OT: NFL Hazing/Bullying | The Boneyard

OT: NFL Hazing/Bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There has been so much news coverage of the Incognito/Martin/Miami Dolphins matter that it has almost removed really important topics (e.g., Kardashian, Lohan, Toronto Mayor Ford, etc.) from the news.

I invite your attention to how one NFL rookie handled hazing at training camp. The rookie was Jack Lambert, arguably the most revered Steeler of them all. He was drafted as a 205 lb. linebacker, never exceeded 220, earned 4 Super Bowl rings, played in 9 Pro Bowls, entered the Hall of Fame, and no Steeler will ever wear his #58. Here's how he responded to hazing.

Page 188 of "The Ones Who Hit the Hardest": "In the grand tradition of training camp, one of [the veterans] tried to make Lambert sing the Kent State fight song. His response was simply: 'Kiss my ass -- I'm not singing anything.' No one asked again."

I wonder how Incognito and Lambert would have got along as teammates.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Incognito would never have survived.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I should add that the name of that book was derived from a quote by Lambert: "I believe that [football] is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play."

jack-lambert.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There has been so much news coverage of the Incognito/Martin/Miami Dolphins matter that it has almost removed really important topics (e.g., Kardashian, Lohan, Toronto Mayor Ford, etc.) from the news.
I don't know, Mayor Ford is doing his damndest to keep his name in the news.

The Icognito/Martin thing is a mess. The more that comes out the messier it gets. Not sure who is more messed up, Icongnito, Martin or the Dolphins?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Martin needs to grow a pair. He's an adult not a teen age girl.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But he can go away and get re-elected again. (if not in Toronto at least in DC)

What about that wild mayor in San Diego? I recall that he cut a pretty wide swath.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Martin needs to grow a pair. He's an adult not a teen age girl.

I don't know what is or isn't the truth, nor would I deign to judge someone's ability to speak up for themselves or not, but I find it intriguing that you single out teen age girls as your example of weakness and your identification of having "a pair" as sign of strength.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What about that wild mayor in San Diego? I recall that he cut a pretty wide swath.
Haven't heard about him. I can't keep up with all of them. :rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't know what is or isn't the truth, nor would I deign to judge someone's ability to speak up for themselves or not, but I find it intriguing that you single out teen age girls as your example of weakness and your identification of having "a pair" as sign of strength.

I was simply pointing out that an adult male would know how to handle locker room BS. I will concede your point about teen age girls though. There is no doubt that when it comes to bullying they seem to be the cruelest of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom