OT: North Carolina receives Notice of Allegations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: North Carolina receives Notice of Allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hello from reality: Nobody but a handful of message board types care what is vacated. You actually can't change the past through press releases.

Reaction Score
SMU was paying players significant sums of money,via a special slush fund.
Even after they were under investigation and knew the NCAA was closing in.
They continued to pay players because they feared ,if they didn't , current players would co-operate with investigators.
I believe they thought is was normal business in the old Southwest Conference,it might have been but they got caught.
Since this is the direction college football is heading ,one might say SMU was ahead of its time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Fixed it for you. Pretty sure it wasn't invented upon Obamas election regardless of what Fox News tells ya.
Fixed it for yourself, not me
And get off the Fox News lib talking points

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Fixed it for yourself, not me
And get off the Fox News lib talking points

The best even event on Fox News was election night 2012 watching Karl Rove have a meltdown over the Presidential Election results, especially in Ohio.

This is going to go down hill quickly. Both of you need to put on your big boy pants and leave politics out of a basketball forum. Please.

Reaction Score
All the buzz is saying UNC will skate. I hope you fellas don't take it to heart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One reason and one reason only, MONEY.
You are right Conehead. Think about how much NCAA tourney money would need to be repaid if those games are forfeited. It is an enormous amount of money. That's a big part of the reason it won't happen. If it was actually just record books, it would be far less of a big deal.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A 2 year post season ban starting this year would be fine.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
anything less than a year post season ban is a huge joke
Only a year? Are you kidding me? We got that much for accurately reporting transfer grades. It should be far, far more.

Given that 'cuse got a number of wins vacated and a one year ban (in a season they weren't likely to go anyway) for one decade of academic fraud, paying players and drug use, I'd guess a two year post season ban, plus vacated wins (say about twice Syracuse's total) for UNC's two decade long academic fraud. Again, it should be far, far more.

Reaction Score
Only a year? Are you kidding me? We got that much for accurately reporting transfer grades. It should be far, far more.

Given that 'cuse got a number of wins vacated and a one year ban (in a season they weren't likely to go anyway) for one decade of academic fraud, paying players and drug use, I'd guess a two year post season ban, plus vacated wins (say about twice Syracuse's total) for UNC's two decade long academic fraud. Again, it should be far, far more.

Any school that accurately reports APR is too dumb to be called an educational institution.

Reaction Score

And we were trying to meet the standards of a moving target. Its like saying ready, set...... (um where is go)? I guess i should start running since everyone else is now.

UNC should get a 3 year post season ban AND many scholarships taken away

Reaction Score
And we were trying to meet the standards of a moving target. Its like saying ready, set. (um where is go)? I guess i should start running since everyone else is now.

UNC should get a 3 year post season ban AND many scholarships taken away

Our APR situation and UNC's situation are distinguishable and I believe UNC will wind up with a penalty that has limited to no impact on them. Roy is right. The biggest damage has been the impact on recruiting due to anticipation of penalties.

UConn gave the NCAA a free punch. There was a rule on the books with a stated penalty. I can't understand how the rule was changed to impact us retroactively, but it was. All the NCAA had to do was show that we didn't hit a metric and the rest was set in writing.

In the UNC situation, like Penn State, Syracuse, Miami, USC, etc., the NCAA has to pursue enforcement based upon analysis, interpretation, and proof. They are going to want to find a penalty that UNC is ok accepting so that they don't have to go through the process of enforcing their decision.

I think the NCAA and UNC realize that something has to be done. They'll work with eachother to figure out what UNC can accept vs. what public opinion will necessitate. I look for a loss of a couple scholarships for a couple years and a one year post season ban that will allow them their shot at a championship.

Reaction Score
Our APR situation and UNC's situation are distinguishable and I believe UNC will wind up with a penalty that has limited to no impact on them. Roy is right. The biggest damage has been the impact on recruiting due to anticipation of penalties.

UConn gave the NCAA a free punch. There was a rule on the books with a stated penalty. I can't understand how the rule was changed to impact us retroactively, but it was. All the NCAA had to do was show that we didn't hit a metric and the rest was set in writing.

In the UNC situation, like Penn State, Syracuse, Miami, USC, etc., the NCAA has to pursue enforcement based upon analysis, interpretation, and proof. They are going to want to find a penalty that UNC is ok accepting so that they don't have to go through the process of enforcing their decision.

I think the NCAA and UNC realize that something has to be done. They'll work with eachother to figure out what UNC can accept vs. what public opinion will necessitate. I look for a loss of a couple scholarships for a couple years and a one year post season ban that will allow them their shot at a championship.

I understand what you are saying. But its pretty messed up. If you compare what we did (or didnt get a chance to do) vs what UNC did there should be a measure of how bad one thing is vs the other when determining a punishment. I'd rather the NCAA go overboard and pull it back in later because UNC is complaining about it, rather than let them off lightly with something that UNC agrees to. If UNC agrees to a punishment, its not punishment enough.

Its like your mom saying what you did is wrong. Now what should we do to teach you a lesson? Well i dont want to be grounded all week, how about a day? Sunday (because i dont want to go to church). And hmm, you can take away 2 of my toys that i get to choose. And No dessert on Wednesday ( i hate apple pie). does that work for everyone?

So its not about teaching UNC a lesson, its about giving them a punishment that will save face for the NCAA with the public and that UNC will accept and it wont hurt them too bad. NCAA is as screwed up as it gets.

Reaction Score
I understand what you are saying. But its pretty messed up. If you compare what we did (or didnt get a chance to do) vs what UNC did there should be a measure of how bad one thing is vs the other when determining a punishment. I'd rather the NCAA go overboard and pull it back in later because UNC is complaining about it, rather than let them off lightly with something that UNC agrees to. If UNC agrees to a punishment, its not punishment enough.

Its like your mom saying what you did is wrong. Now what should we do to teach you a lesson? Well i dont want to be grounded all week, how about a day? Sunday (because i dont want to go to church). And hmm, you can take away 2 of my toys that i get to choose. And No dessert on Wednesday ( i hate apple pie). does that work for everyone?

So its not about teaching UNC a lesson, its about giving them a punishment that will save face for the NCAA with the public and that UNC will accept and it wont hurt them too bad. NCAA is as screwed up as it gets.

To make it clear, I don't disagree with you. In fact, as a parent, I'll go a step further. It's like the mom in your scenario knowing that taking away an ipod or tv is the best punishment, but not wanting to do it because that also hurts the mom. And yes, I've avoided taking away devices when I knew it would result in more work for me. I know it will backfire in the future (giving a weak punishment) and maybe it'll happen to the NCAA as well.

Reaction Score

it should be but it probably wont, you really believe that the NCAA is going to make an example out of a team that generates an enormous amount of revenue for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom