OT: Now playing for UConn Soccer | The Boneyard

OT: Now playing for UConn Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As great as that goal was, the problem I have with soccer is that I'm an old-fashioned dumb American who doesn't like to spend six or seven games waiting for the one highlight second or two. One of my sons (almost middle-age) is a fanatic, always watching the Euro leagues and now coaching his daughter's team . The latter I can understand.

C

Chief00

As great as that goal was, the problem I have with soccer is that I'm an old-fashioned dumb American who doesn't like to spend six or seven games waiting for the one highlight second or two. One of my sons (almost middle-age) is a fanatic, always watching the Euro leagues and now coaching his daughter's team . The latter I can understand.
I am with you overall !

Reaction Score

I love soccer and could watch any game between any two teams regardless of the score, but I understand that some people don't enjoy it. The thing is, goals aren't the only highlights of the game. Some of the most exciting games I've ever watched have ended up 1-0 or 0-0 at the end of regulation. I guess you just have to appreciate parts of the game that don't end up in goals to really enjoy soccer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I love soccer and could watch any game between any two teams regardless of the score, but I understand that some people don't enjoy it. The thing is, goals aren't the only highlights of the game. Some of the most exciting games I've ever watched have ended up 1-0 or 0-0 at the end of regulation. I guess you just have to appreciate parts of the game that don't end up in goals to really enjoy soccer.
agreed, watching all the different styles of play makes it great, barca, chelsea, bayern, psg, juventus, etc...if you turn a 2-1/1-0 score into 14-7/7-0 you have a football score. people dont like it bc it's not american, it's european it's soft. there's more movement and action in a soccer game than a football game

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Well how about Football then? There's a play that lasts about 5 seconds, then atleast 30 seconds of standing around, then a 2 min commercial break, and it lasts for over 3 hours.
Soccer is constant action for 45 minutes, then halftime (which is the only commercial break) then 45 min of action. In and out, under 2 hours. Boom.
I guess you just have to appreciate the skill (other than goals) of soccer players, especially at the highest level.
There's a reason the majority of countries like soccer more than any other sports- we, as a country, are just stubborn. But that will change with the younger generation's higher interest in soccer, and especially soccer video games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well how about Football then? There's a play that lasts about 5 seconds, then atleast 30 seconds of standing around, then a 2 min commercial break, and it lasts for over 3 hours.

Soccer is constant action for 45 minutes, then halftime (which is the only commercial break) then 45 min of action. In and out, under 2 hours. Boom.
I guess you just have to appreciate the skill (other than goals) of soccer players, especially at the highest level.[/QUOTE

The point isn't the flow. It's the rate at which really different or exciting plays happen. Running up and down isn't necessarily "action". More like "motion" of mostly slow developing plays. There are a ton more "wow" plays in almost every football game and the result of every play is unpredictable compared to 99.9 % of soccer possessions. It's kinda why unusual goals standout like the one in the video. . It isn't about the skill for my taste. What makes soccer possibly interesting is the uncertainty of scoring in most relatively evenly matched games. Different strokes.

By the way, the no huddle and prevalence of "hurry up"makes the break between football plays much less than before. Non TV games don't take that long. TV timeouts add at least a half hour to fb games. Soccer has the screwy injury extra time which is instead of straight injury time outs.

Reaction Score
I was just in ST Maarten two weeks ago.
When went to the beach at our resort daily.
Next to us there were a group of boys ages from about 10 to 14 ,from 4 or 5 different countries speaking a variety of languages. One of the boys had brought a pair of small goals and a ball.
Communiacating in gestures they managed to organize even teams and play soccer daily.
As a former coach the skill and creatitivity of these boys playing barefoot on the sandy beach was amazing. The purity and beauty of the game was on display.

Reaction Score
I guess you just have to appreciate the skill (other than goals) of soccer players, especially at the highest level.
There's a reason the majority of countries like soccer more than any other sports- we, as a country, are just stubborn. But that will change with the younger generation's higher interest in soccer, and especially soccer video games.
I find myself going "damn, that was a great play/display of athleticism/power" at least once per quarter per NFL game.

I might say that once per soccer game (like in the video). I think part of the reason Americans find it boring is because it's too often a ball just getting launched back and forth, peppered in with grown men falling down that makes NBA flops look like flagrant fouls.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Football>basketball>soccer. I like all three, but football is the most entertaining.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I just had a very timely text from my wife who is taking part in a program in Spain this week. She wanted to know if my soccer-crazed son likes Real Madrid, obviously shopping for a gift. I don't know the answer, but even if he hates them, which I doubt,I'm sure he'd not reject a hat or T. When we were in Spain a few years ago and in Barcelona, some pr0-soccer team was staying on our floor in the hotel. I don't know if they were all juiced or something, but they were the noisiest people. I think everyone on the floor complained to the management who we think got them to simmer down or at least keep it inside their rooms.

Reaction Score

Wouldn't this be every other nationality in the world's reaction to watching an RB on a 4 yard TD run?

A 50 yard bomb, they can all understand. That happens once a game if you're lucky.

Reaction Score
I just had a very timely text from my wife who is taking part in a program in Spain this week. She wanted to know if my soccer-crazed son likes Real Madrid, obviously shopping for a gift. I don't know the answer, but even if he hates them, which I doubt,I'm sure he'd not reject a hat or T. When we were in Spain a few years ago and in Barcelona, some pr0-soccer team was staying on our floor in the hotel. I don't know if they were all juiced or something, but they were the noisiest people. I think everyone on the floor complained to the management who we think got them to simmer down or at least keep it inside their rooms.

get off the PC and get to the golf course for crying out loud!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Wouldn't this be every other nationality in the world's reaction to watching an RB on a 4 yard TD run?

A 50 yard bomb, they can all understand. That happens once a game if you're lucky.
Every other nationality is schooled in soccer. But that doesn't mean it's nuts to think that watching a game where it's intentionally designed that even a great maneuver will close to 100% of the time result in nothing and everyone knows it, is all that exciting. If the finer points of soccer are lost on me, I really don't care because the game really is more motion than action. I get that a score is great, but basically because it's a reward to the fans for sitting there for 89 minutes with not much else happening. Just my bad attitude.

Reaction Score
Every other nationality is schooled in soccer. But that doesn't mean it's nuts to think that watching a game where it's intentionally designed that even a great maneuver will close to 100% of the time result in nothing and everyone knows it, is all that exciting. If the finer points of soccer are lost on me, I really don't care because the game really is more motion than action. I get that a score is great, but basically because it's a reward to the fans for sitting there for 89 minutes with not much else happening. Just my bad attitude.

All I'm saying is that people are equally bored by sports you favor. Making it easier to score doesn't necessarily increase the excitement level. I mean, in basketball, there are 70 scores per game, as opposed to 5 in football.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
get off the PC and get to the golf course for crying out loud!
I'm actually about to leave for my soccer loving son's house where he's sure to be plunked in front of the TV. At least he has a swimming pool. He doesn't play golf that often, but he is a very long hitter, good athlete generally.

Reaction Score
I think part of the reason Americans find it boring is because it's too often a ball just getting launched back and forth, peppered in with grown men falling down that makes NBA flops look like flagrant fouls.

My sister doesn't like football because she thinks it's just a bunch of fat guys in spandex hugging each other. It's obvious she's never sat down to watch a game, but it's pointless to argue about it with her. You remind me of my sister except soccer is your football.

Reaction Score
My sister doesn't like football because she thinks it's just a bunch of fat guys in spandex hugging each other. It's obvious she's never sat down to watch a game, but it's pointless to argue about it with her. You remind me of my sister except soccer is your football.
Meh I'd say I have watched a lot of soccer, and I went to games all the time at UConn. Just a genuinely relatively boring game to watch overall in my opinion. Now I just watch the World Cup to pull for Germany. It's a good excuse to drink

There's some impressive finesse going on at the player level for sure. I guess I like sports where physical contact is a part of the game. I'd say soccer is far less of a contact sport than even basketball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Free kick setup was more impressive than the goal. Not to take anything away from a cool goal but that long pass was THAT impressive.

Reaction Score
To each his own. I personally never understood the appeal of baseball. I feel like it's 3 hours worth of a game with very little action. Of course, baseball fans will say I don't appreciate the skill it takes to throw 90 mph or to hit a curveball. And they're right, same way some fans don't appreciate a slide tackle in soccer or movement off the ball. It's all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom