small minority and it doesn't really matter..

The jury is not out. Most people, including me, agree that he is a great player worthy of a grand send-off. There are a very, very small minority who disagree. It looks really silly imo when you are spending all your effort on negative energy trying to convince people who will never be convinced. Enjoy it yourself on your own terms and let the "haters" be. Or at least don't go seeking them out.

To put it in retirement party context, most people have paid their respects to the retiree, even those not at the party; but you won't be satisfied until you convince those few stragglers at another party who either don't care or hold a grudge against the guy for one reason or another, and that ain't gonna happen.

Put it another way: What Would Derek Do?

Reaction Score
Again, with the craziness. "if the hall of fame had a hall of fame."

He was good for a long time, has a .310 average and had over 78 RBI 3 times in 18 years during one of the livest ball eras in history. His fielding is suspect, especially with advanced metrics folded into the mix. Rock solid, but not crazy.

But "hall of fame for the hall of fame" belongs with the Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Sandy Koufax level players. My whole point is that the Jeter is Jesus crowd it going a bit overboard and you are making my point perfectly.
You're absolutely kidding me. Derek Jeter played SS in case you missed it. The idea that he isn't a unanimous, first ballot, no-brainer HOFer and one of the best ever is laughably stupid.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Did the Captain get one grooved in the 9th on Thursday night? Analysis to follow. Also thoughts on Jeter's overall skills and "captain clutchiness".

Now calculating Even Meek’s pitching in the last 7 months:

Avg Speed Delta of Mean Variance (Theta^2)
90.1 -1.357 1.841 Mean: 91.457
90.2 -1.257 1.580 Variance: 1.272
90.6 -0.857 0.734 Std Dev: 2.984
92.1 0.643 0.413
91.6 0.143 0.020
92.2 0.743 0.551
93.4 1.943 3.770
91.457 8.909

Variance: 8.909 / 7 = 1.272

Standard Deviation = Sq. Rt of 8.909 = 2.984

91.457(Average FB) – 86.1(Jeter FB) = 5.357mph

5.357mph (Delta of Avg FB and Jeter FBs) / 2.984 (Std. Dev) = 1.795 Standard Deviations from the mean

1.8 Std Deviations = .96407 %

1 – .96407 = .03593% Chance

Jeter’s BA: .255 Std. Deviation %: .03593

.255 (Jetere BA) = 1 in 3.921 .03593 (FB @ 86.1 mph %) = 1 in 27.831

Chances of Derek Jeter Getting a hit on a 86.1 mph Fastball from Evan Meek: 1/109.12 chance

Derek Jeter had a 0.9 % Chance of doing that naturally last night

OVERALL THOUGHTS ON JETER:

Great in the 90′s, above avg in the early 00′s, average end of 00′s, worst player in baseball since 2010… the stats say it all. I hate Yankee Fanboys.

Close and late game situations for Derek Jeter all time in the playoffs – CAPTAIN CLUTCH? More like Mr. Hopefully Make Some Contact.

7th inning or later: Leading by 1, tied, or have the tie run in the on deck circle:

Player Team Pos G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
Jeter, D NYY SS - 7 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 .286 .286 .286 .571
Jeter, D NYY SS - 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000
Jeter, D NYY SS - 3 0 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 .667 .667 1.000 1.667
Jeter, D NYY SS - 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 4 0 0 .000 .200 .000 .200
Jeter, D NYY SS - 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000
Jeter, D NYY SS - 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000
Jeter, D NYY SS - 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 .000 .000 .000 .000
Jeter, D NYY SS - 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 .000 .222 .000 .222
Jeter, D NYY SS - 9 2 2 2 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 .222 .222 .444 .667
Jeter, D NYY SS - 9 2 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 .222 .300 .556 .856
Jeter, D NYY SS - 9 1 2 0 0 0 0 2 4 0 0 .222 .364 .222 .586
Jeter, D NYY SS - 7 0 5 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 .714 .750 .714 1.464

LINK

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You're absolutely kidding me. Derek Jeter played SS in case you missed it. The idea that he isn't a unanimous, first ballot, no-brainer HOFer and one of the best ever is laughably stupid.

There has never been a unanimous first ballot HOFer ever.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Whoops, forgot to include the graph that should have led off the Jeter statistical analysis post 2 above:

jeter.png

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Looks to me more like we're in one of the banquet rooms next door having a fine time and minding our own business, and you guys are the drunken boors who keep charging in to tell us we should be at your party.

The jury is not out. Most people, including me, agree that he is a great player worthy of a grand send-off. There are a very, very small minority who disagree. It looks really silly imo when you are spending all your effort on negative energy trying to convince people who will never be convinced. Enjoy it yourself on your own terms and let the "haters" be. Or at least don't go seeking them out.

To put it in retirement party context, most people have paid their respects to the retiree, even those not at the party; but you won't be satisfied until you convince those few stragglers at another party who either don't care or hold a grudge against the guy for one reason or another, and that ain't gonna happen.

If the noise was just "He's not the best player ever" and "I'm tired of the on-going celebration" I'd be 100% with you. About 20% of the folks commenting about this are in that category. But most love going after Jeter with a frustration from deep within them and with a lack of objectivity that is hard not to respond to. Useless to respond to certain individuals no doubt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If the noise was just "He's not the best player ever" and "I'm tired of the on-going celebration" I'd be 100% with you. About 20% of the folks commenting about this are in that category. But most love going after Jeter with a frustration from deep within them and with a lack of objectivity that is hard not to respond to. Useless to respond to certain individuals no doubt.
Don't mistake volume and repetition with numbers. Granted they are vocal, but they are still a very small minority.

Reaction Score
Great in the 90′s, above avg in the early 00′s, average end of 00′s, worst player in baseball since 2010… the stats say it all. I ing hate Yankee Fanboys.

So in 2012, when he led the league in hits, won a silver slugger and was 7th in MVP voting, he was the worst player in baseball?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So in 2012, when he led the league in hits, won a silver slugger and was 7th in MVP voting, he was the worst player in baseball?

lol.

Forget it - the kid has an IQ of a turnip.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
lol.
Forget it - the kid has an IQ of a turnip.

Just so we're clear, that's not my analysis (ie everything after the opening comment). See link at bottom of post. For some reason, didn't post in as italics.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

If it was only one party, you probably wouldn't hear much of a peep from anyone. But a year of fawning adulation (no matter who it is) is lame. Same thing with getting beaten over the head by Tebow and Manziel (at least Jeter did something).

Apparently he would have 20 or 30 retirement parties?

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Some people just like to laugh at statements like: "You're absolutely kidding me. Derek Jeter played SS in case you missed it. The idea that he isn't a unanimous, first ballot, no-brainer HOFer and one of the best ever is laughably stupid."

So basically, he should be recognized above Aaron, Mays, Gehrig, Williams, et al., none of whom were first ballot Hall of Famers. Obviously just one small example.

Reaction Score
If it was only one party, you probably wouldn't hear much of a peep from anyone. But a year of fawning adulation (no matter who it is) is lame. Same thing with getting beaten over the head by Tebow and Manziel (at least Jeter did something).

Apparently he would has 20 or 30 retirement parties?

You're whacked! The post with the graphs is somewhat stalker-ish.........pretty sure you got issues!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You're whacked! The post with the graphs is somewhat stalker-ish....pretty sure you got issues!

As I said earlier, the material for that post was a direct copy/paste from somebody's blog, not my own analysis (the link was included at the bottom of the original post). I couldn't be arsed to do more than a quick google search for OBP. That's as far as I'd go for Jeets! Who I like and respect btw.

And everybody that frequents this board has issues. Whether they admit to it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom